Nebraska (4-4) vs. Creighton (6-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Really? You were expecting more from this team?  It’s a transition year.

I expect competency... I expect to compete.  No one is saying we should make the post-season, but I think it's fair to expect to beat Southern Utah or not give up 38 points before we score 10.  These are still D1 players that were recruited to play Big 10 basketball.

Just now, hskr4life said:

I expect competency... I expect to compete.  No one is saying we should make the post-season, but I think it's fair to expect to beat Southern Utah or not give up 38 points before we score 10.  These are still D1 players that were recruited to play Big 10 basketball.

Yes.

I understand that we don't have everything in place in a transition year, but I don't understand how the NBA tanking mentality has taken hold in college. You have a set of players, you have to coach an play in way that gives you a chance to win. This idea of building for the future only works if you are developing and improving. COMPETE!

2 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

Yes.

I understand that we don't have everything in place in a transition year, but I don't understand how the NBA tanking mentality has taken hold in college. You have a set of players, you have to coach an play in way that gives you a chance to win. This idea of building for the future only works if you are developing and improving. COMPETE!

The other thing that I expect is improvement as you have said.  It isn't like we're playing decent to good and getting the barn door blown off.  We look as bad today as we did on night 1.

Well fellas, this sucks. I work with a bunch of CU Alums in Omaha and work won’t be fun on Monday. I will just say this. Somewhere, somehow, Nebraska male athletes don’t compete with as much fire as other schools. I know that’s a big generalization, but look at Marcus Zegarowski and Shereef Mitchell. Those guys are playing 120% full out offensively and defensively. Their effort can’t be questioned. Most of our guys look like they’d rather go back to the “just got done with the scrimmage now waiting for Rick Ross to perform” memory.  You can say it’s a transition year or a rebuilding year all you want, but that doesn’t mean the players should come out tucked and defeated within the first few minutes. My CU alum coworkers all told me this was a massive rebuilding year for CU, I think they only have 7 available scholarship players today.

i didn’t expect to win, but I did expect more effort and fight. 

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

5-4 Syracuse? That doesn't surprise me at all. Expectations are low on my end; even lower after the first two loses. But it's just heartbreaking. I'm not seeing any improvement from either offense or defense so far this season.

Would very much accept any positive signs from anyone on here if they don't agree with this. I just personally haven't seen it.

We saw the improvement throughout the first seven games when competition was poor to below average. Creighton is the first team we have played that is top 40ish. Once we play these types of teams consistently, im sure we will see improvement as well. Unfortunately that likely means 20-25 point losses improving to 10-15 point losses rn...

7 minutes ago, khoock said:

Could be true for some. Its hard to tell when everyone/everything is new, many players are playing out of position and are taking on bigger roles than what their skill level calls for.

Name me one guy on this roster that you believe will ever be a difference maker in the B1G?

2 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Well fellas, this sucks. I work with a bunch of CU Alums in Omaha and work won’t be fun on Monday. I will just say this. Somewhere, somehow, Nebraska male athletes don’t compete with as much fire as other schools. I know that’s a big generalization, but look at Marcus Zegarowski and Shereef Mitchell. Those guys are playing 120% full out offensively and defensively. Their effort can’t be questioned. Most of our guys look like they’d rather go back to the “just got done with the scrimmage now waiting for Rick Ross to perform” memory.  You can say it’s a transition year or a rebuilding year all you want, but that doesn’t mean the players should come out tucked and defeated within the first few minutes. My CU alum coworkers all told me this was a massive rebuilding year for CU, I think they only have 7 available scholarship players today.

i didn’t expect to win, but I did expect more effort and fight. 

Well no offense, but your coworker is an idiot lol. Didnt they return almost all of their team from a year ago that happened to make a deep run in the NIT and be in the bubble discussion most of the year?  I don't even follow Creighton and I know they were expecting to have a really good year (before injuries)

Creighton is a good team—middle of the pack B1G caliber.  I think this is what we’re in for on the road in conference all year.  Gotta learn to defend home court this season because we are going to get boat raced on the road a lot.

Also, we’re very, very young and our best players are arguably sitting out absorbing this asswhooping.  Lastly, I highly doubt this staff will have difficulty recruiting from this season on.