Luckiest wins/unluckiest losses

Norm Peterson

Just saw a clip of some HS kid with that miracle half-court shot for the win as time expires. It got me wondering how many times we've been on the good end of one of those or on the bad end.

Good end that I can think of was Charles Richardson draining a trey for a win at Texas Tech. That was damn near miraculous. If the Tech player doesn't try to save that ...

2 hours ago, PointGuard said:

My memory isn't all that good, but I am thinking the following year they made a long three at the buzzer to beat us.

I thought of that, but it was more of a well-designed and well-executed play that didn't involve much luck. They got their best shooter open at the top of the key and he burried it. In Collier's first season, we managed to piss away a win at home against Iowa State where they inbounded to half-court and called timeout and then got a high-percentage bucket at the buzzer for the win. But that, again, was more of a well-designed play that they executed.

The Tech player saving the ball into the hands of an historically bad 3-point shooter who takes a dribble-shoot trey for the win … that's just dumb luck.

10 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I thought it was Texas A&M that did that, but I could be wrong.

Definitely was A&M, because Bill Byrne made a big deal out of it after he left NU. Nebraska had about a 17-point lead in that game, too. Horrible snowstorm that night....

Ohio State stole one at Nebraska when Glynn Watson fell down on an under-basket inbound play for the Bucks. That was fortuitous for them, indeed.

30 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Definitely was A&M, because Bill Byrne made a big deal out of it after he left NU. Nebraska had about a 17-point lead in that game, too. Horrible snowstorm that night....

Ohio State stole one at Nebraska when Glynn Watson fell down on an under-basket inbound play for the Bucks. That was fortuitous for them, indeed.

OK, yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. We had that game won. And then Glynn has that misfortune, etc.

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

On the luck side, I would also count how we came back and scored like 14 points in the final 45 seconds to force overtime and eventually get the W, with Thor blocking a shot at the buzzer to preserve the victory. You'd have to kinda count something like that.

That Iowa win was a thing of beauty, Iowa did everything right... until they missed 1 free throw. That allowed JPJ to only have to score on a layup to tie it up. Incredibly fortuitous win by the Big Red on Senior Day last season.

2 hours ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I thought it was Texas A&M that did that, but I could be wrong.

It was A&M on a last second shot from near half court.  I was standing on the floor in the student section, giving the Aggie bench hell the whole game.  It was a total gut punch of a loss.

EDIT: found an article to confirm: https://12thman.com/news/2009/2/24/205229476.aspx 

EDIT #2: OK, maybe it wasn't near midcourt.  My memory may have inflated the shot a bit in the last 10 years.  Video source: 

Edited by aphilso1
source

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

It was A&M on a last second shot from near half court.  I was standing on the floor in the student section, giving the Aggie bench hell the whole game.  It was a total gut punch of a loss.

EDIT: found an article to confirm: https://12thman.com/news/2009/2/24/205229476.aspx 

EDIT #2: OK, maybe it wasn't near midcourt.  My memory may have inflated the shot a bit in the last 10 years.  Video source: 

My recollection was that it was near mid court too.....lol.

Creswell hit basically a half court three before Jamar Johnson’s all time great buzzer beater against KU.  Not a lot of people remember Creswell’s shot prior but it kind of kept a few people seated.  My dad and I made our way to the b section to watch the end of that one because they had, of course, cleared out.  

Danny Nee post game on live radio: “Keep your asses in your seats.”  

On 11/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, AuroranHusker said:

That was horrific coaching on our part, not an unlucky loss.  Everything you should not do to defend with that amount of time left and score we did.  

Edited by royalfan