UC Riverside (0-0) vs. Nebraska (0-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

This is bad.  There’s “Rome wasn’t built in a day” games out there... but this shouldn’t ya be been one for us.

How do you attract top talent by losing to UC Riverside by nearly 20?  Only reason Riverside doesn’t have more is because they take nearly the full shot clock to shoot it.

This is bad.

One of those games where so much--nearly everything--was wrong it's hard to get too much useful from it. They will have to greatly improve on defense if they want to be even remotely competitive this year. 

This has been the reality that has slapped our last 3 coaches in the face: everyone wants to run and score, but without the personnel to do that and playing in one of the premier leagues in the country, you ultimately have to retreat into the great equalizer: good defense. 

And that changes your team's identity. 

A conundrum. 

I dont even blame the early leavers tonight... I've committed to staying all through every game I go to this year... but so many moments had me wanting to just leave tonight. Hopefully that was peak ugly, because this was intensely horrible on so many levels. they destroyed us and it kinda came out of nowhere. Shocked to say by KP might've put us too high at 96 (last in B1G). We look more like 150 - 180, though I know were better than this. 

1 minute ago, B1G Red said:

Really loving how quick and athletic our new guys look. I know the shots were not dropping tonight, but everything seemed strong and long which hopefully was just tightness due to the circumstances. Let’s hope they show incremental improvement and peak by the end of the year.

About the best take one can get from this mess. I'm more worried about where this team's collective head is at. They're going to need to get a whole lot tougher than this to play in the B1G if they want to avoid a goose egg. 

Let's look on the bright side.  We weren't going to make the postseason this year anyway, so this loss doesn't really hurt us.  But it will drag our RPI down into the gutter, meaning when we upset Creighton and Iowa later in the year it will count as a "bad loss" for them and keep them home in March, too!

Just now, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

I dont even blame the early leavers tonight... I've committed to staying all through every game I go to this year... but so many moments had me wanting to just leave tonight. Hopefully that was peak ugly, because this was intensely horrible on so many levels. they destroyed us and it kinda came out of nowhere. Shocked to say by KP might've put us too high at 96 (last in B1G). We look more like 150 - 180, though I know were better than this. 

Fans shouldn’t be expected to sit through a crap performance like that. That was as ugly of a performance as you could ever imagine. 

I’m stunned it was this bad. We couldn’t shoot from anywhere on the court. Literally anywhere. There wasn’t a single player on the court who I thought played well or looked good. Yikes.