uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 2 - Southern Utah

uneblinstu

18 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m guessing Fred didn’t “draw up” a one-handed, alley oop dunk to win the game. Like Chick Hearn use to say, “the mustard fell off the hotdog”....

Gosh, it was such a pretty play. I'm fairly confident he drew up a lob. Just didn't quite execute the ending. Everything that led up to it was just masterful. Shame it didn't work out in the end. He's drawn up a number of things like this out of deadballs. I'm quite excited about seeing more of this over the years.

Edited by uneblinstu

I had to take a day to collect my thoughts on that. First time watching them up close and a couple thoughts

-in theory, Stevenson helps us against the zone look that teams throw. Can flash to the high post or gives us a shooter

-kavas has been REALLY dissapointing. He seems reluctant to shoot and his defense leaves a bit to be desired. Cheathem at least rebounds for his position and is a high IQ player. Kavas right now isn't offering much, which isn't good

-cam Mack, Burke, and Green are all players. Each showed me something different today to be confident in them moving forward.

-Yvan had an off game, and cross stepped up. I was bullish on Cross because I felt he would get bullied come big ten play, but his body looks better. Still needs muscle but I'm impressed. Yvan is raw, but the physicality is there. Ideally, that's the starting frontcourt next year with Walker good to go. Or we see them on the court together more often than not.

-team plays better when Thor is in. No ifs ands or buts about it. 

It's gonna be a long season guys. But there's reasons to be optimistic. Brand New team with a bunch of guys who haven't played together in a game setting AND some with no D1 experience. This start, while troublesome, doesn't shock me

Kind of crazy numbers here to start the season that probably point to a combination of how vital Mack is to this team and how utterly inept the team has been offensively as a whole.

-43 made FGs in 90 min of play (obviously terrible)

-That's 0.478 FG per minute of play

-Mack has had a hand in  (either made or assisted on)  23 of the 43 FGs (53.5%)

-Green has had a hand in 11 FGs (25.6%)

-Burke has had a hand in 8 FGs (18.6%)

-Last season, we made 0.634 FG per minute of game play (916 FGs in 1445 min)

-Watson had a hand in 290 FGs (31.7%)

-Palmer had a hand in 320 FGs (34.9%)

As bad as things have been so far in 19-20, I can't even imagine where it would be at without Mack.

20 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I said it before the season, look at what he did at ISU, a much better program. It sucks but from fan perspective this is a throw away season. We will get better as the season progresses but that doesn’t mean we are going to win many games. May win in the range of 5 to 10 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that your range is as high as 10 makes me happy.

13 minutes ago, throwback said:

Kind of crazy numbers here to start the season that probably point to a combination of how vital Mack is to this team and how utterly inept the team has been offensively as a whole.

-43 made FGs in 90 min of play (obviously terrible)

-That's 0.478 FG per minute of play

-Mack has had a hand in  (either made or assisted on)  23 of the 43 FGs (53.5%)

-Green has had a hand in 11 FGs (25.6%)

-Burke has had a hand in 8 FGs (18.6%)

-Last season, we made 0.634 FG per minute of game play (916 FGs in 1445 min)

-Watson had a hand in 290 FGs (31.7%)

-Palmer had a hand in 320 FGs (34.9%)

As bad as things have been so far in 19-20, I can't even imagine where it would be at without Mack.

Comparing makes per minute isn't a great way to compare these two teams given how different they are in style and tempo.

5 minutes ago, PimpMario said:
20 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I said it before the season, look at what he did at ISU, a much better program. It sucks but from fan perspective this is a throw away season. We will get better as the season progresses but that doesn’t mean we are going to win many games. May win in the range of 5 to 10 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that your range is as high as 10 makes me happy.

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Gosh, it was such a pretty play. I'm fairly confident he drew up a lob. Just didn't quite execute the ending. Everything that led up to it was just masterful. Shame it didn't work out in the end. He's drawn up a number of things like this out of deadballs. I'm quite excited about seeing more of this over the years.

According to the OWH this was the play Coach Fred drew up, & yes it was pretty. Still would’ve preferred a short jumper or someone taking it to the hoop...

14 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

According to the OWH this was the play Coach Fred drew up, & yes it was pretty. Still would’ve preferred a short jumper or someone taking it to the hoop...

IDK, I guess if you can draw up a play to get the ball to within a foot of the rim and a clean look, I'd take that every time over a jumper. A bit better of a pass and maybe a hard lesson for Jervay to learn about trying to do too much in that sitautation and we're having a different conversation. 

2 hours ago, jason2486 said:

So much this, which drives me crazy sometimes because we hardly use zone!

I believe it’s coming. I’m sure so much to learn for these guys that the coaches are waiting to throw it out when they know we  are capable of running it effectively 

Edited by MichHusker

22 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Sophomore Guard Cam Mack

On taking a step forward from the last game:

“I mean I feel like we took a step forward, but when it came down to it "we should have won that game. We should have just won the game." I mean we didn’t execute well (enough). I didn’t come through making my two free throws so I took the blame on that. But we just didn’t execute. That’s all it is.”

I find the Bold very encouraging!

12 hours ago, MichHusker said:

I believe it’s coming. I’m sure so much to learn for these guys that the coaches are waiting to throw it out when they know we  are capable of running it effectively 

Agree. Doc's half court man and transition defense are actually fairly complex systems and difficult to learn for new players, but extremely effective when they are installed.  I was impressed with our defense for about half the game, which was a major improvement from the atrocity of first game.  

I'd like to see Cross and Yvan as our starters at the 4-5.  We are too good in transition to never get a rebound or get slowly murdered in post iso plays every half court possession.  

My rotation until Stevenson joins would be:

Mack - Easley 

Green - Curtis

Cheatham - Burke

Cross - Thor

Yvan - Arop

I realize the second unit is terrible, but they can shoot, and you could basically just greenlight Burke every possession when he comes in.  Mack has earned enormous minutes so easily would literally just spell him a couple here and there.  What could that hurt?  I really, really, don't like Mack/Green/Burke/Cheatham on the court at the same time on either end of the court.  It might be our most effective lineup right now, but that doesn't mean we've found our most effective lineup. 

After seeing both Arop and Kavas play and hearing about how great of a kid Arop is, you can't tell me he isn't every bit as valuable right now as Kavas.  Arop at the 5 might sound crazy, but he is an ultra athlete and could at least make an opposing 5 sprint around every play.  He's also a serviceable three point shooter.  

Again, this would just be until Stevenson joins, then I'd put him at the 4-5 with Yvan off of the bench for Cross.  

Anybody else notice Samari Curtis sitting on the bench during halftime warm-ups? He did not play in the second half. Guessing he lipped off in the locker room during half time?

I also noticed his "why-am-I-still-playing-I'm-a-high-profile-recruit" body language at the end of the Doane game. Had to be replaced by Cross for the last couple minutes.

My gut tells me he will not be on the team next year. Heck, could even be gone after this semester.

For whatever reason Samari Curtis has not seen the floor much through two games. I didnt see him playing much anyway and predicted him not to make the rotation once Hoiberg cuts it down to eight guys. 

He is in a tough spot having to battle Dachon Burke, Cam Mack, and Jervay Green for playing time. They may not be world beaters but they are no slouches.l either. All three have eligibility next year as well. 

On 11/12/2019 at 2:20 PM, Art Vandalay said:

I actually a few players not shooting around at half vs Riverside and was not sure why. Also noticed 1-2 just throwing up poor shots which had me concerned as we were not exactly lighting it up. We have a lot of growing to do physically and mentally

I had to be "old man get off my lawn" guy, but I haven't been too impressed with Cam Mack's body language so far. Lots of pouting when things don't go his way.