Way too early bracketology

jason2486

BartTorvik.com has Creighton ranked #34 for the upcoming season:  http://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Creighton&year=2020

With a predicted record of 19-10 (10-8).  Getting a 5 seed with that record in the Big East might be a tad ambitious.

Penn State is quite a lot more highly regarded, coming in at #19 preseason:  http://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Penn+St.&year=2020

They are expected to go 21-10 (12-8).  They're probably much more likely to get themselves a 5 seed, but with Gritty McGritterson as their coach I would be skeptical they actually will.

FWIW, Nebraska starts off at #96 with a predicted record of 12-17 (6-14).  I personally think they'll probably do a little better, say around 15-14 (8-12), but as of right now who really knows what the Huskers are gonna do?

2 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Sad to say but I think East Omaha will be pretty good this year (and next)

I think you're probably right.  With McDermott at the helm they'll always be a high-floor low-ceiling type team, kind of a not-as-good version of the Iowa Hawkeyes.  Always hovering around 20 wins and the NCAA bubble.  But a 5-seed?  Probably gonna need to win the BET to get that, IMO.

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Interesting info on Penn St. But, srsly, who the crap is thinking brackets on August 28th?! Lunardi is a nut job.

He's doing this for clicks and attention.

That we're talking about it here is all the proof he needs that it was successful.

That said, I think any and all things bracketology are stupid, regardless of when they're published.  They're neck and neck for me with mock drafts. They're entirely meaningless to me as a sports fan.

Edited by atskooc

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

If Nebraska wins only 12 games this year I’ll eat my hat (the one with Herbie on it, not Randy Travis)

Remember in these predictive rankings like Torvik or Pomeroy, they don't include opponents of second and third days of the Multi-Team Events like the one we will be playing in the Cayman Islands this year, so there is potential for a couple more wins (or losses) in there that don't show up in their initial record prediction.  While I agree that 12 wins would be disappointing, I expect us to probably be hovering right around that .500 mark by the end of the season.

Im expecting a 14-17 to 16-15 type of record. So as most have said, right around .500

Theres no reason we shouldnt win 8 or 9 non-con games with how light our schedule is. We have the talent and depth at gaurd, but unfortunately we are a little undersized at the wing and undersized/thin in the front court. Thats gonna make it hard to win in the B1G games.

I think Hoiberg's first year will be a lot like Frost's first year. 

In a season full of “X” factors, the biggest one is how much consistency/production will we get from Cross & Drago. We can’t run-n-gun if we don’t have the ball. We need to hold our own on the glass. We’ll be better out of the chute then Frost’s football team. There won’t be any “Troy” losses or ass whuppins like Michigan laid on us...

15 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

We’ll be better out of the chute then Frost’s football team. There won’t be any “Troy” losses or ass whuppins like Michigan laid on us...

Better simply in terms of record. All the non-con teams we play to start are, no offense, but trash (Troy is a quality football program that has a winning tradition over the past 10 years or so). And if we played a basketball team as talented as Michigan's football team early on we would undoubtedly receive an "ass whuppin".

If the football team was able to play out the original schedule, I think the season would have played out a tad different but thats a rant for a different thread

Also, South Dakota State could be comparable to the football teams Troy game. Thats a winning program that wont be intimidated by us and will be visiting while we are still figuring things out (3rd game).

Edited by khoock

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Im expecting a 14-17 to 16-15 type of record. So as most have said, right around .500

Theres no reason we shouldnt win 8 or 9 non-con games with how light our schedule is. We have the talent and depth at gaurd, but unfortunately we are a little undersized at the wing and undersized/thin in the front court. Thats gonna make it hard to win in the B1G games.

I think Hoiberg's first year will be a lot like Frost's first year. 

Rained-Out!  :Eek:   (Storm Clouds must be brewing in PBA!  :Redface:)

7 hours ago, atskooc said:

He's doing this for clicks and attention.

That we're talking about it here is all the proof he needs that it was successful.

That said, I think any and all things bracketology are stupid, regardless of when they're published.  They're neck and neck for me with mock drafts. They're entirely meaningless to me as a sports fan.

Yeah, I know it's all about click-bait, it's 2019, woo-hoo bah humbug........ I would suggest that the weeks leading up to the NCAA Tournament, it has a little bit of meaning in projecting the field as a whole. Especially if there's a good track record of predicting the 68.

15 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, I know it's all about click-bait, it's 2019, woo-hoo bah humbug........ I would suggest that the weeks leading up to the NCAA Tournament, it has a little bit of meaning in projecting the field as a whole. Especially if there's a good track record of predicting the 68.

It's still not something I pay attention to, regardless of the track record.

If someone is throwing out teams and seeds and getting them right weeks out of Selection Sunday (heck even two days before), then what's the point of Selection Sunday?

I also no longer like preseason polls in football and basketball.  Give it four weeks or so (like they do with the playoff rankings) and start then.  The sports are big enough now that the early rankings aren't needed to draw interest to the games (as they were initially developed to do).

Edited by atskooc

9 hours ago, atskooc said:

It's still not something I pay attention to, regardless of the track record.

If someone is throwing out teams and seeds and getting them right weeks out of Selection Sunday (heck even two days before), then what's the point of Selection Sunday?

I also no longer like preseason polls in football and basketball.  Give it four weeks or so (like they do with the playoff rankings) and start then.  The sports are big enough now that the early rankings aren't needed to draw interest to the games (as they were initially developed to do).

All right. I concur with most of that line of reasoning as I generally don't pay attention to the bracketology or a lot of these preseason/early-season polls, either.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:58 AM, 49r said:

Remember in these predictive rankings like Torvik or Pomeroy, they don't include opponents of second and third days of the Multi-Team Events like the one we will be playing in the Cayman Islands this year, so there is potential for a couple more wins (or losses) in there that don't show up in their initial record prediction.  While I agree that 12 wins would be disappointing, I expect us to probably be hovering right around that .500 mark by the end of the season.

This all seems quite reasonable for Y1 in hoiball system, I like this. I'll be taking this same stance on it, and be closely following the team. I'll be that much more excited for progress and success in relation to that.