Samari Curtis

Bugeaters1

Just now, dustystehl said:

I had a feeling this would happen. Especially after what I saw during the Southern Utah game.

Just saw your bump, nice read. Very talented but if that attitude reared it's head this early, he will need to check that. Also with Hoiberg's NBA connections, maybe not the best person to butt heads with!

15 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Has to be something more. Before season Fred was extremely high on Curtis, went out of his way to say sky is the limit for him.

Hoiberg didn't recruit Burke nor Thor. Kavas and Cheatham won't be here next year anyway. The simplest explanation for Curtis not playing was that he wasn't good enough in practice to crack the rotation and the simplest explanation for his leaving is that he didn't come here to sit.

21 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

You were the first one banging that drum! You might be right, but it's hard to know which came first the chicken or the egg. Was Curtis mad because he wasn't playing, or was he not playing because he was already checked out. 

Wish I want.  I was pretty high on him from what he did in HS, what Fred said, and he ability to make shots in limited action.

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Hoiberg didn't recruit Burke nor Thor. Kavas and Cheatham won't be here next year anyway. The simplest explanation for Curtis not playing was that he wasn't good enough in practice to crack the rotation and the simplest explanation for his leaving is that he didn't come here to sit.

That is really hard to believe considering the product that is being put on the floor.  But even if true, is this year really about finding the best 8 practice players and giving them all the playing time?  Or is it about finding the most promising young prospects and playing them and developing them for the future?  This season is already a lost cause.  Why are we wasting the present on transfer seniors like Kavas who have no part in the future and will take us nowhere this year?

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I would guess it’s as simple as that, throw in homesick, GF troubles, the usual Freshmen issues and he’s OUT...

I would be surprised if there isn't another player who transfers by the end of the year, at least.

When Coaches with Hoiberg's ability and expectations field a team this bad, or perhaps "incomplete" yet there are scholarship players who don't see playing time it usually portends roster upheaval. I have always used Kansas as the measure of a healthy program. I can't recall ever seeing a scholarship freshman non-contributor stick around more than a couple of years before transferring- usually they leave after their
forgettable freshman season. Scholarships are golden and if one aims for real success then seeing a man perpetually riding the bench is alarming. I am not saying improvement through the years isn't to be expected but rarely does anyone go from next to no minutes as freshmen on a bad team to any kind of large contribution in the next couple of years. I certainly can't recall any at NU- perhaps someone else does. Nevertheless an example cited likely proves the "rule"

In addition to (hopefully) Teddy Allen, NU needs two great re-bounders next season to make significant improvement so Curtis' defection may be viewed as addition by subtraction. Now we'll see if Abdelmassih is worth the high salary. (I think he is but the verdict is out....)

OP has a weird, and some might think, unhealthy obsession with Teddy Allen.  Also, a bad habit of cluttering up the board with constant new threads finding ways to mention Teddy Allen.

Here's a tip for anyone who thinks it might be a good idea to click on the button labeled "Start new topic"...don't.

Just don't.  There's almost always already a relevant topic on the board where one can post their thoughts.

There's already at least two current threads OP could have posted his thoughts in that would serve to move discussion forward.  Starting new threads to post a random thought then never following up is a strong indicator of troll activity and whenever we have a new member that comes in and starts a bunch of new threads I'm always very leery.

And just for the record, @Husker Hoops Penitent seems like an okay person.  I don't really have a beef with his Teddy Allen obsession per se, I just have hope that he will be a more active participant in the community's discussion rather than forcing everyone to participate in topics only he's interested in.  This is just a pet peeve of mine.  I wish there was a minimum post requirement for starting new threads here.

Edited by 49r

To the Husker community, and 49r in particular- I meant no harm by starting a new thread and will try to participate more in current threads. I must confess a weakness for Husker outbursts of that nature. 

As for my obsession with Allen, it definitely is that, and quite likely unhealthy. Consider it a form of P.T.S.D. at seeing the rare few local players who could likely reverse the trend of Husker basketball's historic underachievement sign with other schools. But I will go one step further: the whole notion of a fifty-four year old man caring about the on-court results of late-teen-early twenty year old men I don't know, playing a game I never played competitively is weird. As for the oblique intimations that I am a troll are unfounded. I'm quite sure I would score in the upper 80th percentile in any reasonable survey of Husker basketball history, but as I am not as seasoned as 49r in message board protocols it seems fair to assume.

That said, now go get Teddy Allen!

@Husker Hoops Penitent thanks for taking my constructive criticism at face value, I certainly don't want to discourage you from posting, like I said you seem like a pretty all right guy.  I personally just like to see people get rewarded by starting thoughtful topics that have lots of active participation, and I think that when someone else then starts a very similar topic of discussion, especially when that similar thread is still so active, that seems like a slight to the original thread topic, plus it really clutters up the board.  But like I said before it's a pet peeve of mine, that's all.

And believe me when I say you aren't alone in your desire to see Nebrasketball start to lock down the local talent once again.  That's how Danny built such a strong program during his time here.

But also join me in recognizing that there are more dudes out there than just this one.  I'm willing to put my complete trust in this staff to accurately evaluate who is likely to be a perfect fit for their program, and willing to let that happen.  Hopefully the rest of us can too, because if we're willing to be patient I think they can build something pretty special here.

If it happens to be they think Allen will work out then I'm good with that.  If not, I'm good with that too.  Trust me when I say I know that Fred Hoiberg alone has more basketball knowledge in his pinky finger than the entirety of the HHC community has combined.  (except maybe Bruce Chubick but I'm not sure he's ever on here any more)

Oh, and 54 is probably closer to the median age of the posters here than you might realize.  😀