uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; 5 vs. Washington State

uneblinstu

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

What'd he say?

All I saw was how they were defending ball screens and what they had Cam Mack do. 

They switched from jumping or what he called blitzing ball screens. They were getting hurt by slips so they went to playing ball screens flat with Cam sort of in permanent help. 

30 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

What'd he say?

All I saw was how they were defending ball screens and what they had Cam Mack do. 

I think one of the things he talked about was defending ballscreens and having Cross stay square to his man or whatever. Technical stuff.

Surely there's a radio thing of the post game? I hope?

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Huh. Fake high 5s fit right in with some of the Ts Palmer & Cope received the past few years. Nice to see our rep continuing, even outside the continental 48.

Watched a game in the first few days of the season, can't remember who was playing, where the FT shooter did that, forgetting his teammates weren't there, so the opposing team high 5'd him. 

If only Wazzu players had high 5'd him back, there wouldn't have been a T. Jerks.

21 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think one of the things he talked about was defending ballscreens and having Cross stay square to his man or whatever. Technical stuff.

Surely there's a radio thing of the post game? I hope?

In the first half the guy defending the big was blitzing the screens (kinda trapping them), forcing defensive rotations on our backside, and a guard having to check the rolling big. We weren't doing... terrible... per-say, but it certainly wasn't creating any advantages for us and it was overworking us. In the second half the defender of the big just shadowed the ball while still staying relatively attached to his guy, until the guard could recover. Just took away any confusion and need to rotate on our part. 

With Mack, they had him on a guy who couldn't shoot, so they stuck him in the middle of the lane while away from the ball, and let him check rollers and help drivers while everyone was recovering. Wash St did a poor job of adjusting to this. That guy should have been ball screening or cutting while Mack wasn't looking. 

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

One thing that seems apparent to me:

In spite of how deep we all thought we were at the guard position, we still had three of our starting guards in foul trouble last night. So, when you play a 4-guard offense, we're maybe not as deep as we need to be.

If Shamiel Stevenson can help out on the boards, it'd be nice to have him cleared IMMEDIATELY. (He was screwed by 2 coaching changes and now he's being screwed by the NCAA slow-playing his waiver determination. And in a just NCAA, the 8 minutes he played in 4 games at Pitt following a coaching change should not count as a used season of eligibility.)

When we're running 4 guards and either Kevin or Yvan, it tests our depth at guard, particularly when we get in foul trouble. Having Shamiel in there alongside Cross/Ouedraogo would probably improve our rebounding significantly, shift Cheatham to one of 3 guard spots, and probably keep us out of foul trouble.

If Stevenson is as good as we think/hope, would you rather have him:

A. Play the remainder of this season, be a major contributor, & bump our win total from fair to middling. OR

B. Redshirt & have two full years to play when Banton & Walker are both onboard & the entire roster has “earned their spurs” so to speak...

I’ll opt for B, tho I’m sure he’s ready to play right NOW & is tired of sitting around waiting in some kind of an NCAA Twilight Zone. Hopefully we’ll know soon.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

If Stevenson is as good as we think/hope, would you rather have him:

A. Play the remainder of this season, be a major contributor, & bump our win total from fair to middling. OR

B. Redshirt & have two full years to play when Banton & Walker are both onboard & the entire roster has “earned their spurs” so to speak...

I’ll opt for B, tho I’m sure he’s ready to play right NOW & is tired of sitting around waiting in some kind of an NCAA Twilight Zone. Hopefully we’ll know soon.

Whelp, 'B' it is.

Can’t say I’m surprised, but that’s sure a shi**y deal for the kid. He had no idea Musselman would be moving on once he got there, & now he’s the one that’s  essentially penalized. Hope he keeps his head up, works hard on his game & is ready to lace em up next season...!

Edited by Handy Johnson

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Dachon Burke needs to be on a shorter leash and have his role tweaked/explained to him better. He's jacking up a lot that I'd rather have Mack, Cross, Green get looks at. Needs to be a slasher, defender, runner. 

And I see Burke has like 14 of our first 14 tonight....

🤷🏻‍♂️ - former coach for a reason i guess