uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; 8 at Georgia Tech

hhcmatt

10 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

32/23/44 shooting percentages with 18 turnovers. i don't think there's a D1 team in the country we would have beat with those numbers.

if we lay an egg against creighton this season is going to start looking like a lost cause.

This season is "lost" already in terms of record.  It's only going to get worse (and this included the beat down we'll most likely receive from the boys in blue).

I'm starting to think the average score of our conference games is going to have a 20-point differential between the good guys and the bad guys.

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Keisei Tominaga and Teddy Allen are a combined 98/110 (89.1%) right now, by the way. 
Samari was 78% on about a million attempts last year. 
Kevin Cross shot 79% last year.

Its unfortunate that our 4 starting guards are such poor free throw shooters.

When we have to send a guy to the line after a flopping tech, it should be Curtis if he's on the court. Kavas is shooting 10-14 but I think he's missed any of those freebies he's taken.

2 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

You've gotta be kidding me - Jervay Green shot 53% from the line in juco? Wow. It is completely unacceptable for a college basketball player at the guard position to be shooting anywhere below 65%, let alone 55%.

That jumped out at me too. His mechanics are sound & he has a nice stroke, as someone with a “scorer’s mentality” he needs to look at these as literally FREE points.

3 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

jervay was 53% FT in juco.------- 52% this season

cam was 64% FT in juco.-------- 56% this season

hannif was 72% career FT before this year.------- 56% this season

dachon was 66% FT at robert morris.------  59.5% this season

yvan 55% FT in france-----  45% this season.

we shouldn't be real surprised i guess... hannif is the only one that has really dropped off.

FWIW southern utah is the only game we would have won from having better FT shooting, but the fact we are so bad at Free Throws is just a bad sign overall for the offense.

As Paul Harvey might have said:  "It Must be the Shoes Rims!"

Cross looked like the 'Freshman who went on a holiday tournament trip and it looks like it messed him up a bit' last night.

Georgia Tech is a defensive team with elite shotblocking and a lot of length; the poor shooting from us is to be expected. Our only two players to shoot over 50% were upperclassmen. I hope that after time against high level Div-1 competition that Green and Mack will adjust, as well as the younger players. Burke, I suspect, will be an inefficient high volume scorer for us.

Only saw the first half. I thought we got some quality looks at the basket. I didn't think we looked outclassed by Georgia Tech. Perhaps I'm too much of a glass half full guy, but I believe we are gonna get some surprise wins. This won't be a throw away year. Wins may be hard to come by, but the experience our guys will get paying in the Big Ten will pay dividends in the years to come. 

18 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

Only saw the first half. I thought we got some quality looks at the basket. I didn't think we looked outclassed by Georgia Tech. Perhaps I'm too much of a glass half full guy, but I believe we are gonna get some surprise wins. This won't be a throw away year. Wins may be hard to come by, but the experience our guys will get paying in the Big Ten will pay dividends in the years to come. 

The more that I think about it, the more that I think this is why I was so frustrated last night.  It was the fact that this was a very winnable game... even for this team.  GTech wasn't great, but they did beat NCST earlier this year.  If we shoot a little better on FT's and make our bunnies, we actually probably go into half with a rather large lead for our standards.

Didn't watch any of the game, first road game (if you exclude the Caymans trip) so I was curious how the team would come out. Didn't look good when I checked. Which I half expected, all of these guys with the exception of Haanif and Thor are playing P5 basketball for the first time. There will be an adjustment period for these guys against P5 teams with some skill guys. 

I said it before, and I'll say it again. PATIENCE. It will be a roller coaster of a year. There will be highs and extreme lows. 

Excited for Creighton Saturday. Probably won't win, but curious how the guys come out after being beat in every facet yesterday. 

12 hours ago, brfrad said:

Interesting tidbit.  For as bad as our Free Throw shooting has been, we have made 103 free throws.  Our opponents have attempted 102.

This is yet another sign that Fred’s offensive system is for real.  We’ll get players who can convert those over time.  I’ve been extremely impressed with the shots we take and the open looks we get at the rim and on the perimeter.  It’s fun to watch even when we’re struggling.  

Keisei Tominaga, for example, is going to score a ton of points in Fred’s system.  I think there will be more players of his mold (pure gunners) moving forward.  

18 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

You've gotta be kidding me - Jervay Green shot 53% from the line in juco? Wow. It is completely unacceptable for a college basketball player at the guard position to be shooting anywhere below 65%, let alone 55%.

i'm guessing coaches overlooked this because he shot 40% from 3 in juco. unfortunately he is not shooting anywhere near 40% from 3 at the D1 level so far.