Creighton (3-1) vs. Nebraska (5-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Don't feel like think their quicker.  They had a sense of urgency we just have issues finding.  We didn't take it to them until 5 min left in game. Mershon was a beast late.

They just worked harder and wanted to win. Worked harder to get rebounds, and loose balls. Worked harder to get open shots. 

It all goes back to who wanted it more...all 4 qtrs.

Cherry picked a couple of your comments.  I loved the way Mershon attacked near the end.  It showed me, effort might have been the main thing missing today.  Kayla might not have the vertical jump, or speed and quickness of some athletes, but she can compete with anyone when getting after it. We have a roster full of winning players.  Just need them to show up ready to rumble.  We'll get 'em next time.

Edited by 12dozen

I'm sorry but I think the 'lack of athleticism' canard is a Bad Rap.  Nonathletic teams Do Not score 74 points vs good competition!  Teams that do not have the requisite 'desire'  Don't keep fighting back to even up the score when continually behind, Indeed going full tilt to the very end.   No, I think something else may be at work, It just wasn't their day when you have sub-par performance on treys and FTs.

Edited by Red Don

Game Recap & link to Box Score.

Jays Shoot Past Huskers

https://huskers.com/news/2019/11/24/womens-basketball-creighton-hands-huskers-first-loss-of-the-season.aspx

Lincoln - Nebraska outscored Creighton 46-10 in the paint, but Creighton knocked down 14 three-pointers to shoot the Bluejays to a 79-74 win over the Huskers at Pinnacle Banka Arena on Sunday afternoon.

image.png

Edited by Red Don

just to add, during the short interview coach was pretty "soft-spoken". she was undeniably disappointed. as well she should be. maybe the team had a bit of "over-confidence" in this game being at PBA? but, when you allow a team to score 49pts just on the 3, it's most likely gonna be a tough hall (especially when you can only score 9 on 3pt'ers). i can only go by the radio call, but, it sounded like a few were challenged and were just good shots, but for the most part creighton had good looks. 

i was completely nodding my head in agreement with matt coatney's statement during the broadcast: he had received a number of various contacts asking why nebraska hadn't received some national attention. well, he pretty much stated that they hadn't beat anybody---until you start beating top ranked teams it's just not gonna be there.

btw, i sure had to question going to a zone (was it early 4th quarter?)------against the way creighton was shooting the 3? i'd like to know the reasoning behind that? it sure surprised me-----maybe coach thought it would surprise creighton? probably put a smile on their coach. hehe. 

Women's Basketball - Nebraska Cornhuskers (2019-2020)

RPI Rank: 164    SOS Rank: 275     Record: 5-1 (0-0)
Conference: Big Ten
Related Links: Nebraska Cornhuskers Men's Basketball 

GAMER Season Predictions

Projected Record:       19-10 (9-9)
Projected RPI Rank:     47
Projected SOS Rank:   58 

Check out Nebraska Cornhuskers Weekly RPI & SOS Changes 

BTW, that missouri win didn't do much for huskers as missouri is sitting at 2-4

Edited by whoopdeedoo

After sleeping on it a night...was just frustrated last night and had too much to say I guess.

Like someone else said...I'm absolutely not down on the girls. They tried to do what they seemed to be prepared to do.....but had trouble breaking the CU defense with regularity....give that to CU

It was a night where we maybe were not equipped with the right kind tools to get it done. Scheme or whatever, which has been discussed.

The biggest concerning issue, is the poor perimeter defense in particular.. No team should ever be able to shoot threes like that all 4 quarters. Must get a handle on that lack of defense.

Like also said already....we have lots of season to go.....we will definitely learn from this one....and use some of the lessons learned to our benefit in the long run. 

Some lessons can be tough pill to take, but this team may have seen what true grit can bring to the table. We're a smart team...we'll learn.

53 minutes ago, redsteve said:

After sleeping on it a night...was just frustrated last night and had too much to say I guess.

Like someone else said...I'm absolutely not down on the girls. They tried to do what they seemed to be prepared to do.....but had trouble breaking the CU defense with regularity....give that to CU

It was a night where we maybe were not equipped with the right kind tools to get it done. Scheme or whatever, which has been discussed.

The biggest concerning issue, is the poor perimeter defense in particular.. No team should ever be able to shoot threes like that all 4 quarters. Must get a handle on that lack of defense.

Like also said already....we have lots of season to go.....we will definitely learn from this one....and use some of the lessons learned to our benefit in the long run. 

Some lessons can be tough pill to take, but this team may have seen what true grit can bring to the table. We're a smart team...we'll learn.

nice post. for the most part, it seems like the huskers have had past issues with defending the 3. imo, really the only players that can really close out on the perimeter are sam and nicea. just haven't quite had that defender like 'T' was. was fun to watch her on some of the best 3 point shooters. i was trying to remember what game it was, but, do remember announcers amazed at how she was in the "pocket" of offensive player. 

31 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

nice post. for the most part, it seems like the huskers have had past issues with defending the 3. imo, really the only players that can really close out on the perimeter are sam and nicea. just haven't quite had that defender like 'T' was. was fun to watch her on some of the best 3 point shooters. i was trying to remember what game it was, but, do remember announcers amazed at how she was in the "pocket" of offensive player. 

Maybe when Brady and Helms get back on the floor, we might have a couple more options, defending the perimeter.  Fortunately, not all the teams shoot the 3 as well as Creighton did last night.  One thing I wonder about on defense.  Why do we keep sending our post player up towards the top of the key, to contend?  She's there for a second, than hustles back to her normal defensive position. I'm sure there is a reason for it.  I'm too dense to figure it out.      

Maybe when Brady and Helms get back on the floor, we might have a couple more options, defending the perimeter.  Fortunately, not all the teams shoot the 3 as well as Creighton did last night.  One thing I wonder about on defense.  Why do we keep sending our post player up towards the top of the key, to contend?  She's there for a second, than hustles back to her normal defensive position. I'm sure there is a reason for it.  I'm too dense to figure it out.      
The zone (imo) wasn't necessarily a bad idea to start because you're daring a team to beat you from the perimeter (3's). Creighton was well-prepared. They moved the ball very well giving them a bunch of wide open looks. A bunch came from the corners/baseline bc our bigs were just too slow to close out there. I didn't understand either why we STAYED in the zone though. Especially after we made that run in the 4th to cut the lead to 4. We come out of a timeout in zone and they hit back-to-back 3's. Imo that was the time to match and challenge every girl to lock their girl down. We needed to keep that momentum going!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just returned from yesterday’s very disappointing performance against a well coached, tough, gritty Creighton squad.  Before the game I thought we should dominate in the paint, we out scored the Jays there but it wasn’t dominate.  Rebounding should have been in our favor, it wasn’t.   The zone gave Creighton easy, uncontested looks and going to the 1-3-1 late was a huge mistake.

Why didn’t we try a smaller lineup to better matchup?  I would play Bourne much more and leave Haiby on the floor until she is gassed.  Hated to see CU give more effort and lastly was disappointed in the lack of development in several players.  

These are just my observations from yesterday’s lackluster effort and performance.

29 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Just returned from yesterday’s very disappointing performance against a well coached, tough, gritty Creighton squad.  Before the game I thought we should dominate in the paint, we out scored the Jays there but it wasn’t dominate.  Rebounding should have been in our favor, it wasn’t.   The zone gave Creighton easy, uncontested looks and going to the 1-3-1 late was a huge mistake.

Why didn’t we try a smaller lineup to better matchup?  I would play Bourne much more and leave Haiby on the floor until she is gassed.  Hated to see CU give more effort and lastly was disappointed in the lack of development in several players.  

These are just my observations from yesterday’s lackluster effort and performance.

Why is our overall leading scorer only playing 24 minutes?

11 minutes ago, 2000BB said:

Why is our overall leading scorer only playing 24 minutes?

If you are referring to Brown, the Huskers have 6 players averaging between 22 and 28 minutes a game. Brown was at 25.3 minutes prior to the Creighton game.   We have 4 other players averaging in double digit minutes.  Nothing new.  Coach Williams has been spreading the minutes around since day 1.

If you are referring to Brown, the Huskers have 6 players averaging between 22 and 28 minutes a game. Brown was at 25.3 minutes prior to the Creighton game.   We have 4 other players averaging in double digit minutes.  Nothing new.  Coach Williams has been spreading the minutes around since day 1.
Fresher legs at the end of the year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Maybe when Brady and Helms get back on the floor, we might have a couple more options, defending the perimeter.  Fortunately, not all the teams shoot the 3 as well as Creighton did last night.  One thing I wonder about on defense.  Why do we keep sending our post player up towards the top of the key, to contend?   She's there for a second, than hustles back to her normal defensive position. I'm sure there is a reason for it.  I'm too dense to figure it out.      

that has had me scratching my head ever since she became a husker!!! i have noticed that so many times and i have screamed " whut?---why?" 

when big ten season arrives, minny game will be interesting. built for the 3. plus, watched one game and the announcer stated they play much bigger than they are (re: rebounding).

Edited by whoopdeedoo

5 hours ago, Actualfacts1 said:

The zone (imo) wasn't necessarily a bad idea to start because you're daring a team to beat you from the perimeter (3's). Creighton was well-prepared. They moved the ball very well giving them a bunch of wide open looks. A bunch came from the corners/baseline bc our bigs were just too slow to close out there. I didn't understand either why we STAYED in the zone though. Especially after we made that run in the 4th to cut the lead to 4. We come out of a timeout in zone and they hit back-to-back 3's. Imo that was the time to match and challenge every girl to lock their girl down. We needed to keep that momentum going!

well, i have to respectfully disagree. i just don't think you go zone---especially that late in the game and they have proved they are consistently dropping the 3's.

well, i have to respectfully disagree. i just don't think you go zone---especially that late in the game and they have proved they are consistently dropping the 3's.
Oh I didn't say I agree with it; was just saying it wasn't necessarily a bad idea to make a team prove they're going to be able knock down 3's consistently through an entire game. There's a reason Jim Boheim is one of the best coaches in college basketball. But in our case, after Creighton showed our zone wasn't phasing them we should've came out of it and never gone back to it!

17 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

Yotes knock off Creighton last night 72-65.

Watched some of the South Dakota win over Ohio St in the Vegas tourney. SD is for real.....their big is consistent. Not a flashy or super quick team. but gets it done.

Think I saw therm ranked about 24th in coaches pole

32 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Watched some of the South Dakota win over Ohio St in the Vegas tourney. SD is for real.....their big is consistent. Not a flashy or super quick team. but gets it done.

Think I saw therm ranked about 24th in coaches pole

I was looking at the box score from last night - Creighton was cold cold cold shooting from everywhere on the court.  I didn't watch the game so I don't know if that was mostly due to good D by USD or if Creighton was off.  But it seems that USD always plays CU tough, kind of like CU always plays us tough.

Yotes played Missouri State a while ago and lost by 8.  Had some foul trouble early in the game and Missouri State is a good team so they took advantage of that.  Still, Yotes didn't give up and were never out of the game but couldn't quite pull it off at the end.  I think Missouri State was a sweet 16 team last year and iirc, they beat Minnesota this season.