Stevenson..

I'm just thinking about the rotation more.  What stood out to me the most is the lack of beef on the court.

I think I'd like to see a 2-wave lineup... 

Mack - Easley

Burke - Green

Cheatham - Thor

Stevenson - Kavas

Yvan - Cross

I think the starters would function as a typical starting D1 lineup in their roles.  The 2nd group would be encouraged to have little hesitation in firing away.  I'm just not sure there are enough basketballs for Mack/Burke/Green on the court at the same time--particularly Green and Burke.. they are very similar players.  

As long as Stevenson is out, we gotta consider a small ball lineup with Kavas at the 5 when Yvan is on the bench.  If Cross isn't quite ready to knock down threes and stretch driving lanes for our guards, Kavas might be our best option there while Cross develops and we await Stevenson's return.

Also, is it just me, or can Cam get a layup any time he wants?  Just make the damn thing, kid.  

After these last 2 games, I think it's pretty clear Jervay is the backup at point.

Don't know who's minutes get adjusted to get Shamiel in the game, but Kavas doesn't start anyway.

This is all yet to be seen. We're going to have to watch at least a couple more games to get a sense of this group. Hopefully the shooting last night was just a one-off event.

12 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I'm just thinking about the rotation more.  What stood out to me the most is the lack of beef on the court.

I think I'd like to see a 2-wave lineup... 

Mack - Easley

Burke - Green

Cheatham - Thor

Stevenson - Kavas

Yvan - Cross

I think the starters would function as a typical starting D1 lineup in their roles.  The 2nd group would be encouraged to have little hesitation in firing away.  I'm just not sure there are enough basketballs for Mack/Burke/Green on the court at the same time--particularly Green and Burke.. they are very similar players.  

As long as Stevenson is out, we gotta consider a small ball lineup with Kavas at the 5 when Yvan is on the bench.  If Cross isn't quite ready to knock down threes and stretch driving lanes for our guards, Kavas might be our best option there while Cross develops and we await Stevenson's return.

Also, is it just me, or can Cam get a layup any time he wants?  Just make the damn thing, kid.  

Couple thoughts:

-  I don't have any expectation Easley will see any sort of significant minutes this year. Did you mean Curtis? He needs to play more than the nine minutes he got last night.

- Cross was all sorts of lost last night. If that trend continues, he's gonna get a lot of mental reps during games.

- Cam seemed to be able to get to the rim regularly, but if he can't finish, then no, he can't get a layup whenever he wants. My guess is it's just an adjustment to the step up in competition.

Stevenson needs to be available almost immediately if NU wants to be able to have more than *1* big dude on the roster (Yvan) as the rest of the roster is more on the slight side, sans Cross, but he seemed 'out of it' last night, anyway. Only time will tell if the NCAA has any urgency....

Edited by AuroranHusker

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Couple thoughts:

-  I don't have any expectation Easley will see any sort of significant minutes this year. Did you mean Curtis? He needs to play more than the nine minutes he got last night.

- Cross was all sorts of lost last night. If that trend continues, he's gonna get a lot of mental reps during games.

- Cam seemed to be able to get to the rim regularly, but if he can't finish, then no, he can't get a layup whenever he wants. My guess is it's just an adjustment to the step up in competition.

I like Easley and Curtis a lot, and I honestly haven't seen anything between their games that separates them much in terms of overall value.  Easley is a gamer, not a liability in athleticism, and can shoot the rock.  Curtis is turnover prone, but I like him at the 2 as a scorer, and we are logjammed with isolation scorers at the 2.  I like Easley at point until we recruit a true backup PG.  When I say Easley as backup PG, I'm talking like 10 minutes a game because Cam is going to have to be out there constantly for us to have a prayer most nights.  

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

After these last 2 games, I think it's pretty clear Jervay is the backup at point.

Don't know who's minutes get adjusted to get Shamiel in the game, but Kavas doesn't start anyway.

This is all yet to be seen. We're going to have to watch at least a couple more games to get a sense of this group. Hopefully the shooting last night was just a one-off event.

I hope that was an anomaly as well, but I didn't like what I saw from the shooting guards when the heat came on.  I've gotta think Shamiel's minutes puts either Green or Burke as a spark off the bench, and I would welcome that immensely.  I like a Cheatham/Thor rotation at the 3.  I just didn't realize how much Shamiel's lack of waiver was going to hurt our rotation options.  

If last night is any indication, Hoiberg seems to trust Jervay more than Burke right now. Jervay was in foul trouble, but still tied Cam for most minutes played with 32. Burke didn’t have any fouls, but played 23 minutes. Dachon’s ball handling concerns me a bit after watching the exhibition and last night’s game. The ball gets away from his body a bit too much for my liking. I’m hoping that’s just due to him being a little too anxious and out of control since he hasn’t played in so long. 

4 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

If last night is any indication, Hoiberg seems to trust Jervay more than Burke right now. Jervay was in foul trouble, but still tied Cam for most minutes played with 32. Burke didn’t have any fouls, but played 23 minutes. Dachon’s ball handling concerns me a bit after watching the exhibition and last night’s game. The ball gets away from his body a bit too much for my liking. I’m hoping that’s just due to him being a little too anxious and out of control since he hasn’t played in so long. 

To me Green is a lot more careless with the ball than Burke.

I was so shell shocked last night I didn't realize that Green fouled out.

That was ugly, but just like football, I will trust the process. It appeared UCR recognized that we had an advantage with guys who could take defenders off the dribble and decided to place their 5 man in the lane to challenge dribble penetration.  We never made that guy leave the lane. They opted not to guard our 5 man out on the floor (hence the open looks for Cross). Hoiberg countered with putting Kavas at the 5, but even when we did get in the lane, we'd miss chippies or throw it away. It will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments Hoiberg will make, but hitting open shots would cure many of those ills. We also need to do a better job of stopping dribble penetration. Interested to see how we respond on Saturday.  

3 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

That was ugly, but just like football, I will trust the process. It appeared UCR recognized that we had an advantage with guys who could take defenders off the dribble and decided to place their 5 man in the lane to challenge dribble penetration.  We never made that guy leave the lane. They opted not to guard our 5 man out on the floor (hence the open looks for Cross). Hoiberg countered with putting Kavas at the 5, but even when we did get in the lane, we'd miss chippies or throw it away. It will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments Hoiberg will make, but hitting open shots would cure many of those ills. We also need to do a better job of stopping dribble penetration. Interested to see how we respond on Saturday.  

Really?  I must’ve missed when Kavas was at the 5 in place of Cross.  If that happened I stand corrected but genuinely don’t remember it happening.