1980 Perspective

Blindcheck

21 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Couldn't get link to work so looked up the head coaching records.  Coach K= 1132-344, Coach Nee=461-433, Coach Iba=239-244. 

Pretty interesting to see that during that 20 year span Duke played 99 more games than Nebraska.

ETA, and Nebraska had more than a few decent NIT runs during that time, so they were averaging at least 4 more postseason wins than us every year...

Edited by 49r

11 hours ago, 49r said:

Pretty interesting to see that during that 20 year span Duke played 99 more games than Nebraska.

ETA, and Nebraska had more than a few decent NIT runs during that time, so they were averaging at least 4 more postseason wins than us every year...

I think you got that 99 game difference from adding up the records he gave.  That is not accurate. Those are the all-time records of each of the coaches - not the records of the teams during the 20 years.    If that was a 20 year time period - Duke would have averaged over 56 wins a year - don't think that is correct.

FWIW Iba's record at Nebraska was 106-71.  Nee's record at Nebraska was 254-190.   That would pretty much cover Nebraska for 20 years I think.   Not sure what Coach K's total record was during those years.

1 hour ago, HuskerBB said:

I think you got that 99 game difference from adding up the records he gave.  That is not accurate. Those are the all-time records of each of the coaches - not the records of the teams during the 20 years.    If that was a 20 year time period - Duke would have averaged over 56 wins a year - don't think that is correct.

FWIW Iba's record at Nebraska was 106-71.  Nee's record at Nebraska was 254-190.   That would pretty much cover Nebraska for 20 years I think.   Not sure what Coach K's total record was during those years.

I'm pretty sure that 9er already did the math, that's where the 99 came from. I believe it, Dukies are always doing well in conference (and/) or national tourneys. It adds up.

21 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I just saw a post on Reddit that was comparing Coach K to all the coaches hired in 1980.

Coach K was hired in 1980 and so was Moe Iba at Nebraska (became head coach) and Danny Nee at Ohio.

Link

To me that is Crazy

So it looks like Duke arguably made the better hire.

10 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out.

Krzyzewski's record at Duke from 1980-2000 (corresponding to the Nee and Iba eras) is 498-160.

The combined Iba and Nee records at Nebraska are 360-261.

Krzyzewski coached 37 more games in that 20 year span, but keep in mind that includes the 1994-95 season where he only coached the first 12 games of the season (9-3).  The team went 4-15 the rest of that season so an argument could be made that he coached about 56 more postseason games over that 20 year span.  Or about 3 per year.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:15 AM, jimmykc said:

Couldn't get link to work so looked up the head coaching records.  Coach K= 1132-344, Coach Nee=461-433, Coach Iba=239-244. 

So let's say that Coach K and Duke play the maximum 31 games per year and lose every single one.  The year would be 2045 before Coach K would be a .500 coach.  Holy Cow.