Most disturbing shooting trends I’ve seen so far.

bkamler

On our field goal shooting and free throw shooting there is a one unfortunate thread. When we miss we aren’t usually just short or long nor are we usually just left or right of the basket...we are some combination of both!

In my shooting days it was one or the other that caused a misfire which made it so much easier to make a slight correction to your release and follow thru to make your shot true. 

Don’t know what can be done to affect a quick fix to a shooter when his shot is both off line and off distance. 

Gonna be a long season I’m afraid.

Regarding the FT %, as others have pointed out, some of these guys weren't good shooters at other places last year. I'll add that they're also adjusting to a very fast pace, and it affects your breathing and legs when you go to the line. Eventually they'll adjust, although not as much if they're just poor free throw shooters.

As for 3pt%, they're also adjusting to facing better opponents who close out with bigger players. They should adjust to that as well, along with learning better shot selection.

As for suggestions that they practice more, all of these guys have taken tens of thousands of shots and have received hundreds of "tips." You can't improve depth perception,  muscle coordination, wrist structure, etc.  Some guys just shoot better than others. Shaq wasn't a 52% FT shooter because he didn't practice them. Going way back, I remember somebody with the old Philadelphia 76ers (might have been Billy C) saying nobody on the team practiced FTs more than Wilt, a career 50% shooter. He eventually tried grannie style and supposedly even considered trying to run a couple of steps and dunking them. I wish somebody would try that.