uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 1 - vs. UC Riverside

HuskerFever

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

In the pantheon of Incarnate Word, UMBC, Gardner Webb & Samford, where does this one rank? Factoring in new roster, 1st game, point spread etc, this one is hard to NOT put at the top... Hopefully this list/debate won’t be a running theme.

How dare you not mention Sam Houston State?!?!?

Just now, Handy Johnson said:

In the pantheon of Incarnate Word, UMBC, Gardner Webb & Samford, where does this one rank? Factoring in new roster, 1st game, point spread etc, this one is hard to NOT put at the top... Hopefully this list/debate won’t be a running theme.

The Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks

35 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

They said on the radio it was our first opening loss since Moe Iba 1980 vs Wyoming. At least that’s a school I’ve heard of and they MIGHT have had Fennis Dembo...

I saw something later that said we lost to Texas Tech in 1983 as well.

41 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

It was the least amount of points any Hoiberg coached team has ever scored. So that's nice. 

26 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

It was the least amount of points any Hoiberg coached team has ever scored. So that's nice. 

That’s saying a lot, and since Fred was involved with Timberwolves ( one of the worst franchises in professional sports history) he knows what BAD Basketball looks like when he sees it...

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Sorry, @uneblinstu, just had to get this up and running before HHC burned down.

The only thing I've got to say about this game/season:

giphy.gif

Keep your heads up. Brush it off. And see you all next game.

Thanks. Wasn't able to get to this last night.

Last night was pretty unsettling. I don't think I expected things to feel the way they did. My wife and I were sitting at the game and commenting about how strange it was watching such a new product. The arena was the same. The jerseys were the same. The on the court issues we've seen year after year were the same. The people we were sitting around were the same, but nothing else was. I've never experienced a new season where almost every single player was new. We all have to relearn every single thing. I wasn't mentally prepared for that when I walked into PBA last night. I'm sure we'll get to the point where I'm comfortable with things again, but last night wasn't it...

Edited by uneblinstu

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I think there's some recency bias here. We'll see how things turn out as more of the season shakes out.

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Thanks. Wasn't able to get to this last night.

Last night was pretty unsettling. I don't think I expected things to feel the way they did. My wife and I were sitting at the game and commenting about how strange it was watching such a new product. The arena was the same. The jerseys were the same. The on the court system was the same. The people we were sitting around were the same, but nothing else was. I've never experienced a new season where almost every single player was new. We all have to relearn every single thing. I wasn't mentally prepared for that when I walked into PBA last night. I'm sure we'll get to the point where I'm comfortable with things again, but last night wasn't it...

This is literally — other than the uniforms, Thor and PBA, as you noted — like starting a basketball program from scratch. Losing by 19 to UCR is shocking, but the reality is we're at Step 1 of a 100-step process. Let's let it play out.

When I read Doc’s tweet yesterday, I took at as his way of saying, “We’re gonna be terrible this year.”  That was probably one of the worst performances we’ve seen in recent Nebrasketball history, but it’s not all as bad as it seems. Fred’s first season in Ames was rough. They lost 10 in a row at one point and got absolutely blown out a handful of times. 

We have 3 guys sitting on the bench who would make this team look a lot better. Walker would definitely be our starting big man. And the team just looked different when Dalano and Shamiel were on the floor in Italy. All three of these guys have played for some fantastic coaches at their previous stops and, while they’re not close to being finished products, they’re undoubtedly more polished than most of the other guys. I saw some bad habits from the three freshman and two juco transfers last night that will get worked out over time. As Doc said, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

5 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

When I read Doc’s tweet yesterday, I took at as his way of saying, “We’re gonna be terrible this year.”  That was probably one of the worst performances we’ve seen in recent Nebrasketball history, but it’s not all as bad as it seems. Fred’s first season in Ames was rough. They lost 10 in a row at one point and got absolutely blown out a handful of times. 

We have 3 guys sitting on the bench who would make this team look a lot better. Walker would definitely be our starting big man. And the team just looked different when Dalano and Shamiel were on the floor in Italy. All three of these guys have played for some fantastic coaches at their previous stops and, while they’re not close to being finished products, they’re undoubtedly more polished than most of the other guys. I saw some bad habits from the three freshman and two juco transfers last night that will get worked out over time. As Doc said, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

While this is may be true...I hate the narrative of "this team would be different if (insert transfer or recruit) was on the team". Literally every team has transfers or new recruits coming in that they know can make their team better. We're not the only ones. I can forgive losing. I can even forgive losing consistently while HCFH builds this thing. But to lose like that last night was pretty pathetic. 

1 minute ago, OmahaHusker said:

While this is may be true...I hate the narrative of "this team would be different if (insert transfer or recruit) was on the team". Literally every team has transfers or new recruits coming in that they know can make their team better. We're not the only ones. I can forgive losing. I can even forgive losing consistently while HCFH builds this thing. But to lose like that last night was pretty pathetic. 

It was brutal. Hopefully it’s the worst we play all season. 

Back in 2010-11 I’m guessing some Iowa State fans were saying the same thing about their 30 point losses, and maybe some other fans were just imagining what their team would look like if Royce White, Chris Babb and Chris Allen were eligible. 

5 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Fred and co had to build a boat in a month and hope it floats. Turns out it has a ton of holes. It sucks but the reality is turning over an entire roster and building a new one in a short amount of time, this is the risk you take. I hate PJ Fleck but I’ll steal his phrase, this year is truly year 0.

4 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

It was brutal. Hopefully it’s the worst we play all season. 

Back in 2010-11 I’m guessing some Iowa State fans were saying the same thing about their 30 point losses, and maybe some other fans were just imagining what their team would look like if Royce White, Chris Babb and Chris Allen were eligible. 

True, but at least their 20-30 point losses were to Big 12 teams. Looking at their 2010-2011 schedule they actually were in most of their games minus like 4 (Mizzou, Colorado, Texas, Kansas). We're getting down to technicalities here, but I'd understand blowout losses to teams like that, not to teams where we're 16 point favorites at home. His first team at ISU went 13-2 in non-con and beat most of the teams they should've.