2021 SG Keisei Tominaga - Juco - LOI

uneblinstu

Watching his highlights, he understands floor spacing so well. He moves well without the ball, but it isn't a situation where he's moving just to move. It has a purpose, as he's looking to put himself on a spot on the floor to be ready to freely catch and shoot.

Also love the shooting stroke, as he never seems to be in a rush, yet he's able to get the shot off pretty easily, regardless of how close the defender is to him. Granted, it's not Big Ten level defenders, but with his ability to understand passing angles and spacing, I'd imagine he'll be in a good spot to shoot it off the catch more often than not. Not to mention he won't be bothered backing a few feet off the 3-pt line if needed.

Appreciate that some of his highlights show misses, as you can see his soft touch on those misses. The rebounds on his misses aren't careening wildly 15 feet from the basket. They look more like rebounds you'd have off a missed free throw.

Can he play defense at the Big Ten level? Unclear. But he doesn't seem to have much fear in his offensive game, so I'd imagine he'll stick his nose in there and mix it up and play hard on the defensive end. Plus he won't be able to understand a word of Doc's drawl, so he'll have no idea if he's in trouble or not, which should aid in the confidence. (Burning question: How bad will Doc butcher his name?) 😄

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Wow!  That’s a great article out of Tokyo.  Gotta love Hoiberg’s quote in the last paragraph about Kiesei:

“Because of his shooting ability, what NBA teams are looking for right now, you need floor spacers, you’ve got great playmakers. When you look at LeBron James leading the NBA in assists, at 6-8 (203 cm), 260 pounds (118 kg), he can get by guys and you need people to be able to shoot and space the floor so that’s where guys like Keisei that can make shots at a high level come into play. So he’ll definitely have chances. There’s no doubt in my mind.”

This tells you exactly what Fred wants to do with Dalano.  He's only 55lbs lighter than Lebron :) but I think their games are quite similar.  

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2021 SG Keisei Tominaga - Juco - LOI
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

We got any stats on Keisei this year or what's going on with him...??

They’ve only played 4 games so far and his team is 2-2. He started 3 and came off the bench for the other. They are definitely not as good as a whole with the team this season compared to last year. 

13-29 shooting

6-17 from 3

9.75 pts

2 reb

1.25 ast

for his averages in the 4 games. 

On 2/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, TheKamdyMan said:

They’ve only played 4 games so far and his team is 2-2. He started 3 and came off the bench for the other. They are definitely not as good as a whole with the team this season compared to last year. 

13-29 shooting

6-17 from 3

9.75 pts

2 reb

1.25 ast

Yikes...very underwhelming. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 4:04 PM, TheKamdyMan said:

13-29 shooting

6-17 from 3

9.75 pts

2 reb

1.25 ast

Not getting any better thru 8 games:  8.8 pts/game, 38% 3-pt (team is shooting 41%) and more TOs than assists.

Makes me wonder if this will be a repeat of Dillion Sneed back in 2003(?).  Signed with Nebraska in the fall, was terrible at JUCO (like 6 pts/game) in the winter+spring and subsequently released from his letter of intent to pursue a situation that matched his skill level.  Ended up at East Tennessee State.

I would think this is much too early to speculate about what may be going on without further information about why his stats are not up to those of last year when playing for the same team. Does he have a nagging injury, did he have COVID, is the coaching staff different, etc.? I doubt that he has lost his ability to shoot since last year or that the defenses have improved in opposing teams this year. I am not ready to give up on him unless trend continues through the whole year. I'm sure Hoiberg is keeping in touch with him and will know what the situation is.  

There must be more to the explanation.  Here are his lines in a couple of the 8 games they've played:

1. 5 of 7 field goals, 3 of 4 threes, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 13 points.  

2. 5 of 9 field goals, 3 of 5 threes, 1 rebound, 2 steals, 1 turnover, 13 points.

Edited by Swan88

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I would think this is much too early to speculate about what may be going on without further information about why his stats are not up to those of last year when playing for the same team. Does he have a nagging injury, did he have COVID, is the coaching staff different, etc.? I doubt that he has lost his ability to shoot since last year or that the defenses have improved in opposing teams this year. I am not ready to give up on him unless trend continues through the whole year. I'm sure Hoiberg is keeping in touch with him and will know what the situation is.  

New head coach at least. Billie Gillespie found a new job after last season 

Something seems odd. He seemed to have a real good first game but then did not start the next? Then started most of the next few but then back to coming off the bench. Kind of worrisome but who knows maybe he is dinged up or the coach is a Def first guy or just likes trying different line ups.

Not as worried about his shooting though. He is at 50% for 6 games but then had 2 clunkers where he was 0-9. Everyone has off nights hopefully he does not have to many. Coach seems to play 10-11 guys to and Keisei does not shoot a ton of shots.

I’m hoping he fills a role for us but not counting on him being a big piece of the puzzle.

Edited by Art Vandalay

On 3/4/2021 at 3:46 AM, LK1 said:

11 3s is insane—even in JUCO.  

His stat line for that game was 13-18 for FG's, 11-16 for treys, 2-2 for FT, 2 rebounds, 2assists, no turnovers

39 pts total.

I know they don't play D in Juco but 11 for 16 from threeland is still quality shooting.   The point about defense is a good question.  I think the Cary Cochran comparison is fair.