UC Riverside (0-0) vs. Nebraska (0-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, B1G Red said:

From time to time I check out a few other message boards for the other sports teams I follow, and I’ve always felt the regular posters on this board were by far and away the most thoughtful, reasonable, and patient. Refreshing to say the least. Always can count on coming here for good, respectful discussion and usually learn something from many  posters on here who clearly have a higher basketball IQ than I. But tonight, I gotta say, I’m a bit disappointed with the lack of perspective. Can’t believe it’s too common to have a new coach, staff, and damn near all new players in a new system all in one year.  Add to that an opposing team that couldn’t miss from deep behind the arc.  Let’s at least wait until January before we start spreading the doom and gloom. 

I could take the “wait till January” approach if it was after GTech or Creighton.  I’d try to be reasonable if we lost to those two.. hell even to Wash St in our first game away from home.

This was UC Riverside.  This was doom and gloom.  I expect things to get better.  But there’s no sugar coating this loss for me personally.  This was a major clunker.

5 minutes ago, B1G Red said:

From time to time I check out a few other message boards for the other sports teams I follow, and I’ve always felt the regular posters on this board were by far and away the most thoughtful, reasonable, and patient. Refreshing to say the least. Always can count on coming here for good, respectful discussion and usually learn something from many  posters on here who clearly have a higher basketball IQ than I. But tonight, I gotta say, I’m a bit disappointed with the lack of perspective. Can’t believe it’s too common to have a new coach, staff, and damn near all new players in a new system all in one year.  Add to that an opposing team that couldn’t miss from deep behind the arc.  Let’s at least wait until January before we start spreading the doom and gloom. 

It's gallows humor, the opposite of doom and gloom.

Peace be with you, Big Red brother.

13 minutes ago, B1G Red said:

To be fair this is a game thread. If you ask many of us, im sure we are still optimistic that we will improve drastically over the course of this season and that Hoiberg will do great things here. But this game, no matter how optimistic or pessimistic one tends to be, was pathetic. 

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

On the bright side, the whole strategy of "slow the game down by running the shot clock down to the end on every possession before chucking up a 3" was vindicated tonight. On the other hand, they didn't run any weave, so ...

i wouldn't say that just yet. we had one of the worst shooting performances i've ever seen (after the first 8 minutes), but that doesn't mean we will shoot this bad the next game.

Edited by FredsSlacks

I don’t think anyone who wants to keep things in perspective is saying this wasn’t a very frustrating game or a “clunker” if you will.  There’s a lot of issues with this team but ultimately if they could’ve made some lay ups and free throws throughout the game I don’t know if they lose that initial lead or at least stay close enough to be in the game at the end.

This looked exactly like what Hoiberg explained was his worry in the preseason. When adversity hit the team sort of unraveled. That’s what happens when there’s s bunch of new guys trying to play together and there’s no clear leadership on the the court.

This game sucked for sure and the point differential was shocking, but I think the issues as to why it happened are not surprising and can be worked on through this season.