2021 Recruits

Bugeaters1

So the 20-21 season is good news in terms of getting some transfers to bolster the team plus the recruits that we are in line for in 2021.     However, (as I have said before) the major problem and bad news  is we have the same coaching staff which has proven to be ineffective in improving and  in fixing problems.  Several things  have remained issues with the current coaching staff the last few seasons to include turnovers; lack of offensive rebounding; defensive issues at times; numerous missed close in shots; and questionable offensive schemes/development particularly for the 4/5 position players.  So unless the current staff gets some coaching acumen, it looks like the 2020-21 NE women's basketball team will likely be another season of mediocrity  or less.  Recruiting is only part of trying to get better, but improved coaching is paramount!!!

News article in todays OWH about Popa.

Talks about how Popa spoke to Cain (from east coast also) and it helped Popa make the decision to commit.  Popa had talked to coaches (and Cain) about how she'll be used, the city of Lincoln, and Cain told Popa it's basically a college town, etc.  Popa got good vibes about team chemistry, and she just felt more and more comfortable.  She's seen and heard a lot in her  years in the recruiting cycle.

Other things in the article we kind of already know. Her playing at several high schools, teams, etc. But really think she, Coley and Moriarity will make a great set of classmates. May well compliment each other on the court. The 2021 class is really a nice one already...could end up being coaches best class?.

Edited by redsteve

• 3 weeks later...

she is a jewel.  I saw her play a few times this year - and all three of her games at the state tourney.  In my non-pro opinion she, along with JH, JS and MI  of course, will go down as one of the four  best girl's hoopsters this state has ever produced.  She looked to me to have it all .... physical structure, composure, reflexes & body control, court movement, teamwork, and endurance.  Of all those, i would stress composure.  She just looks as tho she is totally  in control of what happens in the lane. It is a quiet confidence that she will dictate what happens.  And she can back it up.  IMO, on athletic ability,  she belongs in a P5 conference.  But i am sure she has her reasons for having chosen SoDak and i hope everyone respects her choice

Edited by Tom Jones
i stupidly omitted Jess Shepard

SDSU getting 2021's Markowski and Haliegh Timmer from RC St Thomas More  was a bit of a surprise for fans. not many thought they would choose the Jackrabbits, especially Timmer and thought she would go P5.  Don't know much about Markowski, but, have seen Timmer in the State Tourney's. I think she has the potential to be one of the Jackrabbits best ever. at one time i was going to ask if Huskers were looking at Timmer, but, then saw she had committed to the Jackrabbits.

maybe someone could refresh my memory...did the Huskers offer Markowski? or even talk to her? if they did, maybe she told the staff she was not interested in playing at home? 

I think all coaches miss on players from time to time. Even when they are in their own back yard. Connie missed some so Amy will be no different. 
But Connie did get her fair share of them and so far I don't know that Amy has

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Recruiting is a tough, tough business.

We just will never know about the conversations that go on between recruits and coaches. Let alone the thought processes going on by the staff. 

Some look like Amy misses to me too, but there's a lot of things involved that we never see....and other team's coaches are very good recruiters too. These days charisma of coaches is as important as the ability  to coach.

When Shimmy was here she could draw in recruits big time. Just look at the list of recruits we signed (and those seriously considering us)......in Connie's last two or three years. Connie could get  the best out of her players....even though she was a little tough at times. 

But it's all ancient history now. 

jmo, i think amy has the charisma----i just think it may be her coaching at this level. it's tough. i'm pulling for her and would really like to see her become successful at Nebraska. she has to prove herself----soon. i'm really torn about last season. i could see an argument for personality conflicts. i really hope chemistry comes together in 2020 and beyond.

• 3 weeks later...

We have some nice recruits coming in now, plus more in the next two years. Definitely some talent coming on board. 

I've seen enough of how Coach runs the teams. This coming season is the time we take the next step in program improvement.. Coach has been here through several classes....no doubt Rome  wasn't built in a day. These days players come... and they go. 

As already stated in other posts, not getting the Fremont girl in indicative of our situation, as she has pretty much said. ...gathered from reading between the lines.

Just hope we have turned the corner both in personnel and coaching.  I'm all for the girls...they appear to work hard. Great personalities.

Like someone else also said.....with the staff that has been here several season now, less than 50% winning this coming season is a probably an issue.

If there's no preseason games....it's not to our benefit.....too many "newbies" that haven't played together.  But, I suspect we're not the only B1G team with the same issue.

Just waiting this corona thing out...I'm optimistic  that we play the schedule, and real hopeful we get our act together. early.  

• 2 weeks later...

OMG what wonderful news this is. We (or at least I) needed something to take the stink and stain off the lost FB season.  I have written earlier on here what I observed of Ms. AM at the state tourney.   Her performance in those three games was on the short list of the most impressive display of talent, focus, determination, and outright dominance that I have ever seen among girls BB players.  Not one bit of show boating either ... She was part of her team not a one girl show. Congrats to coach Willliams and her staff and recruiting this outstanding athlete.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:45 AM, HUD said:

Thanks for the article.  I hadn't seen it before.  Having a long 6' guard who makes an effort to play great defense is what we need going forward.  Now if we could just get Alexis Markowski to reconsider we would have a great 2021 recruiting class.  GBR

Wish granted!!  Since that last post we have added Tatiana as well.  Next great news will hopefully be that we will have a WBB season this winter.  GBR

Edited by HUD
correction

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...