Nebraska Recruiting

Bugeaters1

11 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

wasn't Mi'Cole Cayton a 5 star?  Not a guard, but I think that Kissinger was also a 5

Thanks for reminding me about T. Kissinger she was in fact a 5 star 97 rated player out of high school.  Just our luck and hers that she couldn't complete her career in WBB.  Micole was a 4 star rated 94 by ESPN.  Injuries had a big impact on her career as well.

Here's some more background on our newest Husker, Maddie Krull!!! :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

Huskers Add Krull for 2022-23

(Three years eligibility remaining)

https://huskers.com/news/2022/4/26/womens-basketball-huskers-add-krull-for-2022-23.aspx

A tough and versatile competitor, Krull had 13 points, three rebounds and four assists while playing the full 40 minutes in USD's first-round NCAA Tournament victory over Ole Miss (March 18). She added six points, seven rebounds, two assists and three steals to help the Coyotes to a 61-47 upset of No. 7 Baylor (March 20) to propel them to the Sweet Sixteen.

"We are so excited to add Maddie Krull to our Husker family," Williams said. "She is a winner who loves to compete. Every team she has has ever been a part of has been a winning team, and she carried that over into two very successful seasons to start her college career. Maddie was a key member of a team that went to the Sweet Sixteen, and we are happy to welcome her home to Nebraska. We can't wait to have her competing as a Husker."

Here's some more background on our newest Husker, Maddie Krull!!! mfclap.gifmfclap.gifmfclap.gif

Huskers Add Krull for 2022-23

(Three years eligibility remaining)

https://huskers.com/news/2022/4/26/womens-basketball-huskers-add-krull-for-2022-23.aspx

A tough and versatile competitor, Krull had 13 points, three rebounds and four assists while playing the full 40 minutes in USD's first-round NCAA Tournament victory over Ole Miss (March 18). She added six points, seven rebounds, two assists and three steals to help the Coyotes to a 61-47 upset of No. 7 Baylor (March 20) to propel them to the Sweet Sixteen.

"We are so excited to add Maddie Krull to our Husker family," Williams said. "She is a winner who loves to compete. Every team she has has ever been a part of has been a winning team, and she carried that over into two very successful seasons to start her college career. Maddie was a key member of a team that went to the Sweet Sixteen, and we are happy to welcome her home to Nebraska. We can't wait to have her competing as a Husker."

So why Nebraska so late in recruiting her out of h I ghost school? If she was as good as her ranking. You would have thought that the huskers would have been in on her from the get go.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So why Nebraska so late in recruiting her out of h I ghost school? If she was as good as her ranking. You would have thought that the huskers would have been in on her from the get go.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Similar situation as Markowski and SDS.  Both the players jumped the gun and committed early but in the end we get them both.  GBR

keeping everyone happy with playing time .. that's my worry.  We lost four guards (Scoggins, Porter, Cayton, and Brown) and so far are planning to add just two (Hake and Krull) so that makes six (Shelly, Wiedner, Haiby, Moriarty, Hake, and Krull) which is a lot. Add in the possibility that two long injured guards will return and that becomes a log jam. 

Sam will be gone after next season, so that may help the over abundance guard situation.....the following year anyway. With the new commits in 2022, 2023 it will get crowed at guard again. The way things are now....the portal could take a couple away after next season ?

Could be all wet but think Moriarty has only touched her her capabilities. Really mobile and quick on the floor. Don't want to loose her. 

The need now, and for the near future is bigs. 4s and 5s.  Popa is a 5 as I understand it.  She may be the key for making the inside work next season. 5's are pretty rare it seems.

Issie and Stewart will be the 4's.  Coley just hasn't played the inside much, in her history.  

Edited by redsteve

Amy Williams has made some nice acquisitions last year and so far this year in transfers and incoming freshmen.  Our foundation continues to improve with her added building blocks.  Maddie Krull seems to be built more along the lines of Allison Weidner in being a complete player showing physicality both on offense and defense.  We now have 9 players that are battle tested with 6 of them as starters.  Plus we have 2 newbies (freshmen), one tall redshirt and two more coming off 2 years of injuries.  If we can get a couple of of these last five to be contributors along with the development of the whole team we could take another big step this fall.

9 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

keeping everyone happy with playing time .. that's my worry.  We lost four guards (Scoggins, Porter, Cayton, and Brown) and so far are planning to add just two (Hake and Krull) so that makes six (Shelly, Wiedner, Haiby, Moriarty, Hake, and Krull) which is a lot. Add in the possibility that two long injured guards will return and that becomes a log jam. 

Well, it's possible Haiby and Shelley are in their last years, too. Haiby obviously is, and if Shelley can't easily benefit from NIL because of her international status...somebody's gonna pay her good money to play pro basketball. 

So, say they leave after this year, it's Krull, Weidner, Moriarty, Hake, and maybe Dillard/Brady, the ND kid, and portal. 

Krull's a massive add. She has 3 years, will do a little of everything, probably plays 20-25 minutes per game. And will be one of the team's best workers. 

Regarding future needs/prospects; just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment:  

We've had two talented (imho) players (three actually including Mi'Cole) enter the portal; leaving a team known for its close-knit camaraderie, reportedly in hopes of finding more playing time elsewhere (TCU and Fort Hays) next season.  

It makes me wonder what they might have seen/know that we don't. They, of course, have attended practices and have seen the all the players as they progress and develop.

What does it say that they see their playing time potentially being cut so much that they sought to go elsewhere.

:ph34r:
Edited by Red Don

59 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Regarding future needs/prospects; just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment:  

We've had two talented (imho) players (three actually including Mi'Cole) enter the portal; leaving a team known for its close-knit camaraderie, reportedly in hopes of finding more playing time elsewhere (TCU and Fort Hays) next season.  

It makes me wonder what they might have seen/know that we don't. They, of course, have attended practices and have seen the all the players as they progress and develop.

What does it say that they see their playing time potentially being cut so much that they sought to go elsewhere.

:ph34r:

I'm sure they all had meetings with coach Williams and reviewed their future.  Brown getting a scholarship at another school along with more playing time was big to her.  Cravens wanted to be a starter and it wasn't going to happen at NU this fall.  And who knows about Cayton as her minutes were limited this past season and with the new adds was probably going to be less.

Yes......Most likely saw their playing time not improving.  So Portal.

I read an article yesterday, where roughly 40% of those transferring don't end up n a better position or no school of their choice picked them up at all.  (not my thoughts, but a sports writer). 

Edited by redsteve

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...