2019-20 prognostication...

whoopdeedoo

1.   Maryland          enuff said lose a little depth with Zoe Young out for the season

2.   MSU                  expect Colley to be more consistent, very good experience return (McCutcheon, Gaines, Cook-not the one that transferred)

3.   Indiana              if Patberg stays healthy, can see her carrying them a long way

4.   OSU                   with the incoming talent, wouldn't shock me if they are playing some of the best bb in the BT near the end.

5.   Purdue              Harris and McLaughlin should be a handful

6.   Minn                  offense should be there. could see them struggle with athletic teams with some length. will try and run. tough to beat at Williams.

7.   Nebraska          experienced. if neb develops that consistent off threat (Brown? Haiby? Whitish?) could move up a spot or two.

8.   Mich                   will be interesting to see how Hillmon does without Thome. many have them higher, but, i could see them being a little down. Dilk and Hillmon will give them opportunity    

though.

9.   Rutgers             expect to hound on def and run, will they have the offensive power?

10.   NW                     return all but one (a big one) could easily see them move up a couple spots.

11.  Iowa                   life without Stewart and Gustafson. not sure Doyle and a couple others can move them much farther up, if at all.

12.  Penn St             new coach Kieger(sp?) is good. Green is out with acl. possible Kieger may get a little more out of the squad.

13.  Illinois                might be a little better than past couple years, but, talent isn't there to move up much.

14.  Wisc                   if coach gets some production out of freshman, could see them move up a few spots.

i really expect that 7-14 could go so many different ways. going to be interesting. probably could add purdue and minny into the fray.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1.   Maryland          enuff said lose a little depth with Zoe Young out for the season
 2.   MSU                  expect Colley to be more consistent, very good experience return (McCutcheon, Gaines, Cook-not the one that transferred)
 3.   Indiana              if Patberg stays healthy, can see her carrying them a long way
 4.   OSU                   with the incoming talent, wouldn't shock me if they are playing some of the best bb in the BT near the end.
 5.   Purdue              Harris and McLaughlin should be a handful
 6.   Minn                  offense should be there. could see them struggle with athletic teams with some length. will try and run. tough to beat at Williams.
 7.   Nebraska          experienced. if neb develops that consistent off threat (Brown? Haiby? Whitish?) could move up a spot or two.
 8.   Rutgers             expect to hound on def and run, will they have the offensive power?
 9.   NW                     return all but one (a big one) could easily see them move up a couple spots.
10.  Iowa                   life without Stewart. not sure Doyle and a couple others can move them much farther up, if at all.
11.  Penn St             new coach Kieger(sp?) is good. Green is out with acl. possible Kieger may get a little more out of the squad.
12.  Illinois                might be a little better than past couple years, but, talent isn't there to move up much.
13.  Wisc                   if coach gets some production out of freshman, could see them move up a few spots.
Michigan?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Middle of pack is probably about right for the Lady Huskers. Finishing any lower would be a major reason for concern.  The league is improving.   You have to improve to challenge Maryland.
I'd like to see him a little bit higher in the pack but I guess that gives us room for improvement.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Might be about right to start out the season. ..mid pack.

Yes, we're a bit more experienced, but it's really more like maybe we should have been for a while... more experienced. Maybe we have been too inexperienced the last couple of years. Lots of freshman and sophomores.

Lost some players during the Connie breakup. Now starting to catch back up with graduation rates, and newbies coming in.....more equal. 

Anyway...basketball sort of comes down to rebounds, to a large extent..   Don't rebound well...don't win with regularity. Like some of the recent articles have said...haven't had a consistent rebounder like Cady for a while. She could rebound... but fouled out rarely....crafty and consistent.

Cain, Verbeek, Merschon,  Bourne, and friends could well be the difference makers this year.

Edited by redsteve

I am hopeful that we can have a really solid season. We need to stay healthy especially at the PG slot. Hopefully Hannah is back to full strength soon — that said we got progressively better as the season went on and kids normally make the biggest jump between freshman and sophomore years.   I expect huge improvement from Leah.  We need to rebound and defend better, and take care of the ball and possession better. That includes reducing turnovers but also reducing bad shots.    I am hoping the return bigs will greatly reduce their 3 point attempts.  Just because they can make them 25 percent of the time doesn’t mean it’s a good shot unless shot clock is going off.   I predict a 4-5th place big 10 finish and a spot n the NCAA tourney. Need to not lose more than 3 non conf games to get our swag back going into conf play.   The doom and gloomers on here need to remember we were n ncaa tourney  only 18 months ago 

Edited by kansashusker

On 10/29/2019 at 10:24 PM, HUD said:

Don't know what position we will end up in the standings but I think we will be the  biggest positive surprise in the Big Ten this year.  

All-Devaney_ph34r.png  Me Too!  

I think we under-performed last season, mostly because of lack of experience (there was only one Senior, Maddie Simon, on last years team), and some players weren't able to match priors years productivity, for whatever reason (or maybe other teams  just figured out how to defend us better).

This season we'll have Three Four Seniors (including Kristian Hudson who was granted another year of eligibility), and Two Juniors, along with the returning class of Four Freshmen, now seasoned Sophomores, and an incoming class of three well-regarded recruits (plus Grand Island walk-on Whitney Brown, oops, apparently a 2020 recruit). I think we are poised to over-achieve this season, improving on last years 14-16 record (9-9 in conference), and could even return to Post-Season play.

Edited by Red Don

4 hours ago, Red Don said:

I think we under-performed last season.

For whatever reason both Maddie and Hannah dropped a bit from their previous seasons performances.  I compare that to two players from Iowa that both took their level of play up a notch last year from the previous season.  Senior Hannah Stewart and Junior Kathleen Doyle played the same positions as Senior Maddie Simon and  Junior Hannah Whitish.  If we would have had similar improvements from our two players we would have won a lot more games.

4 hours ago, Red Don said:

This season we'll have Three Seniors

Don't forget about Grace Mitchell.  She may not play much but works hard and can provide leadership in other ways.

Edited by HUD
grammer

23 hours ago, HUD said:

Don't forget about Grace Mitchell.  She may not play much but works hard and can provide leadership in other ways.

So glad you pointed out that I had mis-counted, HUD (No excuse for mis-counting except old-age :wink:, but I have no idea which player I had missed :Redface:)

BTW, I don't see Whitney Brown's name on the roster yet.   (edit: apparently she's a 2020 recruit)

Edited by Red Don

On 10/29/2019 at 12:46 PM, Cazzie22 said:

Middle of pack is probably about right for the Lady Huskers. Finishing any lower would be a major reason for concern.  The league is improving.   You have to improve to challenge Maryland.

listened to 3 maryland bloggers do a podcast about this season. discussed maryland players, but, only talked about which teams will challenge maryland for a national championship this year. they believe it is all set up for them this season.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

On 10/30/2019 at 12:00 PM, HUD said:

For whatever reason both Maddie and Hannah dropped a bit from their previous seasons performances.  I compare that to two players from Iowa that both took their level of play up a notch last year from the previous season.  Senior Hannah Stewart and Junior Kathleen Doyle played the same positions as Senior Maddie Simon and  Junior Hannah Whitish.  If we would have had similar improvements from our two players we would have won a lot more games.

nice statement about Grace. so glad she stuck with the huskers. was taken back a bit when i saw she was starting against Rogers St, but, then got to thinking it could be her only chance. unless injury bug hits (knock on wood) she probably isn't going to see very many minutes this season. think starting Grace was great by coach williams.

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

nice statement about Grace. so glad she stuck with the huskers. was taken back a bit when i saw she was starting against Rogers St, but, then got to thinking it could be her only chance. unless injury bug hits (knock on wood) she probably isn't going to see very many minutes this season. think starting Grace was great by coach williams.

Saw the replays and Grace had real nice moves in space... into the basket.  Looked  good ! (Grace isn't a back to the basket player ...more of a forward skill set, but has been inside as needed last year..

The whole team looks more mature. But we'll see a good sample up close tomorrow, and the next couple of games. Like said here....a couple of days ago....getting the FEVER!

always been a fan of grace mitchell. mostly because i could see she was a fantastic teammate and showed leadership qualities even when she wasn't getting minutes (or many)---but, with verbeek, bourne, mershon, cain and other lineup options---i just think her minutes are probably limited. then again, who knows, maybe she proves me wrong!😉

Edited by whoopdeedoo

21 hours ago, huskerchode said:

The Golden Goophers lost to Missouri State at home.

yeah, read about that game. Bello got two quick fouls in the first quarter and did the same thing in the 3rd. that's something minny cannot afford to do. whalen has pretty much stated the same thing. Pitts got 18---won't surprise me if she challenges for top scorer in the league. while the lady bears are a formidable team, i'm just surprised minny lost this one at williams arena. i see the lady bears were 17-17 at the charity stripe----that's huge on the road.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:46 AM, whoopdeedoo said:

listened to 3 maryland bloggers do a podcast about this season. discussed maryland players, but, only talked about which teams will challenge maryland for a national championship this year. they believe it is all set up for them this season.

wow......james madison was ahead of maryland by 19 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. frese must have lit a fire under their butt at the quarter break because they ended up winning by 2 (70-68?). maybe south carolina (loss) upset hangover?