Southern Utah (1-0) vs. Nebraska (0-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:
9 minutes ago, khoock said:

Didnt think we would be good. Didnt think we would be this bad either.

Iowa St made a considerable jump under Hoiberg in year 2. Hopefully we see the same. 

This year was always going to be rough. Even if we retained Miles. I have had the chance to watch either game but based on some other folks I’ve talked to the action is good. Players just aren’t executing yet. Hopefully that comes with time. 

Just being salty right now, but everybody (and the media and rankings as well) said the same thing about Frost too.

We blew a 14 point 2nd half lead.  To SUU. We’re 0-2 in a basketball season where we have played CSB and SUU.  We still have to play 20 B1G games.  There’s finishing with 10-12 wins and doing terrible in the B1G.  Then there is where we’re heading.  Where we’re heading isn’t a good place for fans or recruits.  It’s game 2, I’m trying not to overreact, but it’s hard not to when your 0-2 and staring a 5ish win season dead in the eyes.

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

We blew a 14 point 2nd half lead.  To SUU. We’re 0-2 in a basketball season where we have played CSB and SUU.  We still have to play 20 B1G games.  There’s finishing with 10-12 wins and doing terrible in the B1G.  Then there is where we’re heading.  Where we’re heading isn’t a good place for fans or recruits.  It’s game 2, I’m trying not to overreact, but it’s hard not to when your 0-2 and staring a 5ish win season dead in the eyes.

I had 11 for a win total, don't know if we will get to that even.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

And even when we had a second chance, we couldn't close out a game where the opponent scored 3 points in the first OT.

...and a third chance. A couple free throws would've done it.

In such a close game, it's easy to overthink outcomes, but man it's a matter of a couple points here or there! Obv we should be ranked around 200. Hope and think they'll improve 

16 hours ago, jayschool said:

I just want to stop getting ridiculous tweets and texts from Iowa fans and Jayskers. Is that too much to ask?

As evidenced by the following...

Iowa:

"I’d be in seventh heaven if Hoiberg AND Frost failed."

"Lol at least they have women's vball"

"Heres my crystal ball prediction...nebby no matter who the coach is will never be legit..."

"freddie will be retired or fired in 5 years..."

"He got what he wanted, a trip to Italy, to include his family. Mission accomplished. IMHO, watching the players, they weren't impressed with the sight seeing. I see Doc Sadler is back coaching with Hoiberg. Doc quit as HC of South Miss to join nebby/Hoiberg. As the nebby HC for 6 years,Doc managed to get nebby into 3 NITs, no NCAAs. Oh well."

"I watched a segment about them and their trip to Italy on the Big 10 channel. Man-o-man........their players looked like something dead, that the cat drug in. None of them passed the eyeball test as to what, one would think, a Big 10 basketball player should look like."

"Hope... Nebby hoops, just like football, crashes and burns."

"...Is it bad that I love that it’s killing you to have your teams suck?!?!"

"Southern Utah from beautiful Cedar City wins 79-78 in double OT."

Creighton:

"Getting drilled at home by Riverside. Nebrasketball.. add Riverside with Incarnate Word, Sanford, UMBC, etc.."

"They probably wish they had Miles back, he probably could have done better first game. ...I could not have asked for a better first game for Hoiberg."

"This is glorious. What are you gonna pump now OWH?"

"Wonder who wins more this year, Frost or Fred? Honestly this is a legit question lol"

"Good Lord, the “nothing to gain and everything to lose” series continues for another year."

Northwestern:

"That may well be our only chance at a conference win ..."

All other Big Ten schools:

"Northwestern and Nebraska are looking to be some of the worst BIG teams this decade."

"This game has been insanely poor. Nebraska makes so many basketball mistakes that you just don’t expect to see from a D1 team."

A couple things...

IF, and it's a BIG IF, we start to hit 3's at an average clip, somewhere in the low 30s, as well as start to convert our atrocious % from 5 feet and in, we are going to be alright.

2nd, our guys will take leaps forward throughout the year. Just look at Cross from game 1 to 2, and SUU was way better than C-R.

Lastly, one thing that isn't being talked about enough is that our potentially best player (I'd argue top 3 for sure) still hasn't played a game and will most likely have a tremendous impact once eligible. 

Sucky start, absolutely, but please, if anyone is near a ledge, game 2, year 1, yikes, your expectations are UNREALISTIC. You've clearly forgotten we're historically insignificant, and that this will take time. If this was year 3 or 4, then I'd understand panic. Just enjoy the little things like guys getting better and pulling off a couple upsets.