Shamiel Appeal Denied. The NCAA killed Kenny.

Norm Peterson

7 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

His case for a waiver was a lot stronger than many of the waivers I’ve seen granted earlier this year. That’s a damn shame. 

All along I figured the waiver was to get an ADDITIONAL year (i.e. a third season) as it seemed like that's a decent waiver process idea.... so, when I heard that this waiver was only to receive immediate eligibility, my hopes waned as I had a feeling that all bets were off. Gallows humor, perhaps, but it all seems ironic considering it is the NCAA, and the gambling aspect.

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. NU will have three really good transfers sitting out '19-20 for the hopes of better days ahead for Nebrasketball in year 2 under Hoiberg & Co.

In a just NCAA, a combined total of 8 minutes played in the first 4 games following a coaching change where the guy who recruited you was fired would not count against a young man as an entire season of eligibility. At the very worst, he should have sat until semester and been eligible from that point as a sophomore.

But the NCAA isn't just. They're just stupid.

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

In a just NCAA, a combined total of 8 minutes played in the first 4 games following a coaching change where the guy who recruited you was fired would not count against a young man as an entire season of eligibility. At the very worst, he should have sat until semester and been eligible from that point as a sophomore.

But the NCAA isn't just. They're just stupid.

I agree with this but that's not what we applied for.  We applied for the whole season as I understand which still confuses me.  Why didn't we just apply for half a season...?  Were they that confident they would get the whole season or did they just not want to mess with him getting half a season and rather just have him starting next year.

I believe he has to redshirt an entire year at his new school. And since he didnt enroll at Nebraska until summer, that half of season he sat out last spring doesnt count as part of his redshirt? Thats the only way I can understand why he cant play in December if the staff wants him to. 

For example, Copeland enrolled in Nebraska during the spring semester so he would have been eligible mid year because he sat out at Nebraska in the spring and the fall (had he not gotten his waiver for immediate eligibility). 

Am I understanding this correctly?

Just now, khoock said:

Sad to to think that by seasons end, Shamiel Stevenson will have been in college for three years and only played one full season plus four additional games... while being completely healthy

He better work his ass off so that he's ready to go and be a big time contributor from the word go next year. He has a year to maximize his skills and then two years to put those skills to use.

He has the physical tools to be a good rebounder: a reasonably wide body, long arms and good leaping ability. He also has the potential to be a reliable threat from long range. At Pitt as a freshman, he averaged 37.5% from deep. We need those things from him.

Justin Fields - plays in 100% of the games his season prior to transfer - No Coaching Change - IMMEDIATELY ELIGIBLE 

Shamiel Stevenson - plays in 9% of the games his season prior to transfer - Coaching Change - NOT ELIGIBLE 

Sweet job NCAA. Your rules are crystal clear and really benefit the athletes. What a bunch of losers.

8 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Justin Fields - plays in 100% of the games his season prior to transfer - No Coaching Change - IMMEDIATELY ELIGIBLE 

Shamiel Stevenson - plays in 9% of the games his season prior to transfer - Coaching Change - NOT ELIGIBLE 

Sweet job NCAA. Your rules are crystal clear and really benefit the athletes. What a bunch of losers.

Yeah, the whole Justin Fields immediate eligibility sticks out to me, too. It's total nonsense.

As long as we are piling on the stupidity of the NCAA.. How about the "fine" they imposed on James Wiseman?

So you punish a kids family for accepting $11,500 to move to better the kid's life/college/career prospects because accepting the money imposes on the idea (read sham) of amateurism... OK I guess that make sense.

But no that punishment include a "fine" of $11,500 that he never had in the first place!  Why are you imposing "fines" on amateur athletes that are unable to make money under your current rules?????

*I know it is not a fine by definition - he has to donate it to charity.  but it is a de facto fine.

The silver lining to this, next year's team has legitimate size. Yvan & Walker are both big ten bodies at center. You have 3 different guys to lineup at the 4 with Cross, Stevenson, and banton. And a wild card in Arop who could show by next year he's ready to go.  Or you go banton at the 3rd guard with Cross or Stevenson at the 4. I'm excited about next year's team

Edited by thrasher31

3 hours ago, Red Don said:

To me the worse part of the sanction is the loss of the half-year to full-year of eligibility!

From what I understood, this was an immediate eligibility waiver not a hardship waiver and he was denied due to the double transfer issue not the fact that he played 8 minutes of basketball. (Basically a part A is a denial so they don't even look at part B situation)

Meaning in 2 years if he wanted to, he could still apply for a hardship waiver and potentially get that year back.

Am I wrong on that?

4 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

From what I understood, this was an immediate eligibility waiver not a hardship waiver and he was denied due to the double transfer issue not the fact that he played 8 minutes of basketball. (Basically a part A is a denial so they don't even look at part B situation)

Meaning in 2 years if he wanted to, he could still apply for a hardship waiver and potentially get that year back.

Am I wrong on that?

That makes a lot of sense, actually.