Positives I have seen thus far...

40 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

1. We run.
          Make or miss we run. It has been something I have been screaming about for years now. Wings... Must... Run. Bigs who don't get rebounds... Must... Run. Running doesn't mean you have to play fast or take bad, early shots. But it exhausts the defense and always pays off eventually.

Reading this part made me think about the DePaul game last night.  They were ruthless with this from the tip.  About a minute into the game they had Iowa down 10-0 and Garza looked already like he was about to melt into a giant pool of sweat.  From there it just got worse for the home team.

Our guys have a ways to go to be able to play with the kind of swag and defensive effort DePaul did last night, but I have hope that is where we're headed.  Really cool to see DePaul look like the high-flying Blue Demons of the old Ray Meyer days too, BTW.

I have been thinking but just hadn't gotten around to posting (there are a few threads that cover a similar point of view) that it's a bit hard to envision what a Hoiberg offense would really look like when it's very reliant on the 3-point shot yet our starters the other night were a combined 3 for 18.

But, fine, people, go ahead and question whether Hoiberg can get it done here or what have you. Two games into the season.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Reading this part made me think about the DePaul game last night.  They were ruthless with this from the tip.  About a minute into the game they had Iowa down 10-0 and Garza looked already like he was about to melt into a giant pool of sweat.  From there it just got worse for the home team.

Our guys have a ways to go to be able to play with the kind of swag and defensive effort DePaul did last night, but I have hope that is where we're headed.  Really cool to see DePaul look like the high-flying Blue Demons of the old Ray Meyer days too, BTW.

Brings to mind the old CBS promos of the Big Dance when they played Kenny Loggins “This is It” while Mark Aguirre threw down a massive one-handed jam!

I support this post.

Fred is a dude.  

I have very few concerns he's going to get some dudes in here.  He's already got some great looking underclassmen and some killers sitting out.  It's really an incredible parallel to Frost in terms of timing.  The only difference is a basketball roster can change overnight with the addition of 1-2 players.  Football takes 3-4 years of those sorts of players filling out each class.  

It takes awhile to get used to having alpha dogs patrolling the sidelines, but they typically get their way because they are relentless.  I'm glad we have one at the helm of both prominent men's programs.  

48 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Has there ever been a roster situation like we're seeing here? Where nobody has ever played with each other before? I'm sure there has been, but I haven't been able to find it.

I was thinking about this the other day and I think a pretty decent parallel might be Coach Miles' first team at Colorado State.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Has there ever been a roster situation like we're seeing here? Where nobody has ever played with each other before? I'm sure there has been, but I haven't been able to find it.

University of Miami, 1985-86. They re-booted the program and that was the first year back after 15. However, they used 1984-85 to scrimmage and practice together, but they didn't play a game until the next year. BTW, the 'Canes won their first three games, including an upset of Georgia.

Another fun note: the 'Canes played their first few seasons in a convention center auditorium called the Knight Center. Almost all of the seats were on one side, and they put some bleachers on a stage on the other side of the floor. The most bizarre basketball setting I ever witnessed.

Edited by jayschool

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

University of Miami, 1985-86. They re-booted the program and that was the first year back after 15. However, they used 1984-85 to scrimmage and practice together, but they didn't play a game until the next year. BTW, the 'Canes won their first three games, including an upset of Georgia.

Another fun note: the 'Canes played their first few seasons in a convention center auditorium called the Knight Center. Almost all of the seats were on one side, and they put some bleachers on a stage on the other side of the floor. The most bizarre basketball setting I ever witnessed.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

2006 Baylor maybe?  They had like 3 guys from the year before on their team and were not allowed to play any non-con games.  Only conference games and they went 4-12 and lost to Colorado in the Big 12 tournament.

These both seem like different situations than a simple coaching change where the coach chose not to keep any of the players.

no one likes taking a mulligan for a full season, but this is just one of those exceptions. 

i still think that given how disappointing last season was, having two brutal seasons like this in a row is tough to stomach. 

but we'll get thru them. just support these guys the best we can as long as they're trying. 

and get used to a lot of sardonic humor from a few of us. :) 

6 minutes ago, tcp said:

no one likes taking a mulligan for a full season, but this is just one of those exceptions. 

i still think that given how disappointing last season was, having two brutal seasons like this in a row is tough to stomach. 

but we'll get thru them. just support these guys the best we can as long as they're trying. 

and get used to a lot of sardonic humor from a few of us. :) 

What's new about that.... 😉