Nebraska vs Wichita St "secret" scrimmage 2019

hhcmatt

2 hours ago, 49r said:

We kept hearing from recruits we lost out on during the Sadler and Miles eras that playing that type of up-tempo style is what attracted them to the team they committed to, so hopefully that works in our favor going forward.

Yes, that's a consistent theme. And, in that vein, Nebrasketball ought to land some more talented players who want to play in the NBA, methinks.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Wichita State's leading scorer in the scrimmage was a juco transfer in his 1st season with the Shockers. Their second-leading scorer was a sophomore. Most of their players are 1st or 2nd year players and hardly any of the guys who will likely contribute for them this season have been in their program more than a year already, the exception being senior starting center Jaime Echinique. They're expected to make the NCAA tournament.  Just for some perspective.

thought I read they bring back 7 of their rotation guys back plus the juco

14 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

thought I read they bring back 7 of their rotation guys back plus the juco

Here it is:  

Last week Marshall said WSU was well ahead of where it was at this point last year. Dennis agreed, saying it’s because there are seven returners with notable playing experience compared to just two last season.

Also, they have an established coaching staff and a system that have been around for a long time.  

Just now, Swan88 said:

I’ll take us a year from now in a heartbeat!

We lose Kavas and Cheatham and replace them with an eligible Banton, Walker and Donovan Williams. Plus whoever fills the spot vacated by D'Andre Davis.

I'm anticipating that both Kavas and Cheatham will play important roles for us this year, and each brings a very useful skill to the table. But seniors graduate all the time and get replaced by freshmen all the time, so it's not just a straight swap because you also get incremental improvement from the players who return.

Having said that, some have said Banton is the best player on the team.  And he's sitting on the sidelines as a transfer this year, the year we're kind of expecting to struggle. And we'd struggle even if he was eligible.

But next year, when he's eligible, the returning players around him will all have a leg up over where they are today and we'll have an opportunity to backfill some of the vacancies to get those additional pieces we might need but don't have right now.

Yeah, this could be a 2-year turnaround.

Why wait for year two?  The odds of improving over the course of this year are good.

I refuse to go to the dark/negative side after a disappointing score in a closed exhibition that’s the first-ever NCAA game for this team.

On the philosophical side: as a general rule, limiting the number of negative-people contacts is a major goal—for the same reasons behind exercising, getting adequate sleep, eating healthy food, etc.  Following Husker message boards (especially Red Sea Scrolls) is an exception to that general rule that should probably be eliminated.

Edited by Swan88

I dont think anyone is "going" to the "negative" side. Many of us are just staying on the realistic side. I expected us to struggle this season before the secret scrimmage and I still expect us to struggle. However, I do expect us to be much improved by the end of the season. Gonna be a fun season to watch unfold even if im not expecting the best results! GBR

You can always learn things from secret scrimmages, but take them with a grain of salt.  Duke only beat NW Missouri State by 6 points in their exhibition.  Coaches try a lot of different rotations, sets, etc...I think the best thing from them is getting to play a game against different guys than your teammates.  Plus you can use them as great teaching moments.  We gave up a ton of offensive boards which is clearly going to be an issue this year.  So you can use this as motivation to continue to work hard in that area.

The nice thing for our group is we will technically have 6 games under our belt (4 in Italy, WSU and Doane) before our 1st real action. 

8 minutes ago, bball23 said:

You can always learn things from secret scrimmages, but take them with a grain of salt.  Duke only beat NW Missouri State by 6 points in their exhibition.  Coaches try a lot of different rotations, sets, etc...I think the best thing from them is getting to play a game against different guys than your teammates.  Plus you can use them as great teaching moments.  We gave up a ton of offensive boards which is clearly going to be an issue this year.  So you can use this as motivation to continue to work hard in that area.

The nice thing for our group is we will technically have 6 games under our belt (4 in Italy, WSU and Doane) before our 1st real action. 

FIRE COACH K