HHCC Game #01 - vs. UC Riverside (Nov. 5, 8:00 PM CST)

HuskerFever

I stopped doing the HHCC contest because I'd forget to pick a score some game and it would knock me out of the running and then I'd be all pissed about it.

That said, I'm going to make a prediction about the season win-loss record because I'm usually accused (and guilty) of being a sunshine pumper but I look at some of these win predictions in this thread and find myself scratching my head. I get told I do it every year -- pump things up and make it seem like we'll go undefeated.  I've pumped things up this year as well, but just want to go on record that, while I'm excited about what we're going to see from Hoiberg's team, I don't have any misapprehension about us being a top shelf Big Ten team.  I mean, we're not. And we won't be.

I think we'll have a very good back court, but I think we'll struggle in conference games and it'd be a pretty good accomplishment for us to win more than about 3-4 conference games. So, I'm thinking 7-8 non-con wins and another 3-4, maybe 5, conference wins.

I'm going to say 12 total wins and I'll be satisfied. More than that and I'm happy.

16 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I stopped doing the HHCC contest because I'd forget to pick a score some game and it would knock me out of the running and then I'd be all pissed about it.

That said, I'm going to make a prediction about the season win-loss record because I'm usually accused (and guilty) of being a sunshine pumper but I look at some of these win predictions in this thread and find myself scratching my head. I get told I do it every year -- pump things up and make it seem like we'll go undefeated.  I've pumped things up this year as well, but just want to go on record that, while I'm excited about what we're going to see from Hoiberg's team, I don't have any misapprehension about us being a top shelf Big Ten team.  I mean, we're not. And we won't be.

I think we'll have a very good back court, but I think we'll struggle in conference games and it'd be a pretty good accomplishment for us to win more than about 3-4 conference games. So, I'm thinking 7-8 non-con wins and another 3-4, maybe 5, conference wins.

I'm going to say 12 total wins and I'll be satisfied. More than that and I'm happy.

My mantra (for sake of my sanity) has become with Husker sports, to set the bar low and avoid disappointment. imo we already as a fanbase have CRAZY high expectations(Nebrasketball fans are better), for little reason. I'm trying to be more level headed and I think I'm much better than I once was. Cheers on putting your foot in for HHCC a bit this year. I usually miss a good handful and I wouldn't worry about missing them yourself, just do what you can. I agree on the numbers. I had 5 non con wins, and total wins at 14 but only inflated because of some winnable games in cayman classic. I look forward to see how good (or bad as usual) the team is away from home. We might be amazing at home, but might take a few years to get there.

Of the 56 who have voted so far, the most common total predicted is 15 (16 entrants) with a high of 18 and a low of 11. I suppose this establishes me as a SUNSHINE PUMPER this year, but before the season starts, why not? For a group of BB enthusiasts, this seems a bit on the pessimistic side for this point in the year. I wonder if the dismal way the football expectations have been dashed had any dampening effect upon roundball expectations? At any rate,  I'm sure there will be more entries here, so perhaps someone will want to become the ultimate optimist and go for 19 or 20 or perhaps one of our favorite trolls will want to opt for a 4 or 5 prediction. Anyway, I am ready for the curtain to open (and don't forget KU-Duke and Mich St.-Kentucky will also start). Cheers-Jimmy ( a former winner in this competition)