2021 SG Keisei Tominaga - Juco - LOI

uneblinstu

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

we got some shooters on the way at the very least. teddy and keisei are both shooting 50-40-90 at the juco level. nobody on our current team is anywhere near that.

Sans FT shooting, I believe Jervay was close to those numbers in JUCO.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A couple of interesting notes about Kesei's first game.

His team was getting boat raced in the first half and got down 71-51. At half. At HALF.

They went on a tear to open the 2nd half and went on a 31-7 run in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half to take a 4 point lead. At one point, they'd outscored their opponent 60-30 in the 2nd half. They ended up winning by around 6.

Late in the 2nd half, though, Kesei goes up against one of their bigs for a long rebound. As Kesei jumps for the ball, he rotates away from the other player so that his back is to the other guy's front, if that makes sense.

The other dude has ahold of the ball. And ahold of Kesei. And as he's trying to wrestle the ball away from Kesei, he literally lifts Kesei off the ground and body slams him to the floor.

Literally lifted him off the floor and body slammed him.

The refs called a jump ball.  No foul.  SMDH.

Also ...

Kesei's defense looks pretty soft.

His shot was not on for most of the game but he made some clutch plays that won't show up in the stat sheet.

He seems to be a popular teammate.

Edited by Norm Peterson

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

A couple of interesting notes about Kesei's first game.

His team was getting boat raced in the first half and got down 71-51. At half. At HALF.

They went on a tear to open the 2nd half and went on a 31-7 run in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half to take a 4 point lead. At one point, they'd outscored their opponent 60-30 in the 2nd half. They ended up winning by around 6.

Late in the 2nd half, though, Kesei goes up against one of their bigs for a long rebound. As Kesei jumps for the ball, he rotates away from the other player so that his back is to the other guy's front, if that makes sense.

The other dude has ahold of the ball. And ahold of Kesei. And as he's trying to wrestle the ball away from Kesei, he literally lifts Kesei off the ground and body slams him to the floor.

Literally lifted him off the floor and body slammed him.

The refs called a jump ball.  No foul.  SMDH.

How did he look?

2 hours ago, Jugular said:

How did he look?

His defense looked soft. His shot was a bit off this game. But he made some heads-up, hustle plays that won't show up in the stat sheet (saving a ball to a teammate, for example.) You can see he's got a good shot. The other team played him REALLY tight the whole game and, as a result, a couple of his teammates went off. He never seemed to really try to force things. Got fouled on a missed layup in the first half that wasn't called. Got fouled on a circus layup in the second half that dropped and got the and-1. He had a couple of nifty pull-up mid-range jumpers and he was probably 1-4 on treys. I'm sure he was in double-figure scoring. But his game didn't scream "P5 Dude" at you like the guy from Navarro who I was like, "DAYUM he's good," and, sure enough, Rivals has him as a 4-star going to TCU.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

His defense looked soft. His shot was a bit off this game. But he made some heads-up, hustle plays that won't show up in the stat sheet (saving a ball to a teammate, for example.) You can see he's got a good shot. The other team played him REALLY tight the whole game and, as a result, a couple of his teammates went off. He never seemed to really try to force things. Got fouled on a missed layup in the first half that wasn't called. Got fouled on a circus layup in the second half that dropped and got the and-1. He had a couple of nifty pull-up mid-range jumpers and he was probably 1-4 on treys. I'm sure he was in double-figure scoring. But his game didn't scream "P5 Dude" at you like the guy from Navarro who I was like, "DAYUM he's good," and, sure enough, Rivals has him as a 4-star going to TCU.

Good news is if he is a "mistake" that hoiberg has a lot of transfers.

I'm guessing the kid can shoot though.

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Perhaps I am way out in left field...but I see this kid as a role player.  A dude that comes off the bench and can ignite the offense.  We haven't had a player in that role for quite awhile.

I think he's going to be a rich man's Gallegos.  

He's going to have one job here, and that is to run around and shoot threes.  He's a good enough athlete to get up to speed defensively after Doc barks at him for a couple weeks.  I think he'll have games where he scores 20 and games without points.  I think it will be that dynamic.  But if you think about Gallegos--he can have that same effect--someone who has to be chased around the perimeter and opens the lane in the process.  He's also very good in transition O.  Zones will be a huge risk against him because he doesn't need much room/time to get his shots up.  

I think he's going to fit in extremely well here, but he won't be looked to for creating his own shot or having the ball in his hands when the shot clock is winding down.  This is actually a sign that his game should transfer well because it isn't dependent in breaking guys down off the dribble.  Lakes is the same way.