Shooting percentages

jayschool

Proof that being good in JC, the Atlantic Sun, the Colonial or the WAC doesn't translate to Divison I, even against mediocre to bad competition:

• Cam Mack shooting percentages at JC: 45.6 FG, 33.7 3P, 64.6 FT.
  • Cam Mack shooting at Nebraska: 33.3 FG, 18.2 3P, 50.0 FT.
  • Jervay Green shooting at WNCC (2018-19): 54.7 FG, 39.0 3P, 53.6 FT.
  • Jervay Green shooting at Nebraska: 29.6 FG, 23.1 3P, 50.0 FT.
  • Dachon Burke shooting at RMU (2017-2018): 45.9 FG, 33.8 3P, 62.8 FT.
  • Dachon Burke shooting at Nebraska: 35.3 FG, 13.3 3P, 87.5 FT!
  • Matej Kavas shooting at Seattle (2018-19): 45.8 FG, 45.8 3P, 79.2 FT.
  • Matej Kavas shooting at Nebraska: 37.5 FG, 40.0 3P, 57.1 FT.
  • Haanif Cheatham shooting at Marquette: 47.2 FG, 36.7 3P, 78.9 FT.
  • Haanif Cheatham shooting at FGCU: 45.4 FG, 36.4 3P, 65.0 FT.
  • Haanif Cheatham shooting at Nebraska: 16.7 FG, 0.0 3P, 42.9 FT.

I would guess these guys eventually find the range, but maybe not at the rate they were used to in inferior conferences such as JC, the Big East and the rest.

Good stuff - have to think these transfer guys will improve going forward, at least start to approach what they've done before. They may be thinking too much trying to learn the new offense and figuring out how to interact with each other on the court, etc., which is affecting them when shooting.

At this point, though, it's beyond bad. And these are the guys we knew we'd have to lean on heavily, so it's doubly punitive. 

38 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I would guess these guys eventually find the range, but maybe not at the rate they were used to in inferior conferences such as JC, the Big East and the rest.

Just an opinion, but you're giving the BE too much credit here. I saw Butler and Seton Hall and that other blue team play in person last year. Blecch. I'd probably give up on the game if I had to watch BE teams every night.

Edited by throwback

I am not as convinced that the shooting percentages will improve on all of our players.  Some yes, but not all.  We have some players who look good from deep.  Others, not so much.  Just being real.  High School and Juco shooters face less defensive effort than at high division one.  PLUS, the line has been moved back this season.  That extra several inches can make a difference. 

I am also concerned about our ability to finish at the rim.  We miss a ton of bunnies.  And those misses are not coming against many of the big bodies we will face as the season moves forward.   

And lest I forget...our free throw shooting...yikes.

Not sure I'd call it proof...yet...

The common belief is that it typically takes 10-15 games for JUCO players to adjust to the D1 level. A 2 game sample for all of those guys is really small. It's probably worth holding off judgment on any of these guys just yet.

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not as convinced that the shooting percentages will improve on all of our players.  Some yes, but not all.  We have some players who look good from deep.  Others, not so much.  Just being real.  High School and Juco shooters face less defensive effort than at high division one.  PLUS, the line has been moved back this season.  That extra several inches can make a difference. 

I am also concerned about our ability to finish at the rim.  We miss a ton of bunnies.  And those misses are not coming against many of the big bodies we will face as the season moves forward.   

And lest I forget...our free throw shooting...yikes.

This is the one area I've been pleased with how Cross has done so far. He's handled his shots around the rim pretty well. The guards will learn how to finish through that kind of traffic over time. I remember Tai getting swallowed at the rim his freshman year. By the time he left, he'd become excellent around the rim. Give the guys some time. They'll get it.

Edited by uneblinstu

Here are the numbers to back up what some of you might not get to see since most of the games have been on pay TV: we're really, really struggling to score in our half court offense.

Via hoops-math.com: 

"Transition shots are defined as occuring within the first 10 seconds of a possession after a steal, defensive rebound, or opponent score."

Transition offense:  37.7% of our shots, 58.1 eFG%

Other "half court" offense: 62.3% percent of our  shots, 26.33 eFG%

In other words, when we have to execute our offense against a set defense, we really, really struggle to score.

Couple of good news items to grab from here

• I think we can maintain at least a 30% share of our offense in transition.  It's definitely our focus so I don't expect us to slow down even when teams sell out to try and force us to
  • You have to think that our lack of execution/shooting on the offensive end has to be in part because of the unfamiliarity of the system.  It would stand to reason that this team should become better throughout the year at executing.  The real question is where we will fall between 'marginally better' and 'markedly better'