2021 4 PG Carter Whitt -> Wake Forest->Furman

thrasher31

Just now, hhcmatt said:

Father went to Wake Forest and it was a no-go with Danny Manning there. Enter Steve Forbes. Between that change and having an available schollie that's all she wrote.

Boy our HS recruiting has not been ideal...  Not sure whats going on but I feel our coaching staff felt we had this guy and Sanoga locked up and came up empty on both..

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm not talking about 247's crystal ball because I don't consider 247 to be real recruiting analysts.  They do a nice job compiling data from actual analysts into one space, but they are still a conglomerator of analysis more so than analysts themselves. 

What tells me that this is a lock is that a bunch of the national recruiting analysts at Rivals all submitted picks for Nebraska, and those guys are very rarely wrong.  For them to all be wrong at the same time?  I guess that's possible (this is Nebrasketball, after all) but the odds are VERY strongly in our favor.  I'm not sweating this one.

Are you sweating now?

2 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Boy our HS recruiting has not been ideal...  Not sure whats going on but I feel our coaching staff felt we had this guy and Sanoga locked up and came up empty on both..

Feels like taking Elijah Wood basically made it impossible to land Whitt when he all of a sudden decided to commit mid-semester.  Pros and cons to filling all your scholarships.

11 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Are you sweating now?

Definitely disappointed.  Not sure how literally every analyst in the country could get this one wrong.  It's their job to find insider info, and typically they are accurate.  Guys that project correctly 95%+ of the time were on record saying he was coming here.  This one stings.

This one stings more than a bit...one, because of talent; two, because of his high national rating; three, he seemed to be an exceptional teammate and appears to be a young man of character; four, we recruited him hard, thought we had a great shot at him, but alas, we fell short.  

2 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Not sure if there was another plan in place, but 4-5 star recruits are not coming to Nebraska without a scholarship in place from day one.

If he had signed here the first thing I would have wondered was who was getting cut which while it might make your team better it also could tear it apart.

Agree with Colhusker. The Hoiberg admin. seems to be commensurate with the historical performance from NU. It is beginning to seem insurmountable. So many (myself included) thought the combination of Hoiberg and Abdelmassih would reverse the hopelessness of the previous century-plus. Even "insiders" thought we would land Sanogo and Whitt. The initial buzz from the hiring of Hoiberg is now rapidly diminishing. Last year's historically bad team now gives way to this team which is pre-season last-place by the sports writers. There are very few impact players considering NU in this recruiting cycle (unless I am missing something), and we just whiffed on the highest ranked player in the state's history (Sallis, who many thought Miles would land)! They shit the bed with Hepburn, Murrell and Williams (though the case w/ Williams may have extenuating factors). My guess is Traudt and Breidenbach will choose a good school to play for and the futility will persist. 

This doesn't mean I don't love Hoiberg and staff but I don't have any reason to think the pundits will be wrong this year either. What kind of recruits will NU be attracting after another laughable season?

Perhaps Covid and the impending ecological catastrophe we are seeing will scuttle the season and we won't have to endure any further humiliations. 

And before anyone lashes out without considering my position, tell me where there might be reason for optimism- and I don't think because ISU was pretty good in his second season is a reason. Are there reasonable reasons to hold out any optimism? 

Happy Autumn!

Edited by Husker Hoops Penitent

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2021 4 PG Carter Whitt -> Wake Forest

I guess this is what one could call a "Loser Mentality."  We never have won a NCAA Tournament Game, ergo, we never will!  Once we start winning, (maybe even a Tournament Game) recruiting will be easier, especially for talented HS recruits with great promise.   Realistically, I doubt we would have much of a chance with Sallis once his recruiting blew-up and all the 'blue-bloods' came calling, regardless of his relationship with Tim Miles.  Even if we did have a chance, what kind of supporting cast would he have to help propel him to the next level?

Whitt is going to be a good player and we don't require everyone to be a shooter but it's somewhat surprising to me when we target PGs who aren't known for shooting.  I have the same sort of thoughts about the PF out of Texas we're recruiting.

Feels like the play here is to see/hope that Elijah Wood is a serviceable PG and concentrate on 2022 for that position.  If Wood doesn't work out, which often happens with the last guy recruited, then we can fill that with someone for 2021.  (We have an offer out for a JUCO guy)

At this point should probably concentrate on one of the post players we've offered for 2021

3 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Agree with Colhusker. The Hoiberg admin. seems to be commensurate with the historical performance from NU. It is beginning to seem insurmountable. So many (myself included) thought the combination of Hoiberg and Abdelmassih would reverse the hopelessness of the previous century-plus. Even "insiders" thought we would land Sanogo and Whitt. The initial buzz from the hiring of Hoiberg is now rapidly diminishing. Last year's historically bad team now gives way to this team which is pre-season last-place by the sports writers. There are very few impact players considering NU in this recruiting cycle (unless I am missing something), and we just whiffed on the highest ranked player in the state's history (Sallis, who many thought Miles would land)! They shit the bed with Hepburn, Murrell and Williams (though the case w/ Williams may have extenuating factors). My guess is Traudt and Breidenbach will choose a good school to play for and the futility will persist. 

This doesn't mean I don't love Hoiberg and staff but I don't have any reason to think the pundits will be wrong this year either. What kind of recruits will NU be attracting after another laughable season?

Perhaps Covid and the impending ecological catastrophe we are seeing will scuttle the season and we won't have to endure any further humiliations. 

And before anyone lashes out without considering my position, tell me where there might be reason for optimism- and I don't think because ISU was pretty good in his second season is a reason. Are there reasonable reasons to hold out any optimism? 

Happy Autumn!

Get a grip man. They have only been here a little over a year and wanted to start from scratch. Miracles don’t happen overnight. If we are still striking out in a couple years we can talk.

18 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Happy Autumn!

Huggins was 30-35 (15-21) his first 2 seasons at WV

Peral was 26-40 (9-27) his first 2 seasons at Auburn 

Bennett was 31-31 (12-20) his first 2 seasons at Virginia 

Drew was 17-40 (4-28) his first 2 seasons at Baylor

Donovan was 27-32 (11-21) his first 2 seasons at Florida

Hell, Coach K was 38-47 (13-29) his first 3 seasons at Duke 

These things take time.