I love the Huskers and new staff, but...

I think this team will be the least successful in modern NU history. Green and Mack were right about the rebounding and it will only get worse as the quality of teams improves. The team's chance at being decent this year ended when the seven footer, Jace Johnson chose Marquette over NU. There were a couple other whiffs on post players- what is it about NU and the lack of inside players? It shocks me that Hoiberg thought the team had a chance to be good without being able to rebound....

Nevertheless, I will stand with the Huskers this year despite the likelihood of going through the conference winless. Yes we should have a chance to knock off Northwestern on March 1 in Lincoln. My primary worry is how this might impact recruiting. I hope the awfulness of this year's squad doesn't scare off Sallis, and the other highly rated post players considering NU. I'm an old man who has been supporting NU in vain for decades so the transition from the recruiting season which opened with some promise quickly transforms into that horrible, sinking feeling many of us know too well. 

55 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

I think this team will be the least successful in modern NU history. Green and Mack were right about the rebounding and it will only get worse as the quality of teams improves. The team's chance at being decent this year ended when the seven footer, Jace Johnson chose Marquette over NU. There were a couple other whiffs on post players- what is it about NU and the lack of inside players? It shocks me that Hoiberg thought the team had a chance to be good without being able to rebound....

Nevertheless, I will stand with the Huskers this year despite the likelihood of going through the conference winless. Yes we should have a chance to knock off Northwestern on March 1 in Lincoln. My primary worry is how this might impact recruiting. I hope the awfulness of this year's squad doesn't scare off Sallis, and the other highly rated post players considering NU. I'm an old man who has been supporting NU in vain for decades so the transition from the recruiting season which opened with some promise quickly transforms into that horrible, sinking feeling many of us know too well. 

Hoiberg has said numerous times in the press and smaller settings that this team is going to struggle a lot especially early. He said he feels good about years 2-3 catching up pretty fast if things go well.

Johnson may have helped but he was not turning this team into a post season team so I will take 4 years of Drago over him for a year every day that ends in Y. I am not worried about recruiting at all yet. He got some real sought after guys in a few weeks, give him time to target and really recruit guys he wants before I worry even a bit

1 hour ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Sallis strikes me as a player that isn’t staying in state regardless. 

10 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Appreciate both responses.

I agree I'd much rather see Drago for a full career than Johnson for one. Question to OmahaHusker: what makes you think Sallis will leave the state? (I always think a potential star will leave, by the way!)

Just more of a gut feeling. I’ve also heard from a couple different people that if Kansas were to offer it’s over. 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, hskr4life said:

I too worry about recruiting.  I don’t think players will see “Hoiberg” and automatically say that they want to play wherever he is coaching.  I don’t think his name carries that much weight... yet... but hopefully soon.

Howcome? He got good players at Iowa St. Its not like Iowa St was a basketball powerhouse and we have better facilities with a coach who's not only coached guys that made it to the NBA but coached in the NBA. If he could get guys to play in Ames IA why cant he get guys to Lincoln Nebraska?

This team set a record for conference wins just a few years ago with a coach we all agree isnt as good as Hoiberg.

Its year 1 for a coach who put a roster together in literally 60 days. Give him a few seasons.

6 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Howcome? He got good players at Iowa St. Its not like Iowa St was a basketball powerhouse and we have better facilities with a coach who's not only coached guys that made it to the NBA but coached in the NBA. If he could get guys to play in Ames IA why cant he get guys to Lincoln Nebraska?

This team set a record for conference wins just a few years ago with a coach we all agree isnt as good as Hoiberg.

Its year 1 for a coach who put a roster together in literally 60 days. Give him a few seasons.

The comment was in reference to having a bad season and not winning very many games.  Personally, I just think it will be tough to get “the best” here to NU for most all coaches.  For example....

Sure, Coach K, Cal, Self, and Izzo could probably get “the best” to come here no matter how many games we were winning.  But I don’t think Hoiberg has a name that carries that much weight (yet). 

It’s not that I don’t think he can recruit.  It’s not that I don’t think we will get solid players.  It’s also not that I think his recruiting is the reason we have the roster that we do (which I think is pretty good for a few months of recruiting).  It’s more that the history of Nebraska and our on-court performance I think off-sets recruiting ability initially for “big time” players.  Miles was great about finding a few diamonds in the rough early that turned out to be high ranking by their senior year of HS.  Fred may have to do that initially.

• 1 year later...