Nebraska vs Wichita St "secret" scrimmage 2019

hhcmatt

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/10/26/the-roundhouse-rh-trey-wade-shows-off-complete-game.aspx

Nebraska and Wichita State practiced on Saturday at the Aetna Multi-Purpose Center in a closed scrimmage meant to give both teams a look at a new opponent and lessons with officials and a clock. The teams started by alternating possessions. They worked against full-court and zone defenses before finishing with a 40-minute scrimmage, won by Wichita State 89-75.

Also

The Shockers grabbed 17 offensive rebounds

Via UNL

Huskers Fall in Closed Scrimmage
Wichita, Kan. -- 
Cam Mack had 17 points to lead three Huskers in double figures, but the Huskers fell to Wichita State, 89-75, in a closed scrimmage Saturday afternoon.

“It was a great opportunity for us to play a big, strong, physical team like Wichita State,” Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg said. “I thought we had some good moments, and also had some things we that we can certainly learn from today.”

Mack topped led the Huskers in rebounds (six) and assists (six), while Matej Kavas and Jervay Green added 15 and 14 points, respectively. Kavas went 5-of-8 from 3-point range and Green chipped in a pair of 3-pointers in the loss.

Trey Wade led four WSU players in double figures with 18 points and 11 rebounds, while Erik Stevenson added 17 points, including four 3-pointers for the winners.

WSU also hit nine 3-pointers and went 12-of-14 from the line, while Nebraska went 12-of-20 from the line, including several front ends from the charity stripe in the first half.

Nebraska held Wichita State, which won 22 games and reached the semifinals of the NIT last season, to 45 percent shooting on the day, but were outrebounded 51-36, including 17 offensive caroms.

“We have to be able to find a way to battle on the glass,” Hoiberg said. “That was the one thing we talked about going into the season was for us to have a chance to win was to compete on the glass. We gave up 17 offensive rebounds and that is too many.”

The Huskers also overcame a slow start, as WSU built a double-figure lead in the first seven minutes, only to see the Huskers climb back into the contest with seven straight points capped by a Kavas 3-pointer.

“I thought we battled back after we got down double-digits early and cut into the lead,” Hoiberg said. “When we got out and played with pace, we had really good things happen.”

NU trailed 45-35 at half, but were unable to draw closer in the final 20 minutes, as the Shockers size stook over. WSU had 12 of its 17 offensive boards in the final 20 minutes.

“There are a lot of things we will look at and get back to work on Monday to get better in those areas,” Hoiberg said.

So . . . we lost the first half by 10 and lost the second half by 4.

Looks like we are getting to the line frequently—need to hit a better percentage. 

For Wichita St. fans, are they happy or concerned by this result: (i) getting 12 offensive rebounds in a single half and only winning that half by four points, (ii) only getting 14 foul shots against an undersized team, (iii) this result against a group of players in their first-ever game together?

36 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . we lost the first half by 10 and lost the second half by 4.

Looks like we are getting to the line frequently—need to hit a better percentage. 

For Wichita St. fans, are they happy or concerned by this result: (i) getting 12 offensive rebounds in a single half and only winning that half by four points, (ii) only getting 14 foul shots against an undersized team, (iii) this result against a group of players in their first-ever game together?

I’d say winning by double digits would make me pretty happy regardless of who I’m playing. 

My concern was, and will likely continue to be, the difficulty we will have defending bigs.  I think you see that issue when you hear that WSU had so many offensive rebounds.  We will improve as the season progresses, but team size won't be fixed until next season and beyond.  (Hmm, I think that is one of the many issues with the football team as well.)

Look here guys.... losing a secret scrimmage is UNACCEPTABLE. 

Didnt we beat Iowa St in 1 last year? They were pretty good.  I dont really care that we won or lost I already saw everything I needed to see in Italy and that's the beautiful ball movement. I dont recall every seeing that as a fan of Nebrasketball. This is going to be a fun season!

Wichita State's leading scorer in the scrimmage was a juco transfer in his 1st season with the Shockers. Their second-leading scorer was a sophomore. Most of their players are 1st or 2nd year players and hardly any of the guys who will likely contribute for them this season have been in their program more than a year already, the exception being senior starting center Jaime Echinique. They're expected to make the NCAA tournament.  Just for some perspective.