2021 SG Keisei Tominaga - Juco - LOI

uneblinstu

6 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

Hes not academically eligible under NCAA standards without graduating from his juco so that’s why we will have to wait to 2021. 

While having a sharp shooter on the squad would help next season I believe another year of seasoning under BG and acclimating to basketball in the states will be extremely beneficial to him and to us. Those two years will also help transition this program to finding better talent to replace these guys quicker. 

You know, if he takes 18 credit hours this semester, and 24 credit hours next semester, and then another 18 credit hours over the summer, he could do it.

Edited to add: I'm only sorta kidding.

Edited by Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

We got a couple JUCO football guys transferring after their first year. Think they are eligible because they were qualifiers out of high school but chose juco. Have no idea if he was eligible as a frosh but if he was I think he could leave anytime.

I was stating a fact not an assumption.  He is not eligible to transfer per NCAA guidelines and will have to graduate from juco hence why he will be there another year.

Edited by TheKamdyMan

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, so he's listed at 188 cm, which translates to 6'2. So, it's not like he's a tall shooting guard, but not terribly short either.

He's a hell of a shooter, though. Give him that.

What he lacks in height, he at least makes up for in elevation on his jumper I guess.

Be interesting to see how he fares against long arm dudes that are 6'7" or taller though.

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

What he lacks in height, he at least makes up for in elevation on his jumper I guess.

Be interesting to see how he fares against long arm dudes that are 6'7" or taller though.

How many dudes  6’7 or taller with long arms do we face in any year that are playing guard? Or wing for that matter. 

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

How many dudes  6’7 or taller with long arms do we face in any year that are playing guard? Or wing for that matter. 

This. He's quick enough, has a high enough release, changes direction well enough, and creates enough space that a 6'7 guy is going to have to be in his gym shorts to stop that shot, even if he has long arms. Plus, he doesn't need a lot of space to get that shot off.

At first, I was like juco? Class of 2021? Japanese guy? WTF?

But then watched some videos of him and this kid is very intriguing. I would like to see him either graduate in a year plus a summer from juco or redshirt next season at his juco so that he can come here with 3 years of eligibility.

Thor needs to go to school on this kid's mechanics. Sometimes left handers have odd form, but this kid is just pure. If you're a lefty, and you're a visual learner, you don't have a lot of good examples of people to watch. So, watch this kid.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Guarding a lefty initially always took a little bit of an adjustment for me.   Not on the floor on the dribble but more with defending the turnaround jumpshots and trying to block their shots.   It always felt a little unnatural guarding them at first.    Anyone else feel that way?

Edited by REDitus

34 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

LJS story this morning says his dad is 6'10'" so he may grow some more too.

I could be wrong, but my guess is somewhere along the line, someone added an extra zero and everyone else just kept repeating it.

If his dad really is 6'10 and he grows that tall, he could be our Japanese Frank Kaminsky. I just hope he's a legit 6'2.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I could be wrong, but my guess is somewhere along the line, someone added an extra zero and everyone else just kept repeating it.

If his dad really is 6'10 and he grows that tall, he could be our Japanese Frank Kaminsky. I just hope he's a legit 6'2.

His father (Hiroyuki Tominaga) is listed as a former 6'11 center under asiabasket.com

I have no idea if that is a reliable website or not. Same info is on wiki.

Thats all i could find.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not convinced he is 6'2".  But I am also not convinced he is completely done growing.  I am convinced that he has skills to play Division I basketball.  The dude is a shooter...and I have been begging for that type of shooter for a long time.

Saw a picture of Keisei Tominaga with Steph Curry. Tominaga looked to be 2-3 inches shorter than Curry. Curry is listed at 6'3. I dont know how old Tominaga was in the picture, could be an older one.

He's listed at 6' on Ranger's website and that tracks with the height in the story from when he committed to Ranger (I believe it was 185 centimeters which is just over 6').

For some reason, Ranger only has box scores for 7 of their 11 games, and they also included a game with a box score full of zeroes in the player averages. In those 7 games with stats, Tominaga is averaging 17.2 points, I believe.

I've looked at 21 stat lines from FIBA U16, U18 and JUCO play. He's 65-158 (41.1%) from 3 and has five assists (with 11 turnovers). Straight gunner.

I love pleasant surprises! His release is quick, smooth, and very pure. He appears to have incredible range, and let’s not forget, Hoiberg’s offense and uptempo fast breaks could result in him getting wide open. Heck, earlier this season against SDSU Thor had probably three or four wide open three point attempts- I’m not sure he made one but they were wide open as a result of crisp passes. 
So Kevin Cross is our Draymond, Banton our Durant, and this guy our Curry.  Poor man’s version but at least a version. 

50 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I love pleasant surprises! His release is quick, smooth, and very pure. He appears to have incredible range, and let’s not forget, Hoiberg’s offense and uptempo fast breaks could result in him getting wide open. Heck, earlier this season against SDSU Thor had probably three or four wide open three point attempts- I’m not sure he made one but they were wide open as a result of crisp passes. 
So Kevin Cross is our Draymond, Banton our Durant, and this guy our Curry.  Poor man’s version but at least a version. 

Thor is actually our 2nd best 3 point % shooter to date behind Samari Curtis.  Thor was at 50% prior to the USF game.  Thor and Curtis are the only two currently above 40%.

Kid’s game looks like it’s entirely modeled after James Hardin.  Really crafty lefty with the pick and roll and outstanding in shooting off the dribble.  I think he’ll be more of a scoring PG than an off guard, and that’s great because we’ll need a PG in the system for 2021 to take over in 2022.  He has enough athleticism to be serviceable on D and outscore most of the guys that guard him.