First NU Basketball Coaches Show

throwback

1 hour ago, 49r said:

It makes me both nervous and excited to hear how much they think Thor fits into what they plan to do.

It's also great to hear about Kevin getting into better shape.

Thor makes things happen in a good way. He's a very heads-up kind of player. Always have thought that about him.

His lack of a jumper was what made me think he would a) not be suited to the Hoiberg system and, therefore, b) probably figure into the "roster attrition" thread.

But if he's made strides with his jumper, he's a pretty decent player otherwise, and can obviously do some things we'd want and need.

Happy for Thor if this pans out. By all indications, he's a great kid and a great teammate.

His comments on Arop scream RS to me. Im also biased bc I think he is someone who we could develop into a nightmare for the opposition in this system.

I also think Easley could be a sneaky RS option. I know its not common for walkons to RS if they are healthy. But he definitely has some tools. Maybe we could entice him with the opportunity of being on scholarship for 1-1.5 years. Its not uncommon for the completion of college to exceed 4 years now anyway.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Thor makes things happen in a good way. He's a very heads-up kind of player. Always have thought that about him.

His lack of a jumper was what made me think he would a) not be suited to the Hoiberg system and, therefore, b) probably figure into the "roster attrition" thread.

But if he's made strides with his jumper, he's a pretty decent player otherwise, and can obviously do some things we'd want and need.

Happy for Thor if this pans out. By all indications, he's a great kid and a great teammate.

Love the moxie of dudes like Thor and a guy like Benny Parker before him. Takes a strong man to buck up & get better when it looks like you're the odd man out.

6 hours ago, 49r said:

It makes me both nervous and excited to hear how much they think Thor fits into what they plan to do.

It's also great to hear about Kevin getting into better shape.

After seeing Thor for longer stretches to end last year, I actually thought more highly of him as an all-around player than I initially did.  I think he has a good comparison to Benny Parker, and a young Tai Webster in terms of how some view the "outlook" on him.  I think Norm nailed it by saying that an improved jumper could make him a much more valuable contributor.  However, for as much as it sounds like we will be moving and cutting, I could certainly see Thor fitting in with that style.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've always liked Thor's game.  If he can become a regular rotation guy I'll be thrilled.

2 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

This is radio as opposed to TV, right? Does anyone have a link to listen, by chance?

This was his TV show - they usually have it on-demand on Huskers.com a few days after it airs, but I don't see it up there yet.

Looks like there will be another one for the next NU football bye week too, so Nov. 10 air date in Lincoln. Then it begins airing weekly after NU football season ends.

I'm not sure what the Sports Nightly weekly call-in radio show schedule is for Coach Hoiberg & assistants yet. I want to say Coach Miles was on Mondays the last few years, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by throwback

On 10/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, throwback said:

I'm not sure what the Sports Nightly weekly call-in radio show schedule is for Coach Hoiberg & assistants yet. I want to say Coach Miles was on Mondays the last few years, but I'm not 100% sure.

Speaking of Sports Nightly, I almost called in a couple weeks back to voice my displeasure, specifically with Nate Rohr. It was the Monday after the scrimmage, and Nate said something along the lines of "it seems a bit early to be talking basketball", and Sharpe agreed. Yeah, that sounds great to recruits that our own network says stupid things like this. So those guys can talk about the 5th string running back and spring football in February, yet OCTOBER is a bit early to discuss Husker hoops. Sorry, that just got me a tad hot under the collar!

18 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Speaking of Sports Nightly, I almost called in a couple weeks back to voice my displeasure, specifically with Nate Rohr. It was the Monday after the scrimmage, and Nate said something along the lines of "it seems a bit early to be talking basketball", and Sharpe agreed. Yeah, that sounds great to recruits that our own network says stupid things like this. So those guys can talk about the 5th string running back and spring football in February, yet OCTOBER is a bit early to discuss Husker hoops. Sorry, that just got me a tad hot under the collar!

You should have called in, jason, and put those fellas on blast.

Couldn't agree more. I hate that kind of myopic (non) thinking. I think we should all call when stupidities like that are voiced statewide. Most of us hang on any kind of recruiting information or any other kind of basketball news. Frankly, it is much more compelling than the empty minutia that is trotted out every football season.