2019-2020 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

53 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Just saw Penn St, Colorado & Creighton are all 75-1 to win the National Title...!

In the modern era of the NCAA tournament (generally regarded as since 1979 on although an argument can be made for 1978 which is the first year seeding was used or 1985 when it went to 64 teams but I digress) the three teams mentioned there have combined for a grand total of 1 Sweet 16 appearance.  PSU in 2001.

Teams that claim "Sweet 16" or "Elite 8" appearances prior to that time are being a bit disingenuous, seeing as how the field prior to that time was so small a team could get a bye into the round of 16.  But again I digress.

It also must be acknowledged that no team west of the Mississippi has won a championship other than Kansas (2008) since Arizona did it 23 years ago.  And in the last 54 years only 5 schools west of the Mississippi has won it.  13 schools west of the Mississippi have ever done it.  And the 8 that did it last prior to 1967 was during a time when most of the east coast schools competed in the more prestigious (at the time) NIT tournament instead of the upstart NCAA tournament.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Just saw Penn St, Colorado & Creighton are all 75-1 to win the National Title...!

So, if you were to put $10,000 on Creighton to win it all, and they did, and you won $750,000, would you still be pissed off because Creighton won?

I believe that I would be.

13 minutes ago, 49r said:

In the modern era of the NCAA tournament (generally regarded as since 1979 on although an argument can be made for 1978 which is the first year seeding was used or 1985 when it went to 64 teams but I digress) the three teams mentioned there have combined for a grand total of 1 Sweet 16 appearance.  PSU in 2001.

Teams that claim "Sweet 16" or "Elite 8" appearances prior to that time are being a bit disingenuous, seeing as how the field prior to that time was so small a team could get a bye into the round of 16.  But again I digress.

It also must be acknowledged that no team west of the Mississippi has won a championship other than Kansas (2008) since Arizona did it 23 years ago.  And in the last 54 years only 5 schools west of the Mississippi has won it.  13 schools west of the Mississippi have ever done it.  And the 8 that did it last prior to 1967 was during a time when most of the east coast schools competed in the more prestigious (at the time) NIT tournament instead of the upstart NCAA tournament.

SO... yer saying I should bet on Kansas? 🙂🙂🙂

*Editors note* I should mention I won the Tournament bracket in TWO different bars last year. In one of them I failed to pick the winner but accumulated so many points in the early rounds that I nipped my opponent @ the wire.... kidding aside, that is a fascinating “deep dive” you lay out there 49er, thanks 🙏 

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

SO... yer saying I should bet on Kansas? 🙂🙂🙂

Nah...Bill Self is a notorious choker when it comes to the NCAA tourney.  🤣  

Oregon might be a better "west of the Mississippi" bet IMO.  Payton Pritchard is the kind of player that can take a team DEEP into the tourney, plus he's been to the Final 4 before already.

Speaking of historic interest, 49er's post and the fact that I am presently reading a book on CCNY's NCAA championship (and scandal) in 1950 made me look up all of the NCAA winners since 1930. Of course that includes UCLA's Wooden era. Using that yardstick, West Coast teams outnumber Big !0 champions, 16-11. Brought back some memories too. I vaguely recall KU's Phog Allen and Clyde Lovellette team of 1952. The first game I remember listening to on the radio was the Tom Gola- led LaSalle team in 1954. The first game I saw on tv (since we didn't get one until 1957) was the triple overtime classic that year when North Carolina beat Wilt's KU team in triple overtime. It was only televised locally because it happened to be played at the old KC Municipal Auditorium (we could only get reception from Kansas City since we lived nearby). Didn't much matter because there were only three networks, anyway. Times seem to have changed a bit, but at least the ball is still round.  

San Diego St, Gonzaga, Kansas and Baylor could all be possible #1 seeds West of the Mississippi River.  Won’t happen.  My earliest TV memory of NCAA Tourney is Don Haskins Texas Western group beating Pat Riley, Tommy Kron, Thad Jarasz, Larry Conley and Louis Dampier’s Kentucky squad.  

And don't forget that Moe Iba was the assistant on the 1966 Texas Western team. Interesting sidenotes: KU would have been playing in that game if instant replay had been available because JoJo White drained a game winning shot in overtime against them in the regionals but one of the two refs thought he had stepped out of bounds. Also, my brother-in-law attended the same high school in El Paso (Austin) as reserve guard David Palacio on that team.

No major changes except Purdue shooting up about 15 spots and Maryland moves past Sparty for the top spot.

Here's today's KenPom update.

KenPom rankings as of 02-09-20
==========================

B1G (2-10)
8. Maryland
10. Michigan State
11. Ohio State - L
13. Purdue - W
14. Penn State - L
18. Iowa - W, L
22. Michigan - L
27. Illinois
28. Rutgers - L, L
31. Minnesota
34. Wisconsin - L
46. Indiana - L, L
119. Northwestern - L
138. Nebraska

Non-Conference (5-6)
214. UC Riverside - L
133. Southern Utah - L
111. South Dakota State - W
305. Southern - W

---Cayman Islands Classic---
131. Washington State - W
171. George Mason - L
122. South Florida - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
85. @Georgia Tech - L

25. @Creighton - L
229. North Dakota - L
288. Texas A&M Corpus Christi - W

2 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d ALMOST forgotten we lost to North Dakota (and it wasn’t a Hockey game)

The BIG season has been disappointing, to say the least, but we had a complete roster rebuild and the league is unbelievably strong. it's the noncon that I still can't fathom. We lost three at home to really bad teams. Could see maybe one game like that, but not three. Oh, well.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The BIG season has been disappointing, to say the least, but we had a complete roster rebuild and the league is unbelievably strong. it's the noncon that I still can't fathom. We lost three at home to really bad teams. Could see maybe one game like that, but not three. Oh, well.

That UC Riverside opener set an ominous tone...

On 2/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, hhcmatt said:

In terms of 'worst KenPom ranking by a new Nebraska coach', Fred is walking the line

2013    136    Tim Miles

2020    132    Fred Hoiberg

2001    83    Barry Collier

2007    82    Doc Sadler

Whenever I get a little worried about if Fred is gonna get this ship turned around, I just go take a peek at https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/ and I can almost instantly find something over there that assures me that we'll be just fine. 

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Whenever I get a little worried about if Fred is gonna get this ship turned around, I just go take a peek at https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/ and I can almost instantly find something over there that assures me that we'll be just fine. 

Not real sure I'm ready to commit to drinking any amount of Natty Light