2021 Recruits

Bugeaters1

21 hours ago, HB said:

She was better in day 2.  Scored 39.  But a lot of work left on her outside shot.  Amy was in attendance at her game.  

I was at her game when she scored 39 and watched her game on TV today.  I was excited to see a point guard who is very athletic, fast especially taking the ball to the hoop, a great free through shooter and generator and a great passer.  The outside shot will come but she has skills I haven't seen on our team at point guard for a long time.  She is a good rebounder and plays good defense.  Seems to me to be a real gamer.  The big question to me is our player development under this staff at NU.  I am scratching my head to come up with a player who consistently got better these last 4 years.

I think almost every player improved from AWY#1 to AWY#2. And with the influx of freshman talent in AWY#3, I was so hopeful.  Even when AWY#3 tuned out to be sub 500, I thought that with another year of maturity, skill development, and familiarity with each other, year 4 would be like the spring bloom in a field of daffodils.  as of the first Iowa game, the crocuses and tulips were out.  And then ......    What happened after that is a mystery to me. 

8 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

the big ten conference happened.

that non-con had many believing they were better than they really were. i don't like being negative, but, i still had many questions after the non-con was completed. 

And not beating the teams that u are suppose to beat by 20 to 25 pts. was a tell tale sign.

2 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

the big ten conference happened.

that non-con had many believing they were better than they really were. i don't like being negative, but, i still had many questions after the non-con was completed. 

I think that may be a little too easy of an answer.  For example we won 3 of our first four conference games, including Iowa by 9 points (all without Taylor Kissinger who last played contributing 19 pts in the win over Duke); and losing 9 of the final 13 games.   I believe the heart-breaking OT loss to Mich State, and close loss to Rutgers followed by the Maryland drubbing really shook the confidence of this team, which it never fully regained.   For some reason the team seemed to lose its poise, and ability to close out games, even after getting down in the first half and rallying in the second to stay in the game.

Edited by Red Don

14 hours ago, Red Don said:

I think that may be a little too easy of an answer.  For example we won 3 of our first four conference games, including Iowa by 9 points (all without Taylor Kissinger who last played contributing 19 pts in the win over Duke); and losing 9 of the final 13 games.   I believe the heart-breaking OT loss to Mich State, and close loss to Rutgers followed by the Maryland drubbing really shook the confidence of this team, which it never fully regained.   For some reason the team seemed to lose its poise, and ability to close out games, even after getting down in the first half and rallying in the second to stay in the game.

yes, they beat Duke............however, i watched a couple of Duke's games lately and seriously doubt Huskers beat THIS Duke squad. they are playing much better basketball than when they played the Huskers. going into that game i believed Duke had better all around athleticism and talent than the Huskers. still, it was a 'W'. i still think that OSU loss was the hardest "gut punch" than any of the other losses. it was so obvious in the body language......really made a fan wonder if they could bounce back. they never really did. 

imo, even starting out with the conf wins, teams that were athletic (footwork, close out fast on players, etc---whatever you choose to call it) were gonna cause problems for the Huskers. i think that proved to be very true.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

footwork, close out fast on players, etc---whatever you choose to call it) were gonna cause problems for the Huskers. i think that proved to be very true.

When your starters at two key positions PG and CTR are slow of foot and unable to create shots for themselves and teammates by taking the ball to the hoop it has a real negative effect on your offense and defense as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Husker22 said:

As a Minnesotan I've seen Coley quite a few times. Shes got alot of potential but shes really inconsistent, she likes to hang out at the 3 pt line and doesnt always give consistent effort. High upside player, hopefully the huskers can maximize her potential.

She fits in well with the mens team, hanging out beyond the 3 line.

Been plenty of criticisms on the board of not recruiting well enough.  I haven’t paid attention to our 2021 class and/or even who we were after.  Howeve am I reading correctly we now have 2  four star top 40 commitments in 2021 class ?  If so looks like that class is shaping up extremely well and could be a top 15 class with another solid addition — have we ever had 2 top 40 Kids in the same class before? 

Edited by kansashusker

11 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Been plenty of criticisms on the board of not recruiting well enough.  I haven’t paid attention to our 2021 class and/or even who we were after.  Howeve am I reading correctly we now have 2  four star top 40 commitments in 2021 class ?  If so looks like that class is shaping up extremely well and could be a top 15 class with another solid addition — have we ever had 2 top 40 Kids in the same class before? 

Don't believe so, but not entirely certain.  Recognized that when I googled Coley, then also Moriarity's name came up. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Perhaps Cook wasn't that interested?  Or can you provide any insights?

no, tried to ask around but nobody seemed to know too much just that Louisville had been after her for quite awhile. nice athletic player. would really have liked to see her in red. oh, i never did hear she wanted to play 2 sports. kinda makes you wonder.....it is so tough at that level.

• 1 month later...

Our 2021 recruit Allison Weidner, 5-foot-9  guard from Humphrey St. Francis was just named as a finalist for the OWH Nebraska girls  Athlete of the year. (the winner will be announced next Sunday.)

Congratulations on the nomination, and good luck Allison on the naming of Athlete of the year.   Very cool stuff !

Edited by redsteve