Pass Catchers

Norm Peterson

The following is a complete, exhaustive list of every senior wide receiver on the Nebraska football team this year:

• Jaron Woodyard
  • Kanawai Noa
  • Mike Williams

Total combined career receptions in a Husker uniform for senior wideouts: 13

The following is a complete, exhaustive list of every junior wide receiver on the Nebraska football team this year:

• JD Spielman
  • Ty Chaffin
  • Todd Honas

Total combined career receptions in a Husker uniform for junior wideouts not named JD Spielman: 0

The following is a complete, exhaustive list of every senior tight end on the Nebraska football team this year:

• No one

The following is a complete, exhaustive list of every junior tight end on the Nebraska football team this year:

• Brian Perez
  • Travis Vokolek
  • Jack Stoll

I think there will very likely be a breakout wideout for the Huskers this year besides Wan'Dale Robinson. That guy could be Noa, who had 96 career catches at Cal.

But it's probably more likely to be a freshman or sophomore and probably someone recruited by Frost.

It's kind of amazing to me that, of those two position groups that basically compose the receiving targets for our passing game, there are hardly any seniors who are likely to get very many touches, and very few juniors. And that's true even if you add in the running backs. The only senior RB likely to see any touches at all in the passing department is Wyatt Mazour. And the ONLY junior RB is Dedrick Mills.

So, other than juniors Dedrick Mills, JD Spielman and Jack Stoll, it's entirely possible that the rest of the juniors and seniors on this football team will account for 30 or fewer receptions on the season. Combined.

Considering there were 257 completed passes last year, that would be mind-blowing.

We need a great number of players and positions to take a giant step forward in order to meet the grandiose expectations of the fans. 

I think we are going to be better, but how much better will depend on the improvement. 

Norm, you mention the receivers.  Our receiving corp was pretty good last year, but Stanley is gone. Big hole and we need three or four players to step up.

Our offensive line was average at best last year.  Two new starters need to step up and the three returning starters need to improve.

Can Mills make up for the loss of Ozigbo?  Will Mo be available?  We may be very good at RB, or we could be in a world of hurt.

What about our defense?  We seem to have good leadership, but just because we have a lot of returners, are they going to be better?  I hope so.

The one thing I am pretty sure about is that AD is a heck of a QB and Frost is a heck of a coach.  I think we are going to be better, in fact we could be pretty good but there is a lot of proving that has to occur this year.