Women's College Basketball

Bugeaters1

55 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I'm over on the Minny message board and they are saying Pitts is suspended. for conduct detrimental to the team, and Bellos didn't travel with the team to Illinois.

yep, saw that. i always had questions about Pitts body language. wondered if it might come to a head sooner rather than later.

i don't think she played the last 7minutes+ against NW. got benched. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

8 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

yep, saw that. i always had questions about Pitts body language. wondered if it might come to a head sooner rather than later.

i don't think she played the last 7 minutes+ against NW. got benched. 

The Minny board was saying that Pitts & Whalen were jawing at each other.

12 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Indiana goes down and double overtime

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

was rather surprised because when i turned the channel back to football, indiana was pretty well under control. my, iowa is playing well at home. i never saw this coming. doyle is really having a nice senior year. iowa is a team that really plays together well and have that "chemistry". they just all seem to be on the same page. i thought they would finish in that 7-9 spot in the standings. now, they will most likely fight for that 3-4-5 spot. wow. gotta hand it to bluder----she has done a really nice job considering what they lost.

15 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I'm over on the Minny message board and they are saying Pitts is suspended. for conduct detrimental to the team, and Bellos didn't travel with the team to Illinois.

if reports are true, Bello's hadn't shown up for practice (also being reported as support for Pitts). will be interesting to see if Whalen can put the crumbling pieces back together. Bello's brother sent out a tweet stating something like you can't discipline a child you don't know. one of the Bello girls retweeted it. sounds like a hot mess right now.

13 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Indiana goes down and double overtime

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote:

"We are disappointed. It was a great game against two really good teams. (Iowa senior guard) Kathleen Doyle was superior tonight and we didn't have an answer for her. You can't really help off of her. If you bring secondary help, you are going to leave shooters open on the outside. They really challenge you off the bounce. We just didn't do a very good job. I thought Kathleen proved tonight that she is the leader of that basketball team. She is a veteran and is experienced. She basically willed them to a victory. We are disappointed, but we will have to go back and regroup and set our sights on a really good Northwestern team that is coming into the Hall on Thursday."

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

if reports are true, Bello's hadn't shown up for practice (also being reported as support for Pitts). will be interesting to see if Whalen can put the crumbling pieces back together. Bello's brother sent out a tweet stating something like you can't discipline a child you don't know. one of the Bello girls retweeted it. sounds like a hot mess right now.

Mentioned it before...but had teams in the past....rarely thankfully,....... but a player can be like poison to team chemistry. Bad attitude in general, or toward the coach or another player(s) just makes the whole experience awful. Your better off without them.  We've experienced this in the past, maybe to a lesser extent.

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Quote:

"We are disappointed. It was a great game against two really good teams. (Iowa senior guard) Kathleen Doyle was superior tonight and we didn't have an answer for her. You can't really help off of her. If you bring secondary help, you are going to leave shooters open on the outside. They really challenge you off the bounce. We just didn't do a very good job. I thought Kathleen proved tonight that she is the leader of that basketball team. She is a veteran and is experienced. She basically willed them to a victory. We are disappointed, but we will have to go back and regroup and set our sights on a really good Northwestern team that is coming into the Hall on Thursday."

Thanks Whoop!   I may have to go back and watch this!  (should be available on Fox Streaming (if it was on BTN) or BTN+ archive).

ya know, i might compare this to the same thing that coach frost has been going through. watched some of the highlights from the illinois game. the young players played pretty darn well. freshman scalia may be a diamond in the rough for the gophers. not sure how many P5 offers she had, if any. she was a 3* and rated like the 56th guard? i really am impressed by her game. she has dropped some long 3 pt'ers. she is one of the best in the big ten as a freshman. wouldn't surprise me at all that coach whalen smooths things out once she establishes her culture. might take another year or two. i don't know if she will be fighting for a big ten championship, but, think she will have minny consistently in the fight.

Whalen reads statement on the suspensions:

“To be an athlete at the University of Minnesota comes with high standards and expectations,” Whalen said Wednesday while reading from a prepared statement at the start of her media access period. “When those are not met, there are consequences. I will always respect the privacy of a student-athlete. So I will not go into any detail to what led to my decision, or what has transpired since. But, with that said, I can tell you that Destiny Pitts’ status has not changed. She remains suspended.”  
Taiye Bello — the Big Ten’s leading rebounder — and reserve Kehinde Bello also did not make the trip nor play in the 74-71 loss at Illinois. They are back with the Gophers, Whalen said, and will practice Wednesday but their status for Thursday’s game is still to be determined. When asked if the absence of the Bello sisters at Illinois was related to Pitts’ situation, Whalen replied, “um, no.”  
When asked if she thinks the situation with Pitts can be resolved, Whalen said: “Yes. But as I said, I’m not going to go into details as to what that is. But yes.”