Nebraska Recruiting

Bugeaters1

Good Article on Maggie Mendelson!!!

https://huskers.com/news/2021/11/22/top-dual-sport-star-mendelson-signs-with-huskers.aspx

The 6-5 Mendelson is the only recruit in the country who is a member of the U.S. youth national teams in both volleyball and basketball. She will graduate a year early from Fremont High School in North Ogden, Utah, to join the Husker programs in 2022.

"I chose Nebraska because of the relationship I have built with the coaches," Mendelson said. "They believe I can play both sports, and I appreciate the tradition of those programs at Nebraska."

• 2 months later...

I checked on how Maggie Mendleson and her Fremont High School in Ogden Utah were doing and both are doing quite well.  They played in the Elite Nike Tournament in Arizona and won a couple and lost couple there.  It will be interesting how she fits in next year.  Even more depth then we have this year.

Edited by HUD
sp

23 minutes ago, HUD said:

I checked on how Maggie Mendleson and her Femont High School in Ogden Utah were doing and both are doing quite well.  They played in the Elite Nike Tournament in Arizona and won a couple and lost couple there.  It will be interesting how she fits in next year.  Even more depth then we have this year.

here are some class 6A stats i found on her (remember, she is listed as a jr.):

4th in scoring: 17.1/game    FG% 60  FT% 69

#1 in rebounds: 106 def  55 off  9.5/game

6th in blocks: 1.8/game

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

really.......it begs to ask the question: who is going to outscore the hawkeyes in the big ten next season?

sure, they may have a bad game here and there....but, wow. i know there is talk about their defense, but, for another big ten title it might not matter much.

course, this is dependent on if McCabe comes in as touted. ugh

You never know how things are going to work out once H.S. players hit college.  There are lots of examples of 4 and 5 star rated players looking like 3 star and vice versa. As I noted before Fremont High has not been good to us.  One more reason to feel good whenever Iowa gets beat.

read the latest vb article...

"leaving just Maggie Mendelson and Penn State transfer Kaitlyn Hord to join to program for the summer term."

a little confused...i was thinking Mendelson would come in for the bb program for the summer and join vb in the fall. are the bb and vb summer programs on a different schedule? if so, going to be a busy, busy gal.

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

"leaving just Maggie Mendelson and Penn State transfer Kaitlyn Hord to join to program for the summer term."

a little confused...i was thinking Mendelson would come in for the bb program for the summer and join vb in the fall. are the bb and vb summer programs on a different schedule? if so, going to be a busy, busy gal.

I think the key is "to join the summer term" meaning classes.  It was previously stated when she signed she would practice with the WBB team during the summer and the switch to WVB when fall practice starts.  That being said she may be doing a little volleyball at that same time.  She handled both very well during last years US national VB and BB tournaments.  Was a big contributor for both teams.  It takes a smart, dedicated and athletic player to do that.

5 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

It's hard to see this, at least initially, as anything other than "she's gonna play volleyball and get to basketball when she gets to basketball" kind of deal. That's kind of what Cepero did - played volleyball, then played the last 15-20 games in basketball each season. 

Edited by swmckewon

17 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

It would be nice to pickup a 4 as Mendelson could very well not see any time til after conference play has started. With the VB team loaded they could play into the final four.

here are the dates for vb tourney:

2022 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Tournament will begin on
Thursday
December 1
and ends on
Saturday
December 17

from Maddie's hs recruiting:

"The 5-foot-10 guard will be a junior at Millard South this season. Last week Denver and Northern Colorado joined the list of schools offering her a scholarship.
South Dakota, South Dakota State, Wyoming, Colorado State, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, UNO, Drake and Minnesota had already offered. Nebraska, Dayton, Wichita State, UMKC and Princeton are in regular contact and could follow suit."

Career Stats

STATS
2021-22
2020-21

GP MIN PTS REB AST STL BLK TO FG% 3P% FT% PF
35 31.5 6.8 4.1 2.1 1.3 0.4 1.4 36.1 30.8 74.1 2.1
25 31.0 9.2 3.8 2.3 1.0 0.2 1.4 37.3 22.4 70.5 2.2

Edited by whoopdeedoo