Tim Miles has a new gig!

49r

36 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

"What we didn't have at Nebraska was enough three-point shooting. And that is so vital to the game today; the three-point shot and defending the three-point shot is crucial. ... it's something you certainly have to understand and recruit to also. ... Some of those role guys that you used to have who could be defensive stoppers, quite frankly it's hard for them to have an important role unless they can make outside shots. They have to be an offensively efficient person; they have to make those threes."

SJSU winning conference basketball seasons:

• 1993-94
  • 1986-87
  • 1984-85
  • 1980-81
  • 1979-80
  • 1976-77
  • 1968-69
  • 1967-68
  • 1964-65
  • 1955-56
  • 1954-55

That's it since the Spartans joined the Division I ranks in 1952. That's 68 seasons, 11 winning conference records, zero conference records in the past 27 years. 

Good luck, coach Miles.

8 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

Just an observation but this board really loves it some Tim Miles.

The list of former Nebraska head coaches and assistant coaches that are disliked is shorter than a Burno.

Life is too short to wish any bad will to a former coach. I wish Miles, Smith, Lutz, Farokhmanesh, Nee, etc. all the best. Except for Collier. ;)

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It's the MWC. He can recruit the guys in the midwest we won't offer + transfers for days

well, there's always players to go to any Div 1 school. Question is, will it be enough to build a contending program in the MWC? And will he be able to jump back into his old CSU footprint? 

20 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Just an observation but this board really loves it some Tim Miles.

He really should have been the guy. I mean really should have. He was built to be our coach. He was everything quirky about Doc and Nebraska - but new age and innovative in a way. Younger, nerdy, quote machine, etc... brought the energy, the hype, and the dudes every once in a while. 

However, I can tell you all his public persona was not always the same as it was behind closed doors, in the coaches offices, or in practice. Things got toxic after some cracks in that persona started to show. 

But the idea from the beginning was perfect. And yeah, I loved the guy. Really thought he was the one 😍🥰

Edited by basketballjones

I believe Tim Miles was a Great Hire for Nebraska; but then again I wouldn't know since I only really began paying attention to the MBB program after he was hired as HC. 

Miles brought a sense of excitement, i.e. a new beginning, to the program; Right from the Start.  He didn't denigrate the players he had inherited, rather he made the most of, and got the most out of the players he had.  He made household names (in Nebraska at least), of Kye, Peltz, & Menke (not to mention names like Ubel, Almeida, Gallegos & Talley, but they were already household names.)

I don't know where he found the talent he did, Nebraska certainly wasn't on the radar of many high-level recruits.  Yet he Did Find them, and gave us a lot names that provided us with a lot of excitement; names like Petteway, Tai, Shavon, Benny, Roby, among so many others.  Who can forget the sinking feeling when the Huskers dropped their first four matches in the B1G in successive games in 2012/13; only to finish 11-7 in the conference, and reach the NCAAs.

Miles inaugurated PBA for us; We've consistently had some of the highest attendance records in the B1G.  Who could ever forget 'No Sit Sunday?'    MIles helped position us for a great future; with a High-Visibility, Name, Coach who is able to attract Top Level Recruits to the program

Tim Miles will fit in just fine at San Jose State; I wish him the same degree of success that he had at Nebraska!  :Bow:

Edited by Red Don

37 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

He really should have been the guy. I mean really should have. He was built to be our coach. He was everything quirky about Doc and Nebraska - but new age and innovative in a way. Younger, nerdy, quote machine, etc... brought the energy, the hype, and the dudes every once in a while. 

He made some choices off the court that damaged everything, but we don't discuss that here. Also, I can tell you all his public persona was not always the same as it was behind closed doors, in the coaches offices, or in practice. Things got toxic after some cracks in that persona started to show. 

But the idea from the beginning was perfect. And yeah, I loved the guy. Really thought he was the one 😍🥰

Okay. I'll ask. What are the choices he made off the court that damaged everything? I loved Tim from what I saw and wish he could've done big things, but now you've piqued my curiosity. 

Good luck coach Miles!  You were fun to root for as a Husker coach, and will be again at San Jose State.  You gave us a month+ of great basketball in 2014.  2017, beat Kansas or maybe Creighton in non-con, and we're probably dancing again in 2018.  I wish you would have been able to build on that success but it wasn't to be.

23 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

The list of former Nebraska head coaches and assistant coaches that are disliked is shorter than a Burno.

Life is too short to wish any bad will to a former coach. I wish Miles, Smith, Lutz, Farokhmanesh, Nee, etc. all the best. Except for Collier. ;)

Why do Husker fans dislike Collier? Honestly curious. I went to two of his camps and he was as soft spoken and gracious as could be. Of all the Husker coaches in my lifetime, I always thought Doc and Barry were the most genuine. 

On 4/8/2021 at 11:14 AM, HuskerFever said:

"What we didn't have at Nebraska was enough three-point shooting. And that is so vital to the game today; the three-point shot and defending the three-point shot is crucial. ... it's something you certainly have to understand and recruit to also. ... Some of those role guys that you used to have who could be defensive stoppers, quite frankly it's hard for them to have an important role unless they can make outside shots. They have to be an offensively efficient person; they have to make those threes."

If he'd said that 5 years ago, he might still be our coach.

12 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Why do Husker fans dislike Collier? Honestly curious. I went to two of his camps and he was as soft spoken and gracious as could be. Of all the Husker coaches in my lifetime, I always thought Doc and Barry were the most genuine. 

Not sure. I think he may have come across as standoffish or aloof and didn't seem all that personable, but I didn't ever meet the guy in person. I personally liked the hire at the time and truly thought he would get it done at NU.

10 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

Not sure. I think he may have come across as standoffish or aloof and didn't seem all that personable, but I didn't ever meet the guy in person. I personally liked the hire at the time and truly thought he would get it done at NU.

He seemed to be a quiet, confident guy. But I think it was all genuine.  Tim Miles knows people like his self-deprecating, goofy shtick, but I've heard enough about him to know that his public persona is not genuine. Interesting what people are drawn towards. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

He seemed to be a quiet, confident guy. But I think it was all genuine.  Tim Miles knows people like his self-deprecating, goofy shtick, but I've heard enough about him to know that his public persona is not genuine. Interesting what people are drawn towards. 

That's not fair.  I know him, have spent plenty of time with him, and his public persona is quite genuine.  Doesn't mean a guy like that can't coach his guys hard, which he could.   But he's no phony.   

8 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Agreed on the "genuine" dudes being Barry Collier and Doc Sadler. It seemed like a punch to the gut when Doc was canned, and it surely gutted Doc based on his own reaction.

I always felt like Timmy was a caricature of a cool coach, just not sure he had all the innate intangibles to be what NU needed. Hopefully Freddy has the right mix going forward with Loenser in his corner now as Doc is sliding into the Bobby Lutz role.

Edited by AuroranHusker