CFP Contenders 2019

khoock

3 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Utah is pretty good but no one watches them play as the Pac-12 Network is a joke.

They have been dominant since their loss @ USC. I also think they were without their starting QB and RB that game. One was out and the other got hurt during the game, if i remember correctly.

They have to stay ahead of Oklahoma (assuming the contenders win out. It will also be interesting to see where Baylor and Oregon land heading in to conference championship weekend.

1. Ohio St

2. LSU

3. Clemson

4. Georgia

5. Oklahoma

6. Utah 

7. Baylor

- Committee was a week premature in jumping Ohio St over LSU. A blow out road victory over Michigan now makes Ohio St and LSUs schedules comparable. And the Buckeyes have been much more dominant. Both probably get in with a loss.

- All of Clemson's signature wins LOST. They are hanging on by a thread. If they get upset by Virginia in the ACC championship game there is absolutely no way they should get in. Defending champ or not.

- Georgia controls its own fate. Win the SEC and they are in. Simple as that.

- Oklahoma has the inside track as they are the only one of the remaining three teams that has an elite win. Baylor can avenge their only loss of the season. I dont really see how Utah gets in in any scenario. Oregon kind of screwed the pouch for the Pac-12 when they lost to Arizona last week. 

Edited by khoock

50 minutes ago, khoock said:

All of Clemson's signature wins LOST. They are hanging on by a thread. If they get upset by Virginia in the ACC championship game there is absolutely no way they should get in. Defending champ or not.

Definitely not inspiring football by Clemson. They get to choose 4 of their games each year and those opponents went 26-22 (19-13).

Of the ACC opponents, they went 26-38.

Clemson's schedule went 71-73 (45-51) this year; only 5 opponents had a winning record (ACC x2, CUSA, SEC, and Southern).

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Definitely not inspiring football by Clemson. They get to choose 4 of their games each year and those opponents went 26-22 (19-13).

Of the ACC opponents, they went 26-38.

Clemson's schedule went 71-73 (45-51) this year; only 5 opponents had a winning record (ACC x2, CUSA, SEC, and Southern).

I dont fault them on their non-conf they scheduled two P5 teams. Both of which just happened to average or below. And ACC was unusually bad (even for ACC standards). But thats Clemson's problem and really only if they lose. Take care of business and they are in. 

51 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I like Utah over Baylor.  Baylor's non conf schedule was Stephen F Austin, UTSA, and Rice.  Combine that with close games against average teams has me putting Utah out front.

In this scenario:

- Utah wins over BYU, Cal, Washington, Arizona St, and Oregon

- Baylor wins over Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma St, Texas and Oklahoma

Pretty similar resumes. I would give a slight edge to Baylor having the more impressive wins and the fact that they technically beat every team on their schedule. However, Utah has definitely been more dominate.

Baylor

SOS: 58

SOR: 8

GC: 11

FPI Rank: 15

Utah

SOS: 54

SOR: 12

GC: 9

FPI Rank: 11

SOS: Strength of schedule played, from perspective of an average FBS team.

SOR: Strength of record - Reflects chance that an average Top 25 team would have team's record or better, given the schedule.

GC: Game control - Reflects chance that an average Top 25 team would control games from start to end the way this team did, given the schedule.

FPI: Football Power Index that measures team's true strength on net points scale; expected point margin vs average opponent on neutral field.

Well its more than likely two scenarios:

- Ohio State v. Oklahoma and LSU v. Clemson

OR

- Some combination of Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU

BUT 

Theres always the chance that some weird shit happens and some combination of Ohio St, Clemson, and LSU lose.

46 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Looking at current scores.... I think the field is set.

Yep. Oh boy could Wisconsin really be regretting that Illinois loss by the end of the night! But theres a good chance Ohio State will be matched up with Clemson win or lose tonight. LSU probably takes over #1 and if Ohio State loses they probably dont drop below Oklahoma.

Looks like we will see:

(1) LSU v. (4) Oklahoma

(2/3) Ohio St v. (2/3) Clemson

ESPN will try and sell us on the possibility of Wisconsin leaping Oklahoma (if they pull of the upset) to boost ratings for their reveal show. But no way in hell that happens.