Duke (6-2) vs. Nebraska (7-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Huskers Shoot Past Duke

image.png

Ashtyn Veerbeek, Taylor Kissinger and Nicea Elilely ELIELY celebrate a win over Duke.

Game Recap & link to Box Score:

https://huskers.com/news/2019/12/4/nebraska-vs-duke.aspx

Attendance:  4,013  :Bow: (Quote fm Duke Fan Board: "Lotta people in the stands")

Quote on the Radio fm Jeff Greisch:  "You Don't want to get in a Shooting Match with Duke," just as Taylor Kissinger was making  an answering three; "Maybe you Do want to get in a Shooting Match!" :Lol:

Lincoln - Nebraska buried a season-high 12 three-pointers, including a career-high-tying six from Taylor Kissinger, as the Huskers shot their way to an 83-79 win over Duke in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Wednesday night.

With the victory, Nebraska improved to 8-1 on the season while the Blue Devils slipped to 6-3 overall. The Huskers handed Duke just its third loss in 13 games in the history of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, with two of those losses coming to Nebraska at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

While Kissinger matched her career best with six threes by going 6-for-9 from long range to finish with a team-high 19 points, the junior from Minden, Neb., was far from the only Husker firing. The Big Red got 14 points on a perfect 5-for-5 shooting night from the field from sophomore Ashtyn Veerbeek. The 6-2 forward from Sioux Center, Iowa, matched her career high by burying all three of her three-pointers and finished another traditional three-point play for the Huskers.

Edited by Red Don

11 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

The coach is not well liked in Durham.

greedy aren't they......

McCallie in 12 seasons has led her teams to seven Sweet 16's, and 4 Elite 8's.

Pretty good record, but not good enough apparently,  in Duke town

Edited by redsteve

Huskers Shoot Past Duke

Game Recap & link to Box Score:

https://huskers.com/news/2019/12/4/nebraska-vs-duke.aspx

Attendance:  4,013  bow.gif (Quote fm Duke Fan Board: "Lotta people in the stands")

Quote fm Jeff Greisch:  "You Don't want to get in a Shooting Match with Duke," just as Taylor Kissinger was making  an answering three; "Maybe you Do want to get in a Shooting Match!" lol.gif

Duke must not get many ppl to thier games.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It's all been said already in this thread probably.....

Just see the Duke game as a big big win. Has to be a big boost in the teams confidence. Great team win that the coaches and players deserve. It's been a tough road the last year or so, and they've worked hard to get better.

This is a different team this year...it's coming together. The teams growth, maturity, and finally an experienced squad, has helped develop us into a  very competitive team. They've developed an attitude...a attitude that they can win, and are prepared to get it done. 

You can just see a different team personality, compared to last year...well really there's not a lot similar for the most part.

The seniors are playing like leaders...and we can depend on their "bringing it".... Nicea and Hannah...great stuff. Cain may have broken out....now gets the college game and her role. Kissenger may have healed and is again the killer 3 girl.

The sophomores have really become a core element of our team...their want to compete. ...and they can score.

Issy is an exceptional freshman. She has a maturity for the game that many don't reach until their Junior year...and she's just getting started'. Mentally and physically strong.

OK, I'm a homer...but just really like what this team has become.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

It's all been said already in this thread probably.....

Just see the Duke game as a big big win. Has to be a big boost in the teams confidence. Great team win that the coaches and players deserve. It's been a tough road the last year or so, and they've worked hard to get better.

This is a different team this year...it's coming together. The teams growth, maturity, and finally an experienced squad, has helped develop us into a  very competitive team. They've developed an attitude...a attitude that they can win, and are prepared to get it done. 

You can just see a different team personality, compared to last year...well really there's not a lot similar for the most part.

The seniors are playing like leaders...and we can depend on their "bringing it" Nicea and Hannah...great stuff. Cain may have broken out....now gets the college game and her role. Kissenger may have healed and is again the killer 3 girl.

The sophomores have really become a core element of our team...their want to compete. ...and they can score.

Issy is an exceptional freshman. She has a maturity for the game that many don't reach until their Junior year...and she's just getting started'. Mentally and physically strong.

OK, I'm a homer...but just really like what this team has become.

I Like This Team!  :nod:

Edited by Red Don

Anyone else feel like with winning the next 2 OOC games and at least doing as good as we did in BTN last year that we will at least be a bubble team this year?

Also while I was sitting at the game during time outs I was looking at their roster. A majority or their players and bench players were top 100 recruits. How many top 100 recruits do we have? Like 5? Just by looking at that I thought they should be way better than us.

Dewkwfan:    NICE  confused.gif   Someone else Did comment that there were a 'Lotta people in the stands.'

That P.O.S. coach lost us that game. Wasted 3 time outs (2:16, 1:27 & :37) all 3 were terrible attempts at clock management.

Let’s talk about lessons learned: down 2 with :11.5 seconds on the clock. First, HAVE YOU EVER PRACTICED THIS SCENARIO? You have a true PG in Kyra on the floor, yet go to Odom to push it.. who turns it over on a travel in the paint with 5 seconds remaining. Makes no sense to have Kyra on the floor if you’re not gonna use her effectively (they stayed away from her on the perimeter and clogged the lane with the extra body). If you wanted Odom to have the ball, add a 3 point threat to spread the floor and bam, the lane would be open and the game would be tied.

MAKES NO F*ING SENSE! No more excuses. She is a trash coach.

It was actually a very good offensive game for too many turnovers or HG2 & Odom (another reason not to have the ball in her hands down 2 with seconds remaining). But very impressed with OAJ - she didn’t play enough minutes.

grossbus:
Our 5th most talented player more talented than their most talented player.

Wow, there sure are some nasty people out there. It's fine to disagree with a coach's decision, but to call her "trash", etc? The internet has given rise to a bunch of hate filled bullies hiding behind their keyboards.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wow, there sure are some nasty people out there. It's fine to disagree with a coach's decision, but to call her "trash", etc? The internet has given rise to a bunch of hate filled bullies hiding behind their keyboards.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It makes you appreciate the message borad that we have. We may not agree with the coach, bit to call her name's I don't think Matt would let that fly on here. Besides we are Nebraska nice.

I've read their message board a few times over the past several years.  Seems like they get some very good recruits (ranked highly) but there has been a gripe that they never get any better under her.  And some have then transferred out of the program.   And hasn't it been within the past few years the coach was under investigation for something (or am I thinking of a different program) but then she was reinstated?  I seem to remember the last time they played in Lincoln the coach went psycho on one of her players as they walked to the locker room.

I've read their message board a few times over the past several years.  Seems like they get some very good recruits (ranked highly) but there has been a gripe that they never get any better under her.  And some have then transferred out of the program.   And hasn't it been within the past few years the coach was under investigation for something (or am I thinking of a different program) but then she was reinstated?  I seem to remember the last time they played in Lincoln the coach went psycho on one of her players as they walked to the locker room.
She is bat shit crazy like Fresse from Maryland.

This team looks like it's coming together. Watching the game i had so much to say but the best thing of all was seeing the comradery this team is developing. It's really great. What a fun win.

As soon as I saw who we were playing I was psyched. Never liked JPM after the ugly way she left MSU. There were some very candid stories about it, and it wasn't flattering, to say the least.

5 hours ago, huskerchode said:

yes, believe it was 2016:

"On April 12, an SB nation website, Swish Appeal, broke the news that Duke was investigating its women’s basketball program and McCallie for the mistreatment of players and assistant coaches. The University acknowledged an “evaluation” of the program by a human resources employee outside of athletics later that day. White said in his statement – which was released at 9:20 p.m. Sunday night – that he had received the results of that work."

Was able to see the game at PBA last night, drove home today and watched the video.   Very proud of the intensity that team demonstrated, or the desire or want to, whatever you want to call it.  I don’t know how good Duke is but they have some skilled, athletic players and the Huskers were able to find a victory.  Will we always shoot that well? Probably not but I did like the effort.

Kate seems to be in better condition and loved the nifty left handed post move in the 4th quarter.  Her turn around late in the game might have been our most important basket.  

Izzy Bourne is a basketball player.  She is smart, tough and sees plays developing.

Leah came through in the 4th quarter and didn’t force the issue though she wasn’t scoring early.

Nice to see Hannah come up with clutch free throws and generally playing a good floor game.

Taylor and Ashton were definitely on from 3.  

Much better performance than against Creighton.  Now, can we build on this and come out and play with the same effort and confidence against ORU and the Jaspers?  

What Duke's coach McCallie had to say after the game.....(she's a smart coach...no matter what the Duke forum says All-Devaney_smile.png )

"Great basketball game. Great atmosphere, McCallie said. Nebraska's an excellent team "

Kind of like us on this forum not knowing all the ins and outs of the game and what's going on with the team

One nice thing about this win is that Duke wasn't a scared, 1st time this year road team.  They tested themselves early going on the road to Texas A&M and also to UNLV and split those games.  Their only loss was to a top 10 A&M team and a 6-1 Northwestern team.  Duke wasn't UCONN, but also was one of the best teams we will see in the Non-Con.

• 2 weeks later...