Creighton (3-1) vs. Nebraska (5-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Same old story in basketball .....must haves in order to win...1 rebounding.....2 free throws......3 turnovers. 

Don't win them and you lose.

And...we had no outside shooting

need a defensive coach....OK i'll be quiet
Yeah defense and intensity are 2 things tat have always been lacking. There's just no pride in getting down and out working our opponents. I've been hoping one of our coaches would take the responsibility to make this part of our identity.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Actualfacts1 said:

Yeah defense and intensity are 2 things tat have always been lacking. There's just no pride in getting down and out working our opponents. I've been hoping one of our coaches would take the responsibility to make this part of our identity.

which seems kind of odd, because coach williams teams played pretty darn good defense at usd----but, different level of bb.

18 minutes ago, Actualfacts1 said:

i don't think the huskers have that "team" athleticism to play a ball hawking defense. your just not going to see that out of this squad. it's why they can't have too many off nights on the offensive end.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

i don't think the huskers have that "team" athleticism to play a ball hawking defense. your just not going to see that out of this squad. 
I agree. I'm not expecting Uconn or Notre Dame level defense. But effort and pride is where defense starts and we just don't have that. We don't get down and work hard. We don't get on the floor for loose balls. Are hands are always down (hence teams kill us from the 3 point line). It's just really frustrating to watch.

We got out coached again by Creighton. I've said it a hundred times...Nebraska is their super bowl game...no matter the sport.  We have to have the same mindset, and we typically  don't  (not just the women)

Don't feel like think their quicker.  They had a sense of urgency we just have issues finding.  We didn't take it to them until 5 min left in game. Mershon was a beast late.

They just worked harder and wanted to win. Worked harder to get rebounds, and loose balls. Worked harder to get open shots. 

They drilled it from the 3 all game long, and it was like our coaches didn't notice before the game...that is their game...they have no height....and we had no perimeter defensive scheme

We had them out-sized and outclassed inside....we didn't use a combo forward/center to score inside....Cain never had any one to drop the ball off to inside.  Sorry. but it seemed obvious we should but it just isn't in our game plan. 

It all goes back to who wanted it more...all 4 qtrs.

I'll quite crying now and move on.

Edited by redsteve

We got out coached again by Creighton. I've said it a hundred times...Nebraska is their super bowl game...no matter the sport.  We have to have the same mindset, and we typically  don't  (not just the women)

Don't feel like think their quicker.  They had a sense of urgency we just have issues finding.  We didn't take it to them until 5 min left in game. Mershon was a beast late.
They just worked harder and wanted to win. Worked harder to get rebounds, and loose balls. Worked harder to get open shots. 

They drilled it from the 3 all game long, and it was like our coaches didn't notice before the game...that is their game...they have no height....and we had no perimeter defensive scheme

We had them out-sized and outclassed inside....we didn't use a combo forward/center to score inside....Cain never had any one to drop the ball off to inside.  Sorry. but it seemed obvious we should but it just isn't in our game plan. 

It all goes back to who wanted it more...all 4 qtrs.

I'll quite crying now and move on.
Yup, exactly. We haven't beaten them in the 4 years "we've" been there. I was really hoping we'd get this one. The girls just never seem to be up for the challenge. I'm not really sure what our identity is: are we a transition team; do we score inside/out; are we a perimeter team (bc we do have really good guards); we're obviously not a hard nosed team that's just gonna outwork you. I just want us to do something really well. And then if that doesn't work you adjust accordingly. We're just "ok" at a lot of things which gets us by for lesser talented teams; but it's also why we always hover around a .500 record every year.

It was a bad loss. Period — having said that a bcs coach shouldn’t have to coach effort. That’s on the kids.  — I agree I would like us to establish an identity.  All great teams have an identity. — I disagree we always hover around 500. We were 21-11 2 years ago and 11-5 in conf. That’s not always hovering around 500. — we need some grit and a sense of urgency from our seniors. They have had good careers but need to find some urgency to impose their will on some people.  Winning teams have gritty seniors — we have the talent to win 20 games or more. 

Edited by kansashusker

3 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

So did Creighton have more quickness?  They seemed to do pretty well.

I wasn't just thinking of today's game.  Creighton has beaten us doing the same thing (shooting the 3, basically) and it seems as if we haven't figured this out.  Or we just don't want to do what it takes to beat them, as redsteve and others have suggested.  But we need to recruit athleticism and not just skill going forward.  It certainly would have helped today.  It can help cover mistakes.

It was a bad loss. Period — having said that a bcs coach shouldn’t have to coach effort. That’s on the kids.  — I agree I would like us to establish an identity.  All great teams have an identity. — I disagree we always hover around 500. We were 21-11 2 years ago and 11-5 in conf. That’s not always hovering around 500. — we need some grit and a sense of urgency from our seniors. They have had good careers but need to find some urgency to impose their will on some people.  Winning teams have gritty seniors — we have the talent to win 20 games or more. 
7-22, 21-11, 14-16 (42-49). I'm definitely not down on the girls. I rarely post anything at all bc I'm not "that" kind of parent. The main reason I'm even posting is because I agree that we have the talent to win 20 games, but were not playing up to our potential, and its very frustrating at times.

25 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Going into this year, Amy had a 42 -29 record at Nebraska.  Add in the 5  -1 record this year, and overall, she's near 500.  Admit, it's not, every year, but as a generalization, it isn't far off.  Also don't think you can put this on a single class (seniors).  Tenacity should be nurtured in practice. Effort should be expected, and across the board.  I've never been to a practice, don't know if they are intense or not.  But, I do think coaches are responsible for effort in games, and it begins in practice.

Edited by 12dozen

I get your overall 4 year math but the 7-22 was coming out of a rough time in the program with a coaching change. Not sure that one is fair to hang on the staff.  — the ups and down of years 2 and 3 and 4 so far are fair game in my opinion.   I like this years team. But they can’t just out score people.  We need a warrior mentality and urgency 

I get your overall 4 year math but the 7-22 was coming out of a rough time in the program with a coaching change. Not sure that one is fair to hang on the staff.  — the ups and down of years 2 and 3 and 4 so far are fair game in my opinion.   I like this years team. But they can’t just out score people.  We need a warrior mentality and urgency 
Agree! I don't want it to be misinterpreted that I'm taking bad about program at all. I love those girls and the coaches. I feel like this year's team could make it to the tourney again. But if we need to fix these issues early bc we will get exposed in B1G play. I just feel like we're not playing up to our potential - and it starts with effort and intensity.