2021 SG Keisei Tominaga - Juco - LOI

uneblinstu

On 11/29/2019 at 11:08 AM, khoock said:

His father (Hiroyuki Tominaga) is listed as a former 6'11 center under asiabasket.com

I have no idea if that is a reliable website or not. Same info is on wiki.

Thats all i could find.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/06/25/basketball/confidence-ambition-power-keisei-tominaga-toward-promising-u-s-future/

This nice little article confirms his father was a center on the national team.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Highlights from his 3x3 play

He shows a lot of offensive knack in this video. I think a 3-on-3 format is really ideal for him because it allows him to exploit and leverage all the things he does really well. The spacing on the floor is a lot more open. If you get by your man on the dribble, there's almost no chance of getting rejected at the rim.

The video of that juco scrimmage didn't really showcase his ballhandling ability, which was pretty impressively demonstrated in the 3-on-3 highlights.

The kid can shoot, though. If Webster gets an additional year and comes back, they would seem to be pretty similar players in terms of what they bring to the table.

Very interesting roster being developed. Very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

This kid's shooting ability is transformational. We'll have one of those guys who, like so many other teams have, when he gets in the game, has the ability to get you that 3-bucket when you gotta have one. Have no idea what his minutes will look like, but he'll maybe come in off the bench and if he's hot, they'll feed him till he drops. He's a kid who could literally score 12 points in just 5 minutes of playing time. So, the other team wants to play zone, huh? We'd like them to switch to man.

Edited by Norm Peterson

I'm going to say I don't know that he'll be a spark off the bench. He might come in off the bench; he might also start. I don't know. Depends on his defense.

But let me suggest this comparison about Keisei: As a shooter, he's like a Rayes Gallegos. Except, he's a Rayes Gallegos who can shoot treys off either a left- OR right-hand dribble AND (added bonus) he can hit between 4 and 5 out of ten of them compared to Rayes' 3 out of 10.

35 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm going to say I don't know that he'll be a spark off the bench. He might come in off the bench; he might also start. I don't know. Depends on his defense.

But let me suggest this comparison about Keisei: As a shooter, he's like a Rayes Gallegos. Except, he's a Rayes Gallegos who can shoot treys off either a left- OR right-hand dribble AND (added bonus) he can hit between 4 and 5 out of ten of them compared to Rayes' 3 out of 10.

Cary Cochran?

10 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Cary Cochran?

Nah, the comparison I was making was not on accuracy. It was the ability to stress the defense by being able to elevate and shoot off a dribble. And Ray could do that going one way but Big Ten scouting being what it is, they figured out he could ONLY go one way. And they didn't give it to him.

Keisei, on the other hand, can shoot off the dribble going either to his left or to his right. Which is a pretty good attribute to possess. If Keisei is in the game, you better go over the top of all ball screens when he has the ball because he won't need much room to get off a shot.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I said the same thing--at least he can be used similarly.  He's a much better offensive player in general than RG, but RG was a very good perimeter defender.  Again, I think I think KT can be coached up on that end.  His shot is just deadly.  

Edited by LK1

52 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I can live with the walk. The fact he can catch a lob and dunk two-handed suggests he has reasonable hops, which, as I understand it, correlates with quickness.

Gotta disagree with you here. I’m not sure what the sports science says. But anecdotally, I often see kids with vertical explosiveness who lack lateral quickness. Straight line speed seems to be more correlated with vertical. Trying to think of a Husker player example- Walter Pitchford reportedly had a 40 inch max vert and had some sweet offseason Twitter dunk videos. But it’d be hard to find a guy with less quickness than him. 

Keisei may look quick relative to his competition in japan. But Nick Fuller looked kinda quick in high school in Wisconsin. I thought Keisei lacked lateral quickness after watching his juco film. The reason I compared him to Cochran is because I see him as a spot up shooter who’ll help stretch the defense and space the floor for us. And that’s fine with me. I think he’ll be a valuable player for us. 

I read, long ago, that a significant factor in vertical jumping ability is the relative lengths of the athlete's shin and thigh bones.  Tried to find that information just now, and here is the best I could do:

"Athletes with long feet (relative to height) and/or long tibia length (relative to height) may be at a mechanical disadvantage for vertical jump ability." 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Wow!  That’s a great article out of Tokyo.  Gotta love Hoiberg’s quote in the last paragraph about Kiesei:

“Because of his shooting ability, what NBA teams are looking for right now, you need floor spacers, you’ve got great playmakers. When you look at LeBron James leading the NBA in assists, at 6-8 (203 cm), 260 pounds (118 kg), he can get by guys and you need people to be able to shoot and space the floor so that’s where guys like Keisei that can make shots at a high level come into play. So he’ll definitely have chances. There’s no doubt in my mind.”