Because all the big dudes fouled out?

Norm Peterson

38 minutes ago, 49r said:

That's average, though. So, 2 1/2 inches combined. And that's likely represented by one player. So, a 6'9 guy goes out and a 6'6 guy comes in to end the game.  And that could be because your 6'9 guy fouled out or because he can't shoot free-throws. Or because small ball is more successful at the end of a game when teams need to hit threes.

1. big dudes do foul out a lot

2. free throw shooters are more valuable once you're in the bonus, especially in the second half

3. big dudes typically have less endurance, so are less likely to be fresh at the end of halves

4. tall guys often get the benefit of doubt to be a starter, even if they're not one of the 5 best players on the team

5. Somebody has to do that whole jump ball thing at the start of the game (I seem to remember Chris Balham ONLY doing the opening jump before being subbed out in a few games)

I think those five reasons combined can explain a height disparity that is smaller than my fingernail.