Sign in to follow this  
49r

2019-2020 KenPom Rankings Thread

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Miles said on his podcast that he would screen shot KenPom every month

It's baffling to me to think about why that would even be worthwhile.  Did he go into any further details on that?

53 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Just saw Penn St, Colorado & Creighton are all 75-1 to win the National Title...!

In the modern era of the NCAA tournament (generally regarded as since 1979 on although an argument can be made for 1978 which is the first year seeding was used or 1985 when it went to 64 teams but I digress) the three teams mentioned there have combined for a grand total of 1 Sweet 16 appearance.  PSU in 2001.

Teams that claim "Sweet 16" or "Elite 8" appearances prior to that time are being a bit disingenuous, seeing as how the field prior to that time was so small a team could get a bye into the round of 16.  But again I digress.

It also must be acknowledged that no team west of the Mississippi has won a championship other than Kansas (2008) since Arizona did it 23 years ago.  And in the last 54 years only 5 schools west of the Mississippi has won it.  13 schools west of the Mississippi have ever done it.  And the 8 that did it last prior to 1967 was during a time when most of the east coast schools competed in the more prestigious (at the time) NIT tournament instead of the upstart NCAA tournament.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Just saw Penn St, Colorado & Creighton are all 75-1 to win the National Title...!

So, if you were to put $10,000 on Creighton to win it all, and they did, and you won $750,000, would you still be pissed off because Creighton won?

I believe that I would be.

13 minutes ago, 49r said:

In the modern era of the NCAA tournament (generally regarded as since 1979 on although an argument can be made for 1978 which is the first year seeding was used or 1985 when it went to 64 teams but I digress) the three teams mentioned there have combined for a grand total of 1 Sweet 16 appearance.  PSU in 2001.

Teams that claim "Sweet 16" or "Elite 8" appearances prior to that time are being a bit disingenuous, seeing as how the field prior to that time was so small a team could get a bye into the round of 16.  But again I digress.

It also must be acknowledged that no team west of the Mississippi has won a championship other than Kansas (2008) since Arizona did it 23 years ago.  And in the last 54 years only 5 schools west of the Mississippi has won it.  13 schools west of the Mississippi have ever done it.  And the 8 that did it last prior to 1967 was during a time when most of the east coast schools competed in the more prestigious (at the time) NIT tournament instead of the upstart NCAA tournament.

SO... yer saying I should bet on Kansas? 🙂🙂🙂

*Editors note* I should mention I won the Tournament bracket in TWO different bars last year. In one of them I failed to pick the winner but accumulated so many points in the early rounds that I nipped my opponent @ the wire.... kidding aside, that is a fascinating “deep dive” you lay out there 49er, thanks 🙏 

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

SO... yer saying I should bet on Kansas? 🙂🙂🙂

Nah...Bill Self is a notorious choker when it comes to the NCAA tourney.  🤣  

Oregon might be a better "west of the Mississippi" bet IMO.  Payton Pritchard is the kind of player that can take a team DEEP into the tourney, plus he's been to the Final 4 before already.

Speaking of historic interest, 49er's post and the fact that I am presently reading a book on CCNY's NCAA championship (and scandal) in 1950 made me look up all of the NCAA winners since 1930. Of course that includes UCLA's Wooden era. Using that yardstick, West Coast teams outnumber Big !0 champions, 16-11. Brought back some memories too. I vaguely recall KU's Phog Allen and Clyde Lovellette team of 1952. The first game I remember listening to on the radio was the Tom Gola- led LaSalle team in 1954. The first game I saw on tv (since we didn't get one until 1957) was the triple overtime classic that year when North Carolina beat Wilt's KU team in triple overtime. It was only televised locally because it happened to be played at the old KC Municipal Auditorium (we could only get reception from Kansas City since we lived nearby). Didn't much matter because there were only three networks, anyway. Times seem to have changed a bit, but at least the ball is still round.  

San Diego St, Gonzaga, Kansas and Baylor could all be possible #1 seeds West of the Mississippi River.  Won’t happen.  My earliest TV memory of NCAA Tourney is Don Haskins Texas Western group beating Pat Riley, Tommy Kron, Thad Jarasz, Larry Conley and Louis Dampier’s Kentucky squad.  

And don't forget that Moe Iba was the assistant on the 1966 Texas Western team. Interesting sidenotes: KU would have been playing in that game if instant replay had been available because JoJo White drained a game winning shot in overtime against them in the regionals but one of the two refs thought he had stepped out of bounds. Also, my brother-in-law attended the same high school in El Paso (Austin) as reserve guard David Palacio on that team.

No major changes except Purdue shooting up about 15 spots and Maryland moves past Sparty for the top spot.

Here's today's KenPom update.

KenPom rankings as of 02-09-20
==========================

B1G (2-10)
8. Maryland
10. Michigan State
11. Ohio State - L
13. Purdue - W
14. Penn State - L
18. Iowa - W, L
22. Michigan - L
27. Illinois
28. Rutgers - L, L
31. Minnesota
34. Wisconsin - L
46. Indiana - L, L
119. Northwestern - L
138. Nebraska

Non-Conference (5-6)
214. UC Riverside - L
133. Southern Utah - L
111. South Dakota State - W
305. Southern - W

---Cayman Islands Classic---
131. Washington State - W
171. George Mason - L
122. South Florida - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
85. @Georgia Tech - L

25. @Creighton - L
229. North Dakota - L
288. Texas A&M Corpus Christi - W

2 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d ALMOST forgotten we lost to North Dakota (and it wasn’t a Hockey game)

The BIG season has been disappointing, to say the least, but we had a complete roster rebuild and the league is unbelievably strong. it's the noncon that I still can't fathom. We lost three at home to really bad teams. Could see maybe one game like that, but not three. Oh, well.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The BIG season has been disappointing, to say the least, but we had a complete roster rebuild and the league is unbelievably strong. it's the noncon that I still can't fathom. We lost three at home to really bad teams. Could see maybe one game like that, but not three. Oh, well.

That UC Riverside opener set an ominous tone...

In terms of 'worst KenPom ranking by a new Nebraska coach', Fred is walking the line

2013    136    Tim Miles

2020    132    Fred Hoiberg

2001    83    Barry Collier

2007    82    Doc Sadler

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’ve GOTTA believe we’ve got at least 2-3 wins left in us. Maybe a little run in the B1G ala last spring, end the season on a high note, then the “Big Payback” tour begins!

Man, after that MD game, I'm still hoping for that 10+ win season for NU. GBR nonetheless

On 2/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, hhcmatt said:

In terms of 'worst KenPom ranking by a new Nebraska coach', Fred is walking the line

2013    136    Tim Miles

2020    132    Fred Hoiberg

2001    83    Barry Collier

2007    82    Doc Sadler

Whenever I get a little worried about if Fred is gonna get this ship turned around, I just go take a peek at https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/ and I can almost instantly find something over there that assures me that we'll be just fine. 

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Whenever I get a little worried about if Fred is gonna get this ship turned around, I just go take a peek at https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/ and I can almost instantly find something over there that assures me that we'll be just fine. 

Not real sure I'm ready to commit to drinking any amount of Natty Light

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 49r
      Inspired by a thread I found on another Big Ten team's message board regarding historical KenPom rankings, I went through and compiled some rankings data for Nebraska.  This 30,000 foot view of where we have been over nearly the past two decades has been interesting to me, some thoughts about this info to follow:

Year - Coach ----- Starting -- High -- Low -- Final -- (Strength of Schedule)
      ==============================================
      2002 - Collier (13-15) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #103 -- (#75)
      2003 - Collier (11-18) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #138 -- (#25)
      2004 - Collier (18-13) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #40 ---- (#86)
      2005 - Collier (14-14) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #80 ---- (#67)
      2006 - Collier (19-14) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #111 -- (#90)
      2007 - Sadler (17-14) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #82 ---- (#60)
      2008 - Sadler (20-13) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #39 ---- (#69)
      2009 - Sadler (18-13) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #63 ---- (#58)
      2010 - Sadler (15-18) -- N/A -- N/A --- N/A --- #93 ---- (#47)
      2011 - Sadler (19-13) -- #76 -- #34 --- #81 --- #64 ---- (#77)
      2012 - Sadler (12-18) -- #53 -- #51 --- #158 -- #152 -- (#11)
      2013 - Miles (15-18) -- #214 -- #127 - #218 -- #136 -- (#8)
      2014 - Miles (19-13) -- #123 -- #44 -- #123 -- #56 ---- (#18)
      2015 - Miles (13-18) -- #36 ---- #34 -- #131 -- #121 -- (#43)
      2016 - Miles (16-18) -- #139 -- #79 -- #156 -- #85 ---- (#73)
      2017 - Miles (12-19) -- #85 ---- #71 -- #105 -- #107 -- (#14)
      2018 - Miles (22-11) -- #97 ---- #50 -- #114 -- #55 ---- (#59)
      2019 - Miles (19-17) -- #38 ---- #11 -- #45 ---- #47 ---- (#9)

Initial take aways for me
      The move to the Big Ten.  That move has had a MAJOR impact on our Strength of Schedule, probably has been the single most significant factor in our KenPom ranking over time. Miles' rankings indicate that he may not have actually elevated the program with much significance over the Collier/Sadler eras, however, SOS improvement may be a factor at play. KenPom uses historical data to influence rankings moving forward, and it appears we are definitely trending upward.  It will be interesting how the trend continues under Hoiberg, and with that said...  
      Here is the same info for Hoiberg's tenure at Iowa State:

Year -------- Starting -- High -- Low -- Final -- (Strength of Schedule)
      ========================================
      2011 - (16-16) -- #175 -- #32 -- #175 -- #81 -- (#78)
      2012 - (23-11) -- #120 -- #26 -- #125 -- #26 -- (#32)
      2013 - (23-12) -- #62 ---- #26 -- #65 ---- #30 -- (#50)
      2014 - (28-8) ---- #39 ---- #10 -- #39 ---- #20 -- (#4)
      2015 - (25-9) ---- #25 ---- #14 -- #32 ---- #16 -- (#6)

Take aways here
      McDermott left Iowa State in a shambles it seems, and even though his record in year 1 was lackluster, Hoiberg did in fact improve the team that year The turnaround there was shocking and nearly instantaneous Improvement was significant and sustained, look at the Strength of Schedule component!  

So what do you guys think?  Comments are welcome.  If someone would like to go through and compile some recruiting rankings data, it would be interesting to compare the two.
    • By 49r
      October is here, practice has begun and that can mean only one thing.  It's time once again to start the KenPom ranking thread!  For the first time in a while Nebraska will be starting off in the middle of the B1G pack.  We're hoping to build on last season's success and maybe do some pretty great things this season.  We finished last year at #55, no idea where Ken will have us to start, but Bart Torvik's T-Rank system (which is pretty similar to KenPom) currently has us at #36, good for 5th best in the B1G.

Once again I'm going to start the thread with each team's rank to start the previous year (in parenthesis) and how they finished.  Additionally, the teams on our schedule that made the postseason are color coded with the round the team lost noted.  NCAA is in Red and NIT in Blue.

Finally, don't forget to click here to see all the previous years' KenPom threads (I highly recommend going back through them, they're always fun to read).  Here we go!

KenPom rankings as of 4-02-18
      =========================   B1G (0-0): (17) -> 5. Purdue S16 (10) -> 6. Michigan State R32 (34) -> 7. Michigan NCAA Title Game (78) -> 16. Ohio State R32 (40) -> 19. Penn State NIT Champions (41) -> 39. Maryland
      (97) -> 55. Nebraska 1st RD
      (31) -> 70. Wisconsin
      (65) -> 71. Indiana (18) -> 85. Northwestern (54) -> 88. Iowa
      (104) -> 102. Illinois (36) -> 117. Minnesota (125) -> 130. Rutgers
          Non-Conference (0-0): 348. Mississippi Valley State 199. Southeastern Louisiana   ---Gavitt Tip-Off--- 26. Seton Hall R32   ---Hall of Fame Classic--- 120. Missouri State 11. / 51. Texas Tech  E8 / Southern Cal 2nd RD   293. Western Illinois   ---B1G/ACC Challenge---  14. @Clemson S16   30. Creighton R64   ---Sanford Pentagon-- 59. Oklahoma State 3rd RD   162. Cal State Fullerton R64 n/a. Southwest Minnesota State
    • By 49r
      Now that practice has started, I think it's close enough to the season to get the KenPom thread for this year going again (and also to beat Actuary to the punch on starting the KenPom thread, finally).

So, here are the final KenPom rankings for last year with our 2015-16 schedule.  I expect the new rankings to come out in a couple weeks but for now this should be a decent enough spot to start some discussion.

I can see Goodman's point, it does look kinda cupcake-y, but also there's quite a few games that will be much bigger challenges.  What do you think???

KenPom rankings as of 4-06-15.
      ===========================   B1G (0-0): 3. Wisconsin 15. Michigan State 19. Iowa 21. Ohio State 32. Maryland 48. Purdue 53. Indiana 58. Minnesota 69. Illinois 75. Michigan 82. Penn State 118. Northwestern 133. Nebraska 215. Rutgers   Non-Conference (0-0): 347. Mississippi Valley State   ---Gavitt Tipoff Games--- 6. @Villanova   255. Delaware State   ---Barclay's Center Classic--- 312. Southeastern Louisiana 323. Arkansas Pine-Bluff 34. Cincinnati 74. George Washington, 89. Tennessee   ---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 46. Miami   335. Abilene Christian 85. @Creighton 56. Rhode Island 283. Samford 303. Prairie View A&M
    • By 49r
      Well, folks, it's getting to be that time of year again.  Nights are getting cooler (finally), football season is well underway, soon the leaves will be turning, and 49r is starting the KenPom Rankings Thread.  

For anyone interested in viewing last year's thread, you can click here.

We're going to start off this year as always with the upcoming schedule and each team's final rankings from last season, and there is no doubt #98 is not anywhere near where your Huskers are gonna be starting off in the initial KenPom Rankings due around the end of the month.

If I were a betting man, I would say we'll probably be lucky to start off in the top 150 this year, once again putting us squarely in the bottom four of the B1G.  The good news is the guys will have plenty of opportunities early on in the season to make quick jumps up the KenPom rankings with some wins.

So without further ado, here we go!  Hope everyone enjoys!

KenPom rankings as of 4-04-16.
      ==========================   B1G (0-0): 5. Michigan State 14. Purdue 15. Indiana 23. Iowa  25. Maryland 33. Wisconsin 58. Michigan 78. Northwestern 80. Ohio State 98. Nebraska 132. Illinois 146. Penn State 223. Minnesota 291. Rutgers   Non-Conference (0-0): 284. Sacramento State nr. University of Mary 152. Louisiana Tech   ---DirecTV Wooden Legacy--- 59. Dayton 79. / 214. UCLA / Portland 19. / 57./ 126. / 239. Texas A&M / Virginia Tech / New Mexico / Cal State Northridge   ---B1G/ACC Challenge---  48. @Clemson   221. South Dakota 37. Creighton 4. @Kansas 225. Gardner Webb 231. Southern
    • By HuskerActuary
      KenPom's preseason rankings are released. We are #34. I'll let 49r do his usual, thorough analysis if he wants to.

There are 11 Big Ten teams in the top 40.