Outlook for '19-'20

Norm Peterson

48 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Yep, trashing Steve Harley is a completely revisionist approach to his actual contribution which was pretty darned solid on both ends of the court.  He was a great JUCO pickup for us and delivered when he got here. 

One caveat I would point out between Doc's mini squad and this one is the conference.  That's actually fairly significant when considering how good the front courts typically are across the board in the B1G.  It's kind of like football in terms of its physicality.  It will take a toll on us week in and week out.  I don't think Doc's squad would've made the bubble in the B1G of today.  

Gonna disagree with you on the conference comparison. The Big 12 was stacked during this time, and the frontcourts had to give coaches nightmares. Some frontcourt players that season: Cole Aldrich (all-American) and the Morris twins at Kansas. Blake Griffin (National POY) and his brother Taylor at Oklahoma, Craig Brackins (all-American) at Iowa State. Dexter Pittman and Damion James at Texas. Brian Davis at A&M. And Baylor always had about five guys in their rotation about 6’9” and above.

Not saying Big Ten bigs are scrubs by any means, but I’d rather deal with Matt Haarms, Jon Teske and Kaleb Wesson than the guys I listed above.

18 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Satisfied yes. His % was 43% 2pt, 34% 3pt, and 61% FT as a senior. I don't think its trashing Harley to state if Green doesn't do better than those numbers we could struggle. Harley was O.K. but he was average at best. 

Well, #1, we're probably going to struggle, but not for reasons related to how well Jervay Green adjusts to the D1 game. I'll just go back to my point that if Jervay is not the star player we're hoping for, it'll become someone else's role. It's not like we have so few options at guard that we have to play him no matter how good or bad he happens to be. It's not like playing David Rivers at the 4 because we literally had no one else to slot there.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, #1, we're probably going to struggle, but not for reasons related to how well Jervay Green adjusts to the D1 game. I'll just go back to my point that if Jervay is not the star player we're hoping for, it'll become someone else's role. It's not like we have so few options at guard that we have to play him no matter how good or bad he happens to be. It's not like playing David Rivers at the 4 because we literally had no one else to slot there.

No disagreement here. I tried to address multiple post with just 1 reply. I think we struggle all season because there are nothing but new players. And my original post was more to address the thought that Harley was being slighted. Regardless who ends up in that spot I hope they produce better than Harley. 

19 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Gonna disagree with you on the conference comparison. The Big 12 was stacked during this time, and the frontcourts had to give coaches nightmares. Some frontcourt players that season: Cole Aldrich (all-American) and the Morris twins at Kansas. Blake Griffin (National POY) and his brother Taylor at Oklahoma, Craig Brackins (all-American) at Iowa State. Dexter Pittman and Damion James at Texas. Brian Davis at A&M. And Baylor always had about five guys in their rotation about 6’9” and above.

Not saying Big Ten bigs are scrubs by any means, but I’d rather deal with Matt Haarms, Jon Teske and Kaleb Wesson than the guys I listed above.

That's totally fair.  I was thinking more in terms of style of play though--traditional, beefy, physical, back to the basket bigs to go along with a physical style of play.  I wouldn't put the Morris twins, Griffins, Brackins, James (6'7") in that category.  Pittman was always out of shape, though talented.  Aldrich was definitely a true Center--very B1G style player.  Can't remember Baylor's squad that year.  I'll give you that 6'4" Ryan Anderson at the 5 was an absolutely incredible post defender for his size and stretched the floor for us on the other end.  We were a weird team to prepare for as well.  

MSU, Iowa, Purdue, Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Northwestern are all going to try and brawl with you down low.  And Michigan always has a huge, capable dude if they need to go that route.  

Outside of KU and maybe A&M, I don't usually see that style of play in the B12.  I sort of remember K-State setting the trend for the positionless, athletic front court player whose job was primarily to run, block shots, and get putbacks.  In the B1G, there are actual centers or, at the very least, brawler philosophy.  

This team is one big mystery. There's plenty of talent and plenty of potential, and a non con slate that just needs frosting and sprinkles added to complete it. The biggest question in my eyes is how quickly do the two JUCO guards adjust to the college game. Most JUCO to power five guys don't set the world on fire, yes these two are highly regarded, but as cliche as it sounds the Big Ten is a different animal. I am also far from sold on Cheatham, and he's my early pick to be the biggest let down on the roster. But back to positivity, the Burke will be TOUGH for any team to guard, and if him and Curtis are on the floor together that'll be a damn scrappy backcourt. This year is a learn and grow year, not just for the team but for the fan base as well. We gotta learn to get used to offense first basketball, something many of us haven't seen in many moons at Nebraska. Buckle up, it's gonna be quite the adventure. 

30 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

No disagreement here. I tried to address multiple post with just 1 reply. I think we struggle all season because there are nothing but new players. And my original post was more to address the thought that Harley was being slighted. Regardless who ends up in that spot I hope they produce better than Harley. 

I think he's being slighted on the defensive end.  He was a good all around player.  Those offensive numbers are actually pretty good for a solid defender.  He was second on the team in scoring and third in assists while leading the team in steals.  I think expecting something similar from Green is fairly reasonable.  

111347.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for visiting with us this evening. Now I've traveled across half our state to be here and to see about this land. Now I daresay some of you might have heard some of the more extravagant rumors about what my plans are, so I just thought you'd like to hear it from me. This is the face -- it's no great mystery.

I'm a pace man, ladies and gentlemen. I have coached many games high in pace. I have statistic showing the speed at which my teams play. I like to think of myself as a pace man. And as a pace man I hope that you'll forgive just good old-fashioned plain speaking. Now this work that we do is very much a family enterprise. My grandfather coached here before me. I think one or two of you might have met him already.

Now something else, and please don't be insulted if I speak about this: points. Let's talk about points. Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any man, woman, or child in this magnificent country of ours should have to look upon scoring points as a luxury. We're going to play with pace here. Pace means space; space means shots. We're going to raise the number of shots here where before it just simply was impossible. You're going to have more shots than you know what to do with. Points will be coming right out of your ears, ma'am.

Points, shots, pace,  these are just a few of the things we can offer you, and I assure you ladies and gentlemen, that if we do have pace here, and I think there's a very good chance that we will, this team of yours will not only survive, it will flourish.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have. Yes?

Will we play defense?

Well, I'm going to leave that to Doc. Thank you. Anyone else? Well, if anything comes up, I'm pretty easy to find and you just come and visit with me. Thank you so much for your time. Good night.

20 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think he's being slighted on the defensive end.  He was a good all around player.  Those offensive numbers are actually pretty good for a solid defender.  He was second on the team in scoring and third in assists while leading the team in steals.  I think expecting something similar from Green is fairly reasonable.  

It seems this is where we are splitting hairs. If Green (or whoever) is averaging those #'s and is still only the 2nd leading scorer its gonna be a loooooooong year. Which it still may be. What do the kids say? Trust the process?

I wasn’t going out of my way to “dog” Steve Harley, but Green was one of the top JUCO’s in the Country & I’m hoping he fills more of a Petteway/Palmer role as far as a go to scorer. I don’t expect him to put up their type of numbers (at least this year) but I expect him to be more of a dynamic player than Harley ever was...

Here's my break down of the 12 players from this team that have a chance to play this year:

- Akol Arop 6'6 Fr F: An undersized, athletic forward who possesses great length. Needs to work on his shot from deep, if he does that he may be a viable option at the three or four spot as a three and D forward. Missed the Italy trip. My pick for a redshirt. Can he help in the front court this year?

- Cam Mack 6'2 So G: Advertised to have elite level quickness and speed with the ball in his hand. Has no problem getting to the hoop or dishing it out to teammates. Needs to work on his three point shooting and defense. Also interested to see if he possesses multiple gears with his speed/quickness or is it all or nothing. Did not participate in most of the summer workouts and the entire Italy trip. How does he adjust to D1 from JUCO?

Charlie Easley 6'2 Fr G: A walk-on? Yes, a walk-on! He is a decent athlete and a great shooter. He has proven that he at least belongs in the mix. What can he bring something to the rotation that scholarship player on the team cannot?

- Dachon Burke 6'4 Jr G: Another lightning quick guard. Known for his ability to get to the rim and play defense. Needs to improve his three point shooting. Can he be effective and efficient at the P5 level?

- Haanif Cheatham 6'6 Sr G: A big guard and wing defender who can shoot the ball well from deep. Also brings a veteran, mature presence to a team that will need it. Can he stay healthy?

- Jervay Green 6'3 Jr G: The only guard that we have with a B1G body that will actually play at the guard position. He can light it up from deep. Can he bring anything else to the table aside from shooting?

- Kevin Cross 6'8 Fr F: A skilled big bodied forward that can pass, bring the ball up the floor, and shoot. Is he physically ready to bang against B1G front courts?

- Matej Kavas 6'8 Sr G/F: One of the best three point shooters in college basketball over the past couple seasons. Also brings another veteran presence. Can he defend well enough to stay on the floor or shoot well enough where his defense does not really matter?

- Samari Curtis 6'4 Fr G: May be the best overall scorer in regards to the three phases of the game. Can he beat out some of the older, more experienced guards on the roster?

- Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 Jr F: Has the size and athleticism to compete in the B1G and has proven himself already in a P5 league. Will provide much needed size/muscle on the wing and in the front court. When will he be eligible?

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 Jr G: Only returning point scorer from last years team. Does a lot of things well but is not really great at a specific thing. Can he find a role on this team?

- Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 Fr F: The only true body we have that is built to play the 5 in the B1G. He will be needed immediately regardless of if he is ready or not. Missed all of the summer workouts and the Italy trip. Is he ready?

37 minutes ago, khoock said:

Here's my break down of the 12 players from this team that have a chance to play this year:

- Akol Arop 6'6 Fr F: An undersized, athletic forward who possesses great length. Needs to work on his shot from deep, if he does that he may be a viable option at the three or four spot as a three and D forward. Missed the Italy trip. My pick for a redshirt. Can he help in the front court this year?

- Cam Mack 6'2 So G: Advertised to have elite level quickness and speed with the ball in his hand. Has no problem getting to the hoop or dishing it out to teammates. Needs to work on his three point shooting and defense. Also interested to see if he possesses multiple gears with his speed/quickness or is it all or nothing. Did not participate in most of the summer workouts and the entire Italy trip. How does he adjust to D1 from JUCO?

Charlie Easley 6'2 Fr G: A walk-on? Yes, a walk-on! He is a decent athlete and a great shooter. He has proven that he at least belongs in the mix. What can he bring something to the rotation that scholarship player on the team cannot?

- Dachon Burke 6'4 Jr G: Another lightning quick guard. Known for his ability to get to the rim and play defense. Needs to improve his three point shooting. Can he be effective and efficient at the P5 level?

- Haanif Cheatham 6'6 Sr G: A big guard and wing defender who can shoot the ball well from deep. Also brings a veteran, mature presence to a team that will need it. Can he stay healthy?

- Jervay Green 6'3 Jr G: The only guard that we have with a B1G body that will actually play at the guard position. He can light it up from deep. Can he bring anything else to the table aside from shooting?

- Kevin Cross 6'8 Fr F: A skilled big bodied forward that can pass, bring the ball up the floor, and shoot. Is he physically ready to bang against B1G front courts?

- Matej Kavas 6'8 Sr G/F: One of the best three point shooters in college basketball over the past couple seasons. Also brings another veteran presence. Can he defend well enough to stay on the floor or shoot well enough where his defense does not really matter?

- Samari Curtis 6'4 Fr G: May be the best overall scorer in regards to the three phases of the game. Can he beat out some of the older, more experienced guards on the roster?

- Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 Jr F: Has the size and athleticism to compete in the B1G and has proven himself already in a P5 league. Will provide much needed size/muscle on the wing and in the front court. When will he be eligible?

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 Jr G: Only returning point scorer from last years team. Does a lot of things well but is not really great at a specific thing. Can he find a role on this team?

- Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 Fr F: The only true body we have that is built to play the 5 in the B1G. He will be needed immediately regardless of if he is ready or not. Missed all of the summer workouts and the Italy trip. Is he ready?

Good breakdown. IMO, Samari also has a B1G body at the guard position. He’s a big, strong dude for a combo guard.

36 minutes ago, skerbball said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=290550158

2009 Texas A&M game. Steve Harley ran like a maniac and saved the basketball on the baseline. Ref out of position called him out of bounds. Nebraska loses on a buzzer beater. That 2008-2009 team was inspiring to watch. 

I remember that game: a heartbreaker!  It took a lot of bad luck at the end to lose that one.

On 10/23/2019 at 1:04 PM, NebrasketballJake said:

This team is one big mystery. There's plenty of talent and plenty of potential, and a non con slate that just needs frosting and sprinkles added to complete it. The biggest question in my eyes is how quickly do the two JUCO guards adjust to the college game. Most JUCO to power five guys don't set the world on fire, yes these two are highly regarded, but as cliche as it sounds the Big Ten is a different animal. I am also far from sold on Cheatham, and he's my early pick to be the biggest let down on the roster. But back to positivity, the Burke will be TOUGH for any team to guard, and if him and Curtis are on the floor together that'll be a damn scrappy backcourt. This year is a learn and grow year, not just for the team but for the fan base as well. We gotta learn to get used to offense first basketball, something many of us haven't seen in many moons at Nebraska. Buckle up, it's gonna be quite the adventure. 

Please don't say that our schedule needs frosting. Please don't say that. Find a different word for my sake. Thanks