Sports Nightly 2019-20

hhcmatt

Not sure if this isn't real relevant these days but Sadler filled in for Hoiberg on Monday and despite articles in the LJS and OWH I was surprised it was not mentioned. Thought I'd make a thread and I'll plan on adding the coach's shows as they occur. If there is a relevant Moos showing feel free to add that.

Also I will plan on adding the video stream of the show.  The coach's show starts at 7pm so you can fast forward.

Oct 28th, 2019

Show #1 - Hoiberg

Nov 18th, 2019

Show #4 - Hoiberg

Timeline  (Show #4)
2:00 - 16:00 (discussed losses to date & first win, took some callers)
Commercial Break
22:20 - 29:30 (callers, MBB offensive philosophies, upcoming Cayman Islands Tournament, preparations, etc)
CB
36:30 - 41:00 (MBB rules, changes since he played, etc., Nebraska School Environment)
CB
45:00 - 52:00 (Took callers, Practices & philosophies)

Don't think there was a show last week due to Nebraska being on the Cancun trip

Dec 2nd, 2019

Show #5 - Hoiberg

Head Coach Fred Hoiberg gives an overview of the tournament

Caller John asks about FTs woes, former Huskers that were a tough matchup for HCFH as a player at Iowa St (Pike, Strickland), and finally asks for encouragement for the football team.

Caller Tyler asked about the resort (so he can humblebrag about being there) and asked about the team struggling in the 2nd game.  HCFH briefly talks abut the team meeting held after the second game.

Caller Chris asks about what does the staff do to keep the players focused when they have a big lead.

Sioux City Scott asks about Mack coming off the bench though specifically mentions he doesn't need to know why. HCFH talks about how he handled it well in game three and how he has been practicing well since the return from the Caymans.

Caller Tom asks HCFH about his thoughts on Mack crossing a guy over and pointing at him. HCFH thinks the team plays better with swagger but had a talk with Mack about it.

Greg and HCFH talk about the play of the centers and HCFH refers to Kevin Cross as being a 6'6". Went into detail about Cheatham and Burke stepping up lately.

Youth coach John asks HCFH about the mechanics of shooting. 

Kyle in FIlley doesn't have a question but notes beating Creighton would be fun and just stops.  After a pause HCFH delves into Creighton on a high level and then notes Georgia Tech is the focus. Kyle then asks about what attributes he looks for in a recruit and who he is looking for in this cycle.  HCFH notes we have one scholarship open and then lists talent to play in B1G, athleticism to play fast, shooting, and then guys that come from winning programs.

Delved into Stevenson and the sit out transfers.

Finished up the show touching on the 2020 tournament at Myrtle Beach and then looking at the upcoming schedule and playing zone at the end of the South Florida game

Beat Me to it HHCMatt with posting Show #5.  But here is a Timeline with brief descrip of topics discussed during Show #4.  (a good overall interview w/Coach Hoiberg)

(For those who don't have time for all the commercialsupload_2017-11-2_14-45-24-gif.13235)

Timeline  (Show #4)
2:00 - 16:00 (discussed losses to date & first win, took some callers)
Commercial Break
22:20 - 29:30 (callers, MBB offensive philosophies, upcoming Cayman Islands Tournament, preparations, etc)
CB
36:30 - 41:00 (MBB rules, changes since he played, etc., Nebraska School Environment)
CB
45:00 - 52:00 (Took callers, Practices & philosophies)

Edited by Red Don

While Fred isn’t the wisecracker Tim is, he’s an engaging personality with an obvious command of his topic. His patience with the callers who are either a little nervous being on the air or half-in-the bag is also commendable. After spending YEARS watching him in/around the Timberwolves organization, I’m still taken aback at times that he’s Coaching at Nebraska...

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

While Fred isn’t the wisecracker Tim is, he’s an engaging personality with an obvious command of his topic. His patience with the callers who are either a little nervous being on the air or half-in-the bag is also commendable. After spending YEARS watching him in/around the Timberwolves organization, I’m still taken aback at times that he’s Coaching at Nebraska...

By that, do you mean we're fortunate? Or that he's fallen far?

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

By that, do you mean we're fortunate? Or that he's fallen far?

That we’re EXTREMELY fortunate, & he’s learned that the bright lights/big city isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. He has the rare chance here to carry on his Grandfather’s legacy & accomplish goals that have never been met...

Dec 9th, 2019

Show #6 - Hoiberg on the road, then Gates

Hoiberg recaps the Georgia Tech and Creighton games

Georgia Tech: had a large Nebraska crowd, weren't really aggressive in the first half as we went to the FT line 0 times

Creighton: Stagnant on the offensive end which led to poor shot selection which fed the Jay's transition game. They were confident and were going down hill. We started chasing rebounds instead of getting back on D, which you can't do against Creighton.  In the 2nd half we were attacking the rim and getting into our sets...unfortunately we were trading baskets. We got it down to 17 and Burke gets a steal that goes off the ref's foot.

Responded well on Monday with a really good practice and will play on Friday and Sunday

Talked about the 2 timeouts he called in a row because guys weren't getting back in transition which was the game plan

Thor started because Mack was a minute late. Went on to talk about his time as a player under Larry Bird where Bird told the team he had never been late in his NBA career for anything and this was what he expected from the team. Hoiberg has the philosophy that if Bird, a top 10 player can be on time for everything, then there is no excuse for anyone playing for him to be late and thus it was an easy call to not start Mack.  Went on to compliment Thor about his work in the off-season and you're seeing that pay off in his shot, confidence, and that he's rarely out of position defensively.

Sharp asks about the lack of finishing off the rim.  Hoiberg notes that players are taking shots off-balance and it's impacting their accuracy. There are times where we penetrate into the lane and we should kick to an open shooter on the backside but instead try to shoot the ball over a defender. Thought we were great in the second half vs Creighton because we were attacking North-South.  They work on finishing drills every day.

HCFH talked about rivalries and how much he loved playing in those games vs Iowa.  He rattles off his record of 3-1 vs Iowa as a player and specifically mentions the loss as a sophomore where he played poorly. States his 4-1 record as a coach and called them 4 of the best wins of his coaching career.  (As you can tell, he is very much about rivalries and beating rivals)

Gets into upcoming games: 

Indiana really guards you and they have physicality at all positions. It will be a completely different game than vs the Jays who wanted to go up and down and shoot 3s. The Hoosiers will beat you up a little and crash the boards. So instead of trying to get back and find shooters we're going to have to keep them off the glass.

Noted that Purdue beat a slow team like Virginia by a lot of points which is tough to do. They have a ton of size and they're physical.

-----------

Some nuggets from Gates

Thor and Easley are often the first two guys in for practice

Morning practice helps for being able to get somewhere for recruiting if needed and making sure that guys are getting to bed on time

They want Kavas to keep shooting when he's open, don't hesitate

Burke needs to stay locked in and don't gamble because that will get him pulled off the court

Gates thinks that Arop is the only player not redshirting that has elite B1G athleticism. (He said a couple of guys sitting out has that)

15 hours ago, 49r said:
17 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Gates thinks that Arop is the only player not redshirting that has elite B1G athleticism. (He said a couple of guys sitting out has that)

Best part of the whole post.

I just don't understand why we've burned his redshirt this year.  Granted, this could be completely his decision but I hate seeing kids lose a year over just a couple of minutes or a single minute (i.e. Borchardt).  If the season continues to go south, hopefully they make a concerted effort to get him some meaningful minutes down the stretch in conference games.  Let him get some on the job experience this year and then bulk up and refine his craft in the offseason!

22 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I just don't understand why we've burned his redshirt this year.  Granted, this could be completely his decision but I hate seeing kids lose a year over just a couple of minutes or a single minute (i.e. Borchardt).  If the season continues to go south, hopefully they make a concerted effort to get him some meaningful minutes down the stretch in conference games.  Let him get some on the job experience this year and then bulk up and refine his craft in the offseason!

We don't know how Hoiberg handles redshirts...does he dictate them or do the guys?  Did they want Arop? Did they not?

We had 2-3 guys sitting out already which turned into 3 guys and now we're down to 9 scholarship players with Curtis out. He'll get more playing time as this thing goes along.

Otherwise, guys today don't redshirt. This deal where we think we can build up an advantage through fifth year seniors through guys that aren't going to play right away isn't how modern day top level D-1 programs work unfortunately. The purpose of a redshirt these days is so you don't miss a year when you transfer somewhere else.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, hhcmatt said:

If there is a relevant Moos showing feel free to add that.

Honestly,  outside of hiring Coach Hoiberg has there been anything relevant with Moos when it comes to Basketball?  He's a football AD (and maybe a bit of volleyball) AD as far as I'm concerned.  You  saw TO sitting in the stands at almost every game while he was AD.  You (or at least I) saw Moos's predecessor at most of the games while he was AD...even if you almost never saw him on the court for honors.  Moos...I think I saw a photo of him at one game, but outside of that it's almost impossible to tell that he even knows the team is playing.  

On 12/10/2019 at 4:58 PM, hhcmatt said:

Some nuggets from Gates

Thor and Easley are often the first two guys in for practice

Morning practice helps for being able to get somewhere for recruiting if needed and making sure that guys are getting to bed on time

They want Kavas to keep shooting when he's open, don't hesitate

Burke needs to stay locked in and don't gamble because that will get him pulled off the court

Speaking of Arop: At halftime, Gates was feeding him and Kevin Cross for 3-point jumpers.

Akol has a very good looking jump shot. His technique is sound and he was hitting a solid percentage of his attempts. I didn't count, but it looked like well over half went in. One stretch, I think he made at least 4 in a row and drew very little iron.

If Akol is the only player not redshirting that has elite B1G athleticism, what is keeping him off the floor?

I wish he would have redshirted. I think he has the potential to be a splendid player in year 5.

41 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Speaking of Arop: At halftime, Gates was feeding him and Kevin Cross for 3-point jumpers.

Akol has a very good looking jump shot. His technique is sound and he was hitting a solid percentage of his attempts. I didn't count, but it looked like well over half went in. One stretch, I think he made at least 4 in a row and drew very little iron.

If Akol is the only player not redshirting that has elite B1G athleticism, what is keeping him off the floor?

I wish he would have redshirted. I think he has the potential to be a splendid player in year 5.

No one generally redshirts, unless a walk-on or due to injury or some such occurrence.

On 12/15/2019 at 11:30 PM, AuroranHusker said:

No one generally redshirts, unless a walk-on or due to injury or some such occurrence.

In today's world of college hoops it also allows the kid to grad transfer that much easier. Coaches might be afraid of that now so they do not push the red shirt.

Dec 16th, 2019

Show #7 - Hoiberg 

HCFH recaps Indiana and Purdue.  It was helpful that the gameplan vs Purdue was similar to Indiana. Hoiberg specifically mentions we didn't cover the backside on the first play so they were able to throw an easy one to Haarms. 

(sure enough)

Ball movement has increased and HCFH attributes that to the guys trusting each other more. Sharp notes Kevin Cross's 5 assists in the last two games. Hoiberg notes that we had 22 assists on 26 made baskets vs Purdue. They talked about the film session after the Creighton game and the lack of following the game plan and ball movement. This also seemed to be a spark.

Hoiberg was surprised there hadn't been a triple double before. While naming some of the guys he played against made a rib on Piaktowski that he'd have to pass the ball to someone else to get the assists. Hoiberg challenged Mack and Burke to get 14 rebounds vs Purdue and they ended up with 17. Has thought Cam has really played under control the last two games.

Grand Island Chris thinks players are starting to buy in and Hoiberg is able to run with this non-question and expand on the thought. Chris doubles down and agrees with Matt Painter's assessment that Nebraska has the best fan base but once again Hoiberg is able to expand on the thought.

Sharp and Hoiberg go through the Indiana game again and HCFH thought that the key was defending well when we went through a scoring drought.

Dan in Omaha asks how Hoiberg keeps his composure and the talent/depth of the team as Arop/Easley are not getting a lot of minutes.  HCHF complements Easley, walk-ons, redshirt players. Expands on Arop improving daily and notes his contribution in the Indiana game where he got a needed extra possession. Notes that Easley was presented with an opportunity on Sunday and made the most of it.

Hoiberg likes the staff chemistry. Notes Gates' experience in the B1G here and at Northwestern. Notes he's impressed by Matt Holt in the video department. Greg and Fred delve into how much the use of video has changed over the years. Hoiberg doesn't know how many teams use video at half time but all NBA teams do.

Sharp brings up 'personnel things' which is code for Jervay Green being indefinitely suspended. Hoiberg talked about everyone having to pick it up a bit to fill in the minutes. HCFH once again praised Yvan and Cross about their play this season.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, Sharp mentions North Dakota but they don't really care to get into details. HCFH thinks Kavas is pressing a bit and the law of averages will have him make 5 in a game soon. Staff is telling him to hunt his shots. Thought he had some good takes. He's confident that he'll get going. Switching to Thor, Hoiberg could sense Thor's understanding of the game back in the spring. The offense is all about reading and reacting and Thor will get baskets because of his ability to cut. Thinks Cam and Thor have developed good chemistry. Brings up Banton in practice making 4-5 layups per day making the right read and cuts. The more high IQ players we have the better the system is going to look

Joe from Lincoln wants to know if anyone on the team is or could be a defensive stopper. Also wants to know his favorite golf course in Lincoln. HCFH leads with Cheatham. Next with Jervay. Tabs Firethorn for the golf question. 

Went over the holiday schedule. Doensn't watch much NBA but will watch the highlights for plays to borrow. The play at the end of the Indiana game (I think where Cheatham hit the three) came from there. Sharp's 3rd attempt at a Hoiberg Christmas shopping joke gets a pity laugh from the coach to end the show.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Dec 16th, 2019

Show #7 - Hoiberg 

HCFH recaps Indiana and Purdue.  It was helpful that the gameplan vs Purdue was similar to Indiana. Hoiberg specifically mentions we didn't cover the backside on the first play so they were able to throw an easy one to Haarms. 

(sure enough)

Ball movement has increased and HCFH attributes that to the guys trusting each other more. Sharp notes Kevin Cross's 5 assists in the last two games. Hoiberg notes that we had 22 assists on 26 made baskets vs Purdue. They talked about the film session after the Creighton game and the lack of following the game plan and ball movement. This also seemed to be a spark.

Hoiberg was surprised there hadn't been a triple double before. While naming some of the guys he played against made a rib on Piaktowski that he'd have to pass the ball to someone else to get the assists. Hoiberg challenged Mack and Burke to get 14 rebounds vs Purdue and they ended up with 17. Has thought Cam has really played under control the last two games.

Grand Island Chris thinks players are starting to buy in and Hoiberg is able to run with this non-question and expand on the thought. Chris doubles down and agrees with Matt Painter's assessment that Nebraska has the best fan base but once again Hoiberg is able to expand on the thought.

Sharp and Hoiberg go through the Indiana game again and HCFH thought that the key was defending well when we went through a scoring drought.

Dan in Omaha asks how Hoiberg keeps his composure and the talent/depth of the team as Arop/Easley are not getting a lot of minutes.  HCHF complements Easley, walk-ons, redshirt players. Expands on Arop improving daily and notes his contribution in the Indiana game where he got a needed extra possession. Notes that Easley was presented with an opportunity on Sunday and made the most of it.

Hoiberg likes the staff chemistry. Notes Gates' experience in the B1G here and at Northwestern. Notes he's impressed by Matt Holt in the video department. Greg and Fred delve into how much the use of video has changed over the years. Hoiberg doesn't know how many teams use video at half time but all NBA teams do.

Sharp brings up 'personnel things' which is code for Jervay Green being indefinitely suspended. Hoiberg talked about everyone having to pick it up a bit to fill in the minutes. HCFH once again praised Yvan and Cross about their play this season.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, Sharp mentions North Dakota but they don't really care to get into details. HCFH thinks Kavas is pressing a bit and the law of averages will have him make 5 in a game soon. Staff is telling him to hunt his shots. Thought he had some good takes. He's confident that he'll get going. Switching to Thor, Hoiberg could sense Thor's understanding of the game back in the spring. The offense is all about reading and reacting and Thor will get baskets because of his ability to cut. Thinks Cam and Thor have developed good chemistry. Brings up Banton in practice making 4-5 layups per day making the right read and cuts. The more high IQ players we have the better the system is going to look

Joe from Lincoln wants to know if anyone on the team is or could be a defensive stopper. Also wants to know his favorite golf course in Lincoln. HCFH leads with Cheatham. Next with Jervay. Tabs Firethorn for the golf question. 

Went over the holiday schedule. Doensn't watch much NBA but will watch the highlights for plays to borrow. The play at the end of the Indiana game (I think where Cheatham hit the three) came from there. Sharp's 3rd attempt at a Hoiberg Christmas shopping joke gets a pity laugh from the coach to end the show.

Love these summaries for those of us that are not able to listen.  

Very thankful to have someone like you (and many others) doing the yeoman's work here

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone does these call in shows, and you can get this question pass the screener, you should ask what Matej Kavas brings to the rotation that Akol Arop and/or Jervay Green (depending on how his situation works out) cant/wont bring?

Not even trying to obnoxiously hate on Kavas as I know their are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that we dont know about. Just really curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello old friend. I can't believe that they had one of these on Dec 30th, but they did.

Show #8 - With Matt A and Bobby Lutz. 

I'm just sort of listening here. Matt A up first talking about recruiting Cam Mack and then talking more recruiting in the next segment.

A couple with Lutz who, as he's not an assistant, isn't allowed to coach players.