uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; 5 vs. Washington State

uneblinstu

Okay, I'll put some thoughts out there.

- Haanif did a fantastic job of shutting down Elleby in the second half, that impressed me

- Speaking of Elleby, that dude's going to the League...

- Great to see the halftime adjustments.  My respect for Fred grows with each game

- I continue to like Jervay, his positive attitude all the time along with his skill, he seems like a great teammate

- Kevin is lowkey one of the best players on the team, he'll be all conference type guy by the time he's done at Nebraska

Just a few for now...

-- D was much better in the second half... mostly because Cheatham shut down Elleby for the most part.  (BTW I would like to have that kid on my team).

-- Cross is turning out to be a lot better than advertised.  With each game he grows.  He can shoot the rock and dribble-drive.

-- When we actually put in effort on the D end... we get a lot better looks in transition on the O end.

-- Would love to see Curtis take some minutes from Kavas.  I realize that Kavas has size, but that's really all he gives us.  

-- Burke scores, but takes some very bad shots.  He's certainly our volume guy this year.

-- FT's would have put this thing away early.... and late.

-- Rebounding was much better in the second half and look what happened.

-- WSU was as bad as advertised.

-- A legit shot to head to GA Tech at 5-2 after an 0-2 start is nice to see.

-- While the competition isn't great, a tournament win could be just what the doctor ordered for this team.

Interesting tidbit on recent NU play with some historical context -- maybe this year will be also be a great week of victories in the Cayman Islands.....  scoring certainly helps in a tournament environment.

*Nebraska previously scored 90+ in two straight games, which hadn't happened since the 1999-2000 season. Also around the same time-frame that NU last won a holiday tourney !!

We are finally starting to see this team take shape and rolls be given out. We have a very balanced scoring load so far. Mack, Green, Cheatham, Burke, and Cross can get you double digits any given night. Thor is the glue guy and Yvan is the "enforcer" down low (or atleast will be in the future). If Stevenson plays this year you gotta assume he takes Kavas' spot. And that gives you your 8 man rotation for the season.

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

We are finally starting to see ... rolls be given out. 

WSU was a bit of a turkey, but I'm glad we stuffed them.

And if the team wins another game this week, the third will be gravy.

It is Thanksgiving week, after all. 😁

Edited by jayschool

I'm happy they got a win against Washington State away from PBA. I was actually kind of worried about how this team would play away from PBA.

Shooting seems to be coming around..

Cross impresses me more and more every game. I really like his offensive skillset. I wish he brought more on defense, but he's playing out of position at the moment so I'll let it slide.

Green gets more and more confident every game.

Cheathem had his best game to date. At an efficient rate too.

Didn't watch because flosports or whatever it is seems like a headache. Hoping for another W against George Mason tonight

Some thoughts:

Great defensive adjustments on ball screens in second half. Great adjustment to let Cam sit in the paint and float to help.

Kevin Cross is going to be a player.

Dachon Burke needs to be on a shorter leash and have his role tweaked/explained to him better. He's jacking up a lot that I'd rather have Mack, Cross, Green get looks at. Needs to be a slasher, defender, runner. 

1 hour ago, NWUhusker said:

I loved watching the halftime adjustments last night. Some of them are so simple too. At one point Hoiberg simply gave Cross the ball at the top of the key 2 straight possessions and WSU was forced to take their 7 footer out.

Hoiberg discussed adjustments on his post-game radio program. It sounded kinda complicated. Maybe one of the coach types on the board could explain.

One thing that seems apparent to me:

In spite of how deep we all thought we were at the guard position, we still had three of our starting guards in foul trouble last night. So, when you play a 4-guard offense, we're maybe not as deep as we need to be.

If Shamiel Stevenson can help out on the boards, it'd be nice to have him cleared IMMEDIATELY. (He was screwed by 2 coaching changes and now he's being screwed by the NCAA slow-playing his waiver determination. And in a just NCAA, the 8 minutes he played in 4 games at Pitt following a coaching change should not count as a used season of eligibility.)

When we're running 4 guards and either Kevin or Yvan, it tests our depth at guard, particularly when we get in foul trouble. Having Shamiel in there alongside Cross/Ouedraogo would probably improve our rebounding significantly, shift Cheatham to one of 3 guard spots, and probably keep us out of foul trouble.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

In spite of how deep we all thought we were at the guard position, we still had three of our starting guards in foul trouble last night. So, when you play a 4-guard offense, we're maybe not as deep as we need to be.

If Shamiel Stevenson can help out on the boards, it'd be nice to have him cleared IMMEDIATELY. (He was screwed by 2 coaching changes and now he's being screwed by the NCAA slow-playing his waiver determination. And in a just NCAA, the 8 minutes he played in 4 games at Pitt following a coaching change should not count as a used season of eligibility.)

When we're running 4 guards and either Kevin or Yvan, it tests our depth at guard, particularly when we get in foul trouble. Having Shamiel in there alongside Cross/Ouedraogo would probably improve our rebounding significantly, shift Cheatham to one of 3 guard spots, and probably keep us out of foul trouble.

I just don’t get the Stevenson thing.  At all.  It’s damn near December.

37 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Seems telling to me that our guards were in foul trouble a lot of the game and Samari Curtis saw a whole two minutes of action. If hes as talented offensively as some think he must be really behind defensively or mentally. Or maybe hes injured?

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

Seems telling to me that our guards were in foul trouble a lot of the game and Samari Curtis saw a whole two minutes of action. If hes as talented offensively as some think he must be really behind defensively or mentally. Or maybe hes injured?

His hand has been wrapped for a while. Take that for what's it's worth.