Cope & Roby both on 2019-20 Texas Legends G-League roster

AuroranHusker

Can someone explain something to me - why is Roby playing in the G-League right away when he's the highest paid second round draft pick of all time? Why wouldn't you have him down with your guys and playing right away if you have that type of investment in him?

BTW - I thought I'd also add, just in case this comes to fruition, but I've always felt that Copeland would be the best pro from that team. His injury obviously hampers that expectations - but I feel as if he was the most underutilized and unrecognized talent that we have ever had at NU. Just my opinion. 

50 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Can someone explain something to me - why is Roby playing in the G-League right away when he's the highest paid second round draft pick of all time? Why wouldn't you have him down with your guys and playing right away if you have that type of investment in him?

BTW - I thought I'd also add, just in case this comes to fruition, but I've always felt that Copeland would be the best pro from that team. His injury obviously hampers that expectations - but I feel as if he was the most underutilized and unrecognized talent that we have ever had at NU. Just my opinion. 

The apparent answer to the Roby inquiry is abundant playing time to learn the pro game from their organization. It's a heady business decision, for the long term.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

It's akin to getting reps with the third team while still learning to play within the offensive and defensive philosophies of the coaching staff.  He's kind of a tweener at the 3-4 and has some pretty good players ahead of him at both spots on the Mavs roster.  I think he'll be called up as a utility guy for the first year or two before ultimately being on the roster full time.  

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Roby was a rare sight for the Mavs in the pre-season games, and was a DNP in his one game that he suited up in the real deal.  I think the decision falls squarely on playing time.  The Mavs invested for the future of what Roby could be.  But he needs time to develop.  While it's not apples to apples, think of it as a MLB team investing a ton in a 1st round pick, but playing that guy in A and AA ball for a year or two.

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

My thinking is Luka is 20 and Por(can't spell) is 24. In two years those 3 will be 22, 23, and 26. Play Roby as much as you can for these two years because that's when I think the contend. And then hopefully he's ready and management looks like geniuses 😀

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Roby is currently 1 TO shy of a triple double.  Certainly had his ups and downs but you can see how good he can be!

Take away the TOs and he had a very efficient night.  Two of those turnovers came on back-to-back possessions where he was trying to do way too much.  One the first one he basically went isolation from half court and lost the ball on the dribble.  The next possession he caught the ball in the post, quickly got double-teamed, and had his outlet pass deflected and stolen.  Once they set his role, he's going to shine on this team.