Husker Lose Another Home Grown Talent - sigh

Tom Jones

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/girls-basketball/lincoln-high-s-nyayongah-gony-a-top--girls-basketball/article_f85d3049-e392-5cdf-90d2-2658eb34bd5f.html

not sure how much fans can assess the squad with the non-con schedule they are going to play either. may have to wait till they get in to the big ten schedule. 

I just sent this message via Huskers.com:     My question for the athletic dept is ...  why is there a near total lack of marketing of women's basketball? ???  I can recall only two articles in the newspapers in the last few months - and one of those was to announce that tickets were available for purchase.  Why would the public purchase tickets to see a product they never hear about.  I understand the excitement about HCFH, but must it be done to the near TOTAL exclusion of any info about WBB?  Mr. Moos, it's time to show some support and drum up some enthusiasm for the seemingly forgotten WBB program 

I will go back the fact that the volleyball team was built from in state talent.  Coach Pettit went to high schools all across the state to drum enthusiasm and get local players and coaches invested.  Going 0 for 3 in D1 signees leaves a bad taste,  particularly since 1 is #71 nationally and another is #56 nationally.

We really need to market and sell our program better.

We meaning fans, media and coaches. Gauging by the number of  D1 signees in volleyball and soccer, I refuse to believe the talent isn't here.  If it's not the talent, it's the interest level. 0 for says all I need to know about interest.

12 hours ago, caveman said:

I will go back the fact that the volleyball team was built from in state talent.  Coach Pettit went to high schools all across the state to drum enthusiasm and get local players and coaches invested.  Going 0 for 3 in D1 signees leaves a bad taste,  particularly since 1 is #71 nationally and another is #56 nationally.

We really need to market and sell our program better.

We meaning fans, media and coaches. Gauging by the number of  D1 signees in volleyball and soccer, I refuse to believe the talent isn't here.  If it's not the talent, it's the interest level. 0 for says all I need to know about interest.

Agree.   The lack of visibility is inexcusable.  The combination of a disappointing season and absence of any information regarding the upcoming season, has me wondering if this staff is up to the task.  Not sure if that is fair or not.  How would we know?  What is being done to get us back on track?  Keep the fans in the loop.   And, shame on the OWH and LJS.  Do your job.                 

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Is it conceivable that she wanted to get away from Lincoln?

Yes, of course.

But....do we do enough to make a recruit believe NU is right ...for a recruit to stay in state?....as in this case.

And...I kind of think there is validity in searching the "500 mile" area for recruiting prospects. (like Frost has said)

What is really an eye opener is Iowa State. We recently were both going for a Nebraska girl as a recruit. Iowa Sate got her commitment. That made me look at Iowa St's other recruits ....

...was amazed to see they have 4 top 100 recruits coming in and they're all in the 500 mile recruiting area distance.  What are they doing to make that happen?

Edited by redsteve

11 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Is it conceivable that she wanted to get away from Lincoln?

Very possible.  But, who would know.  There is a serious communication void between Nebraska University women's basketball and their fan base.  Without information sharing, one can speculate, there is apathy at the administration level, coaches are not putting in an effort, staff is incompetent, 2020 recruiting is a dumpster fire, etc.  Probably untrue, but we have nothing telling us otherwise.       

Mr. Moos, Amy, OWH, LJS, someone, throw us a scrap now and then.

Red Steve what Isu is doing is averaging about 10,000 fans a gm attendance which I believe is top 3 in country. Yep that sells — plus like it or not kids from within 500 miles south of Lincoln get pulled hard by big 12 schools which is probably overall a better Wbb league than big 10 and their families can easily get to big 12 tourney n Kc and see lots of road games — and can say with certainty from first hand knowledge NU staff works their asses off and are first class people.  We had 8 kids on campus I believe for Ohio state gm last week — and yes we have come up short on a few top 100 kids lately n 2020 class and it hurts but if u r trying for top kids that everybody else is trying for too it happens sometimes. Kids can only pick one school 

Edited by kansashusker

50 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Red Steve what Isu is doing is averaging about 10,000 fans a gm attendance which I believe is top 3 in country. Yep that sells — plus like it or not kids from within 500 miles south of Lincoln get pulled hard by big 12 schools which is probably overall a better Wbb league than big 10 and their families can easily get to big 12 tourney n Kc and see lots of road games — and can say with certainty from first hand knowledge NU staff works their asses off and are first class people.  We had 8 kids on campus I believe for Ohio state gm last week — and yes we have come up short on a few top 100 kids lately n 2020 class and it hurts but if u r trying for top kids that everybody else is trying for too it happens sometimes. Kids can only pick one school 

Yep, I know what Iowa St is doing. Just pointing it out for discussion. 

And nope we don't get them all...even Cook

Been actively watching recruiting evolve for several decades in all sports, so pretty much understand he dynamics of how it works. 

How the NU women's recruiting evolves ...time will tell of course. But I will say we have a ways to go.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, kansashusker said:

If they had 8 kids on campus, why the radio silence?  If they are working their asses off, why not promote themselves and their program?  Nebraska finished 22nd in attendance last year. This was with limited success on the floor.  Fans are not the problem.   Also, I believe the BIG 10 had seven NCAA tournament bids last year to the BIG 12's four, so not sure which is the better WBB league.  Yes, I'm a bit on the frustrated side.  

Listen I love the big 10 and I am not under selling it. But if u Google womens college basketball Rpi generally I think big 12 is higher (4 out of last 5 years. —Big 10 was higher in 17-18 season when we went to ncaa tourney)  — Baylor won a national campionship last year and u play everybody twice. Sure Baylor didn’t help anybody else’s record. —   If u follow neb women’s bball on Twitter there is a lot of promotion and fun stuff.  But I think it is against the rules for staff to comment on recruits. That has to come from reporters —— we have a great staff. Our 2018 class was a top 20 class and our freshman had good freshman seasons. By all accounts our current freshman r good and incude a potential difference maker from Australia who gives us a big who can play on the perimeter and make good decisions with the basketball. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/huskerswbb

Edited by kansashusker

2 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Listen I love the big 10 and I am not under selling it. But if u Google womens college basketball Rpi generally I think big 12 is higher (4 out of last 5 years. —Big 10 was higher in 17-18 season when we went to ncaa tourney)  — Baylor won a national campionship last year and u play everybody twice. Sure Baylor didn’t help anybody else’s record. —   If u follow neb women’s bball on Twitter there is a lot of promotion and fun stuff.  But I think it is against the rules for staff to comment on recruits. That has to come from reporters —— we have a great staff. Our 2018 class was a top 20 class and our freshman had good freshman seasons. By all accounts our current freshman r good and incude a potential difference maker from Australia who gives us a big who can play on the perimeter and make good decisions with the basketball. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/huskerswbb

I got blocked from the women's twitter account. for making a comment on a web site that they were promoting. 

10 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Just curious do we have any names?After all researching a few prospects is always fun.