Southern Utah (1-0) vs. Nebraska (0-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Kavas is a worse basketball player than Mcveigh ever was!!  defense is atrocious.

They don’t play defense that’s part of this scheme. The goal is to outscore the opponent and if you give up baskets so be it. I love Hoiberg but I think he might have to change some aspects of the scheme, much like I think Frost will have to eventually in the Big Ten. 

I love how quickly we go from "Hoiberg did an amazing job pulling in such talented players in such a short amount of time" to "everyone sucks".

This wouldnt be fair to Cheatham or Kavas. But i would only play players who will have eligibility next year. We are bad. Really, really bad. Lets atleast be bad with players who will be back next year.

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

I had a very interesting discussion after the first game with another fan. He told me he is concerned Hoiberg might turn out to be like Chip Kelly. One of the reasons Hoiberg (Iowa St bball) and Chip (Oregon fball) were so good bc they had barrier breaking, innovative offensive schemes. Both left for the pros in their respective sports and when they returned to college almost everyone is doing what they were doing. Not so innovative and cutting edge anymore.

This isnt necessarily my opinion but I thought it was an interesting take, albeit WAY too early in Hoibergs tenure, and worth sharing.

I get what your friend is saying. But every single time Hoiberg drew something up in a timeout, we got a great look. When we run a set play or quick hitter, we get great looks. If our players could make a layup and/or shoot the 3 at even a slightly below average rate, we would’ve won this game by 20+. This is just what this year is going to be like. Three of our five/six most talented players aren’t eligible to play right now. We just need more talent on the floor. 

Just now, millerhusker said:

I get what your friend is saying. But every single time Hoiberg drew something up in a timeout, we got a great look. When we run a set play or quick hitter, we get great looks. If our players could make a layup and/or shoot the 3 at even a slightly below average rate, we would’ve won this game by 20+. This is just what this year is going to be like. Three of our five/six most talented players aren’t eligible to play right now. We just need more talent on the floor. 

I agree. Basketball is a quick turn around sport.

On paper you replace Kavas with Banton, Cheatham with Donovan Williams, and add in Derrick Walker. Plus an offseason to learn the scheme and reshape bodies. I am very much optimistic about the future.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

On paper you replace Kavas with Banton, Cheatham with Donovan Williams, and add in Derrick Walker. Plus an offseason to learn the scheme and reshape bodies. I am very much optimistic about the future.

Semi Quick - Even a guy like Bruce Pearl won a combined 9 conf games his first 2 seasons. When you're starting from nothing - it will be 2-3 years before you see the fruits of your labor.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

doesn't sound very promising with Donovan Williams right now.....  He might be looking elsewhere

1 minute ago, khoock said:

When is the future?

To steal from The Smiths

"When exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone"

All this starting over and building for the future and we have one more NCAA tournament appearance than we did when I was young and still capable of hope. I can't blame Hoiberg for the past, but the present is uninspired.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

Didnt think we would be good. Didnt think we would be this bad either.

Iowa St made a considerable jump under Hoiberg in year 2. Hopefully we see the same. 

This year was always going to be rough. Even if we retained Miles. I have had the chance to watch either game but based on some other folks I’ve talked to the action is good. Players just aren’t executing yet. Hopefully that comes with time. 

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Semi Quick - Even a guy like Bruce Pearl won a combined 9 conf games his first 2 seasons. When you're starting from nothing - it will be 2-3 years before you see the fruits of your labor.

Yep. Matt Painter is one of the best coaches in the world. They lost about 20 games his first year at Purdue, and I’m sure fans were unhappy. Since then, he’s finished in the top 3 in the big ten nine times.

Fred Hoiberg is also one of the best basketball coaches in the world. Purdue can get top tier talent just on their name alone. It’s gonna take some time here.

2 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

When is the future?

To steal from The Smiths

"When exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone"

All this starting over and building for the future and we have one more NCAA tournament appearance than we did when I was young and still capable of hope. I can't blame Hoiberg for the past, but the present is uninspired.

I think we will see significant improvement in year two.