Tim Miles has a new gig!

49r

43 minutes ago, 49r said:

One thing Tim Miles never did was lose season opening games against KenPom 200+ teams (Hoiberg has done that 2 out of 3 years...one of those years assembling a roster of the highest-ranked recruits we've seen around here in at least 20 years).

In fact, during his tenure Coach Miles averaged more Big Ten conference wins (7.4) each year than Hoiberg has against the full schedule (7)

But sure...it's recruiting that was the problem.

I just reread my post and don’t see Hoiberg mentioned anywhere. I did not compare the two. 

Hoiberg could lose his remaining game at Nebraska and I’m not sure what that has to do with Miles recruiting tanking at the end of his tenure. 

But hey, if you think Miles was on the right track with Jervay Green(NAIA player) Amir Harris(avg 0.6 pts

this year) Mika Woods(shooting 29% this year) Brady Heiman (S Dakota bust) and Akol Arop(playing 11 minutes for Kenpom #326) more power to you. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

I'm pretty confident Tim Miles would have managed to beat Western Illinois with that group.  But apparently you aren't willing to acknowledge the flaw in your own argument by assuming those would be the only guys Tim would have recruited...or that they would even still be on the team at this point.

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

I'm pretty confident Tim Miles would have managed to beat Western Illinois with that group.  But apparently you aren't willing to acknowledge the flaw in your own argument by assuming those would be the only guys Tim would have recruited...or that they would even still be on the team at this point.

To play devil’s advocate, Miles lost to Gardner-Webb with 5 former Rivals150 players (6 were on the roster, but Palmer was redshirting) plus Tai Webster. He also lost to Incarnate Word with a team that went to the NCAA tournament the year prior and was nationally ranked preseason. Then lost to Samford the year after that. He also lost to Kent State and UTEP. And had countless barn burners against low to mid-major teams. I wasn’t confidant going into any non-conference game during Miles’ tenure until his very last team (which on paper had just as much talent as this year’s team according to the recruiting rankings you referred to earlier).

1 hour ago, 49r said:

wow! I like coach Miles and will not say anything bad about him at all but you are forgetting a lot of games we lost to lesser opponents.

Not to distract here, but it seems the original implication was Miles' recruiting.  Looking at the Huskers in the Pros list that was just posted in another thread, I count something like 15 (of the 24 listed) that played for Tim Miles.  Sure, he didn't recruit 'em all, but most of them.  Wasn't he reportedly 'in' with several local players that went elsewhere after he was let go?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

He may have, but again…I’m not comparing Hoiberg vs Miles. The Hoiberg ERA obviously hasn’t gone as planned thus far. 

Im sure there were more guys in the fold at the time for Miles. I really don’t remember.  In my opinion we did not have a good core for the future and the players/recruits we did have, have not proven to be high major players. 

But, I think Miles knew he was out that last year. Either win with the senior team he had and land another P5 job or falter and be fired.  

13 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

“The Truth HURTS, that’s why people can’t handle the truth” … - Randy Moss 

This thread currently has nothing to do with the truth. 

It’s people trying to get attention for announcing they have (i.e. may not have) information about a former coach, which has turned into people defending or shitting on said former coach. 

There is no truth here. Sorry, Randy. 

Edited by atskooc

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

This thread currently has nothing to do with the truth. 

It’s people trying to get attention for announcing they have (i.e. may not have) information about a former coach, which has turned into people defending or shitting on said former coach. 

There is no truth here. Sorry, Randy. 

I’m NOT laughing at you, I’m only laughing near you…

12 hours ago, 49r said:

Exactly.  Eichorst completely screwed Tim over.  He was a dead man walking for the last three years of his tenure.  Of course recruiting was going to take a hit.

I'm going to put more on Moos.  Miles didn't give Eichorst much chance to have faith in him.  He went 13 - 18, 16 - 18, and 12 - 19 in his 3 years before Eichorst was fired.  I'm almost certain Moos was set to fire Miles, and then he goes 22 - 11, and 13-5.  You can't fire a coach after that record.  Not only that, but he probably should have received a 2 year extension.  This led to losing Kenya, which in turn led to losing Xavier Johnson.  If Johnson came here, maybe we withstand the blow of losing Copeland, and make it to the NCAA tournament run, and bring in a new core of solid recruits.

Having said all that, Hoiberg was a huge hire, given his Iowa State run.  I really don't fault Moos for that hire.  No one thought we would be in year 3, losing to 200 + Ken Pom teams, or taken to the wire against some 200 + teams.

20 hours ago, 49r said:

One thing Tim Miles never did was lose season opening games against KenPom 200+ teams (Hoiberg has done that 2 out of 3 years...one of those years assembling a roster of the highest-ranked recruits we've seen around here in at least 20 years).

In fact, during his tenure Coach Miles averaged more Big Ten conference wins (7.4) each year than Hoiberg has against the full schedule (7)

But sure...it's recruiting that was the problem.

Ahhh oddly specific stats to put lipstick on a pig. Home losses to Samford, Gardner Webb, and Incarnate Word on the resume, but at least they weren't the season opener! Tim Miles talk is going to turn into the hoops equivalent of "We never should've fired Bo!" isn't it... 

Edited by Cowboy Kermit

5 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Ahhh oddly specific stats to put lipstick on a pig. Home losses to Samford, Gardner Webb, and Incarnate Word on the resume, but at least they weren't the season opener! Tim Miles talk is going to turn into the hoops equivalent of "We never should've fired Bo!" isn't it... 

Hmmm, now that you brought it up... 

Multiple things can be true at once.

Tim Miles was coaching for his life the last few years he was here.  That shouldn’t be any secret to anyone now and also was probably no secret to him.  The lack of support from the administration was pretty obvious if you looked hard enough.  Even if he did win his last year here, his recruiting class coming in was going to make it a struggle to keep the momentum going.  I believe he was a dead man walking, he was trying to recruit with a hand tied behind his back, and it was going to be tough to overcome.  I was a huge Tim Miles supporter and wouldn’t have minded keeping him.  He did things that I’ve never seen done at Nebraska... including making the dance.  

With that being said, we had Fred in our pocket a lot earlier than we probably know.  Heck, you had some random message board poster in January of Tim’s last year saying so.  Knowing that, outside of another NCAA run and possibly even needing a win in the dance, you have to make the move to hire Fred.  That is a huge hire!  The trickle down effect from coach to players to recruits had to be tough on the Miles side.  Knowing you HAD to win.  But everyone, even myself (a huge Tim fan) was thrilled with the Fred hire.  I completely understand the move to hire him.  The boat just hasn’t gotten going yet and it’s been a little disappointing.

Tim may have deserved more time here, his last recruiting class coming in wasn’t going to move the needle, Fred was a must hire if we had him in our pockets, Tim did quite well with lesser players and identifying diamonds in the rough, Fred hasn’t done very well with arguably our best team on paper (so far— long season left), Tim’s last class was going to struggle to keep the momentum going, Fred can still get it done here and momentum isn’t lost, all is not lost (even for this year).

Multiple things can be true at once.  I don’t think we need to choose sides here.. so to speak.

GBR and beat fricking Iowa!

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

The boat just hasn’t gotten going yet and it’s been a little disappointing.

About that.

I was thinking this morning about the job Hoiberg has done in his first three years and compared it to some others.

Rick Pitino took Iona to the dance in his first year and in year two he's 6-0 with a win over top 10 ranked Alabama

Ben Johnson in his first year at Minnesota is 5-0

TJ Otzelberger is 5-0 in his first year at Iowa State with a win over Xavier (who beat Ohio State earlier this season)

Wes Miller is 5-1 in his first year at Cincinnati with a win over top 10 (5??) Illinois

Craig Smith is 5-0 in his first year at Utah

Porter Moser is 5-1 in his first year at Oklahoma

It's feasible to think that every one of those first year (and second year in the case of Pitino) will equal Hoiberg's first two years' win totals by the end of November.  I would also expect most if not all of those coaches to make the dance in their first year.

38 minutes ago, 49r said:

About that.

I was thinking this morning about the job Hoiberg has done in his first three years and compared it to some others.

Rick Pitino took Iona to the dance in his first year and in year two he's 6-0 with a win over top 10 ranked Alabama

Ben Johnson in his first year at Minnesota is 5-0

TJ Otzelberger is 5-0 in his first year at Iowa State with a win over Xavier (who beat Ohio State earlier this season)

Wes Miller is 5-1 in his first year at Cincinnati with a win over top 10 (5??) Illinois

Craig Smith is 5-0 in his first year at Utah

Porter Moser is 5-1 in his first year at Oklahoma

It's feasible to think that every one of those first year (and second year in the case of Pitino) will equal Hoiberg's first two years' win totals by the end of November.  I would also expect most if not all of those coaches to make the dance in their first year.

This is such a gross overreactionary attempt at a take. Look at who those teams have played, and remember that your record in November is just fodder for the slapdicks like Jon Rothstein of the world to write "who won the offseason coaching carousel" articles for clicks. It's November for god's sake. 3 of the teams you listed even remotely have tournament aspirations, let alone chances. 

8 hours ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

This is such a gross overreactionary attempt at a take. Look at who those teams have played, and remember that your record in November is just fodder for the slapdicks like Jon Rothstein of the world to write "who won the offseason coaching carousel" articles for clicks. It's November for god's sake. 3 of the teams you listed even remotely have tournament aspirations, let alone chances. 

Oh they all aspire to make the dance.  Admittedly Minnesota and Iowa State will need some more things to go their way to get there, but that's still 4 of 6 that have legit NCAA Tournament teams right now, and that is as I said "most".  With luck all 6 will get there.