Cam Mack and Jervay Green are both top 25 impact JUCO transfers

Mack was ranked as the No. 2 impact transfer and the top point guard in the JC class. As a freshman at Salt Lake Community College, Mack averaged 19.1 points, 7.6 assists and 2.4 steals per game. He boasted a 2.8-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio while dishing out 10-or-more assists nine times in his only season at Salt Lake CC.

Green was rated as the No. 15 impact JC transfer after averaging 23.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game at Western Nebraska CC. As a sophomore, Green shot 55 percent from the field, including 39 percent from 3-point range to earn second-team NJCAA All-America honors. He totaled six 30-point games last season, including a school-record 51-point performance.

https://huskers.com/news/2019/8/28/mens-basketball-green-mack-ranked-among-impact-jc-transfers.aspx

3 hours ago, 49r said:

You really think Yvan is a day 1 starter @Norm Peterson?  I don't.  I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirts TBH.

Some think Yvan Ouedraogo will start simply bc he is 6'9 and 260. I was guilty of that (starting but only playing 15-20) but have since changed my mind bc of being away from the team for so long and only being 17. Also guilty of thinking more traditional starting lineups which might not be the case this year or ever under Hoiberg.

41 minutes ago, 49r said:

I agree.  I think the talent is there but he's pretty raw and needs lots of work before he'll be Big Ten ready.

Seems like a fitting description of lots of dudes we've had in the past 20 years. 

Here's hoping Coach is getting that turned around!

2 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Seems like a fitting description of lots of dudes we've had in the past 20 years. 

Here's hoping Coach is getting that turned around!

It's not just Nebraska and it's not just the past 20 years.  Big men just take time to develop into major contributors in general.  Unless your name is Zion or Shaq or something...it's always been that way.

10 minutes ago, 49r said:

It's not just Nebraska and it's not just the past 20 years.  Big men just take time to develop into major contributors in general.  Unless your name is Zion or Shaq or something...it's always been that way.

I'm not just talking big dudes...I'm talking that being an adequate description of a lot of our rosters these past decades.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Some think Yvan Ouedraogo will start simply bc he is 6'9 and 260. I was guilty of that (starting but only playing 15-20) but have since changed my mind bc of being away from the team for so long and only being 17. Also guilty of thinking more traditional starting lineups which might not be the case this year or ever under Hoiberg.

I think it was Rothstein who said it. At least that's who I was thinking of. I went along with it too, figuring Rothstein had seen more than I had.

But after that Euro tournament, I'm with you. I think he has a lot of work to do.

59 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d venture a guess that Stevenson sees a lot of time at the “Five” as Fred goes small with shooters spread all over the floor...

Agreed. Im leaning towards a Mack, Burke, Cheatham, Kavas, and Stevenson starting lineup. Hopefully the open scrimmage leads us into an undefeated football show down with Ohio State and an October filled with news, clips, and rumors about Nebrasketball practices.

Edited by khoock

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Agreed. Im leaning towards a Mack, Burke, Cheatham, Kavas, and Stevenson starting lineup. Hopefully the open scrimmage leads us into an undefeated football show down with Ohio State and an October filled with news, clips, and rumors about Nebrasketball practices.

I think I'd be good with a small-ball lineup like that. I also think Jervay Green will be a real good piece to the puzzle before 2019-20 is all said & done.

3 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think I'd be good with a small-ball lineup like that. I also think Jervay Green will be a real good piece to the puzzle before 2019-20 is all said & done.

I would include him, with the starting 5 I listed, as "firmly in" the rotation. With the last two spots being up for grabs still.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:44 AM, 49r said:

You really think Yvan is a day 1 starter @Norm Peterson?  I don't.  I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirts TBH.

The only time I expect players to redshirt under Fred will be due to NCAA regulations on transfers and injuries. There’s no point otherwise anymore with the transfer market as strong as it can be and he’s someone that plans to utilize it often. Get players in here than can play or get them out quick for someone else. 

25 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

The only time I expect players to redshirt under Fred will be due to NCAA regulations on transfers and injuries. There’s no point otherwise anymore with the transfer market as strong as it can be and he’s someone that plans to utilize it often. Get players in here than can play or get them out quick for someone else. 

You make a good point and it's definitely one I should try better to keep in mind.  

Really what I was trying to get across was not that I think he should redshirt but rather to illustrate that I don't expect Yvan to be much of an impact guy, at least not right away.  I wish I would have written that post better.  Either way, I hope I am wrong and he surprises us all.